Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #29

When I bought my 1990 Crown Royal Signature from Calif and brought it back here to Utah I paid $1845.00 sales tax on my $29,500 sales tax. Then to add to that suprise, when I recieved my Utah title in the mail later, the vehicle year had changed from 1990 to 1989, seems Calif goes on house portion, Utah goes on chassis year. now I have the yearly tax renewal cost of $675.00 year due to the GVWR of 32,500lbs, even though my rig is 23 yrs old. I get the double wammy of both recreational vehicle luxery tax and semi-truck gvwr road impact tax every year!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you want a real run around at the county tax office, try Harris county. I honestly think they will not hire anyone with an IQ of over about 50.

Another problem is the state site does not always have the latest forms available on line.

Ken
LOL! Sadly, true, but LOL.

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
Hey, first of all, texas is collecting on taxes that was purchased out of state!! #2. No I am not married but have a wonderful female partner that put up half of the money to purchase the coach. But The state is licensed the coach. Not the people driving the coach, they are required to have a license of their own. There is no reason to require a person that will not drive to have insurance to get the coach registered!! And that was the goal!! resister it in Texas. Or should I say Van Zandt county, TX.
Actually in Texas you owe sales tax on anything purchased out of state and sent to a Texas address or registered in Texas. As for purchases from out of state that are sent to an address inside Texas it is called a USE TAX. However, Texas normally does not inforce the USE TAX except on businesses that have a tax permit.

As for a vehicle purchased outside the state and NOT previously registered outside Texas by the new owner then the new owner will pay 6.25% sales tax. If the vehicle has already been registered to you in another state then you will only pay title transfer and registration fees as you paid the sales tax in the other state.

As for Insurance... The owner(s) of the vehicle are required by state law to have liability insurance and thus if you have two people's name on the title then a very alert county employee might notice and require the insurance card to read the same. However, I would venture to state that probably most employees would only look at the year/model/vin and expiration date and not even notice the names

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSDOGHOUSE View Post
When I bought my 1990 Crown Royal Signature from Calif and brought it back here to Utah I paid $1845.00 sales tax on my $29,500 sales tax. Then to add to that suprise, when I recieved my Utah title in the mail later, the vehicle year had changed from 1990 to 1989, seems Calif goes on house portion, Utah goes on chassis year. now I have the yearly tax renewal cost of $675.00 year due to the GVWR of 32,500lbs, even though my rig is 23 yrs old. I get the double wammy of both recreational vehicle luxery tax and semi-truck gvwr road impact tax every year!
By Federal Law the model year of a "split year vehicle" is the year assigned by the MH's manufacturer, anything else is wrong. Here's the link to one of my websites where I've posted the RVIA info.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #33

Wow, apparently a number of folks are kind of misinformed. There is no deduction for sales tax if you don't itemize. If you want the sales tax deduction you have to itemize. Second, for the person who said that the burden of proof for sales tax is on the state.....well, that's flat out wrong! The burden of proof in tax matters is always on the taxpayer and I know there will be some person that will jump in here and say the Constitution says.... The burden of proof is on the state in criminal matters only. For taxes it's up to you to show that you did things the right way.

And I don't work for the government. I'm a CPA and have been practicing since the mid 70's and I teach taxation to other CPA's.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #34

Yes I understand that all or most states will burn you for buying out of state. BUT TO DEMAND INSURANCE ON A PERSON THAT WILL NEVER DRIVE THE UNIT IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY!! A person has the right to purchase a item, or share ownership. The State is licensing the Vehicle in this case. There is a seperate division that requires license to drive.
Here is another example: My wife, {now deceased} bought me a hand gun for christmas. I didn't have to go through the back ground check, she did, not that I couldn't pass it nor do I have a record.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #35

Quote:
My wife, {now deceased} bought me a hand gun for christmas. I didn't have to go through the back ground check, she did, not that I couldn't pass it nor do I have a record.
In my state and most, you now have an illegal weapon

That's why when you buy the coach, have the paper work made out, mail it up to Montana and they mail you the plates back. Tax man puts you through hell and they want to know why you do the LLC. Make it simple and fair and maybe people won't do it. Tired of driving around get inspection here then go get emissions there. get tax receipt and then stand in line for an hour and find out you left your insurance card in the car. Go get it and start all over. No way.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
That's why when you buy the coach, have the paper work made out, mail it up to Montana and they mail you the plates back. Tax man puts you through hell and they want to know why you do the LLC. Make it simple and fair and maybe people won't do it. Tired of driving around get inspection here then go get emissions there. get tax receipt and then stand in line for an hour and find out you left your insurance card in the car. Go get it and start all over. No way.
If you want to do the Montana LLC you need to see if you can comply with the laws of your state for registration. If you can comply and you can document your compliance then by all means go for it. If you can't meet the rules of your state then be aware of the penalties and interest involved in sales tax evasion. For those that tell you otherwise, you might like to get their names and addresses so they can pay your penalties and interest.

States are hurting for money and they will go to extremes to find out who is trying to beat them. I have never seen the states so active in trying to collect money. If you want to go the route of the Montana LLC, then be aware that the penalties and interest can more than double the tax owed.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #37

Tax man probably could have found Osama before The Seals did.

It's not sales tax evasion, It's avoidance and perfectly legal.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
It's not sales tax evasion, It's avoidance and perfectly legal.
It's tax evasion if the formation and ongoing administration of the Montana LLC isn't in strict compliance with the applicable laws in the state of residence.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #39

Exactly. Why do you think Glenn Beck moved to Texas? Avoidance or evasion?

You Guys all must have worked for the Government.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Wow, apparently a number of folks are kind of misinformed. There is no deduction for sales tax if you don't itemize. If you want the sales tax deduction you have to itemize. Second, for the person who said that the burden of proof for sales tax is on the state.....well, that's flat out wrong! The burden of proof in tax matters is always on the taxpayer and I know there will be some person that will jump in here and say the Constitution says.... The burden of proof is on the state in criminal matters only. For taxes it's up to you to show that you did things the right way.

And I don't work for the government. I'm a CPA and have been practicing since the mid 70's and I teach taxation to other CPA's.
My bad... I just finished doing my taxes and thought the sales tax deduction was outside of Schedule A. I went back and checked and you are correct. Yeah - makes me feel really good - me going back to school to study accounting and all
sandersmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we purchased our MH I called before registering it here in Texas and the insurance company asked who the vehicle is registered to. It is in both our names. They asked who the primary driver was, and I told them that I was and that my wife would never drive it. The insurance was issued in both our names.

Now, should something happen that the vehicle is totaled, who gets the money. We both do. The check will be made out to the both of us and will have to be signed by both of us. It has nothing to do with who is driving. You can let your friend drive it, and if they don't have insurance yours will cover it. (Well it's supposed to, I think)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Exactly. Why do you think Glenn Beck moved to Texas? Avoidance or evasion?

You Guys all must have worked for the Government.
Perry, there is no law that says any of us can't change our residency to any state we so desire. If that reduces or eliminates our state taxes so be it. In the case you are mentioning there was no law broken. That is tax avoidance. We all practice tax avoidance when we take legal deduction on our tax returns. Things like mortgage interest, sales tax on our RV's when we bought them, the interest on our RV's and so on are all legally deductibe. Avoidance is when you do not pay taxes by doing what the law allows you to do.

Evasion is when you do not pay taxes by violating a law. Licensing a vehicle in Montana through a Montana LLC when you live in a state other than Montana is illegal and you do not comply with the laws of your resident state. The motor vehicle laws of the resident state have been violated solely for the purpose of evading a tax. That is the action that gets someone on the bad side of the law and results in penalties and interest and just a whole big bunch of aggravation.

I hope that helps to clarify things.

Tags
texas