Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersmr View Post
My bad... I just finished doing my taxes and thought the sales tax deduction was outside of Schedule A. I went back and checked and you are correct. Yeah - makes me feel really good - me going back to school to study accounting and all
Sorry Maggie, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. Taxes aren't simple that's for sure. Of course the complexity of the tax law is what helps pay for my RV. For me there is a bright side, but for most folks taxes are just a royal pain in the wallet!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #44

Wayne M. Your talking about "Insurance Companies". I'm talking about the vehicle registration department requiring a person to have insurance that won't drive. They should be able to own the vehicle or partner in it without the registration department foolishly requiring insurance on a person for no reason!! The vehicle is what is being insured to get the registration & plates. It is the insurance company that insures both the driver {for rate purposes} and the vehicle.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
In NY when your child turns 16, old enough to get his/her learners permit then license, it is very likely your insurance company will raise your rates whether you like it or not. Who says your child will ever drive a car. I believe you can register a car without a drivers license too. Go figure.

Way back when I bought my first car my dad made me get my own insurance. It would have been cheaper on his policy but he didn't want anything stupid I did going on it. Made sense and I did do stupid stuff. Lucky to still be around after those years.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #46

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Evasion is when you do not pay taxes by violating a law. Licensing a vehicle in Montana through a Montana LLC when you live in a state other than Montana is illegal and you do not comply with the laws of your resident state. The motor vehicle laws of the resident state have been violated solely for the purpose of evading a tax.
This is not necessarily true. Most states have laws that require vehicles to be registered if they are in the state for a specific number of days in a calendar year and under the control of an individual licensed in that state. Typically, the times are 90-120 days. If you are a full-time RVer and your vehicle is not in your state of residence in excess of the number of days specified, you have not violated the laws of that state.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
This is not necessarily true. Most states have laws that require vehicles to be registered if they are in the state for a specific number of days in a calendar year and under the control of an individual licensed in that state. Typically, the times are 90-120 days. If you are a full-time RVer and your vehicle is not in your state of residence in excess of the number of days specified, you have not violated the laws of that state.

You are correct Doc. The big issue arises when someone is not a full timer and they license the RV in a state other than their resident state. If they can meet the requirements of their state and still stay within the law, then all is well and good. If they can't then they can be hit with the sales tax and penalties and interest.

That is exactly what happened to one of my clients. He is a NY resident who purchased an RV in Florida with a Montana LLC. As I understand the NY DMV laws you must license the vehicle in NY if it is in the state for more than 30 consecutive days. He brought the rig back to NY and kept it here without being able to document the rig leaving the state. He got a whopping bill from NY for the sales tax, penalties and interest.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about DMV regulations in Texas, but in my state proof Personal Liability and Property Damage on the vehicle has to be shown by the registered owner, or owners, of the vehicle before registration or tags will be issued. Driver age, driving record, annual mileage driven, and type vehicle are some of the things that determine the cost of the policy. My wife and I are the registered owners on our motorhome, and the insurance policy is in both our names. She never drives the motorhome, nor does my cousin Sue, but if either ever did drive it we, as the registered owners, are protected to the limits of the liability coverages.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Also in Texas, anyone living in the household that is a relative and drives the same vehicle(s) has to be specifically added to the policy. If it is relative that does not live in the household they do not have to be insured and they can drive your vehicle and b covered.

As Dieselcracker put it, ".... in my state proof Personal Liability and Property Damage on the vehicle has to be shown by the registered owner, or owners, of the vehicle before registration or tags will be issued...."

As far as I know that applies to Texas also.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #50

Possibly some of you missed my previous post on page 1 about the US Senator's yacht in Florida and registered in another country. Ships are registered under flags of convenience to reduce operating costs or avoid the regulations of the owner's country. So what is the issue of Montana LLC., if it is good for our "Honorable" leaders, then it is good for the people.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Possibly some of you missed my previous post on page 1 about the US Senator's yacht in Florida and registered in another country. Ships are registered under flags of convenience to reduce operating costs or avoid the regulations of the owner's country. So what is the issue of Montana LLC., if it is good for our "Honorable" leaders, then it is good for the people.

Rob, I agree with your statement, but in practice it doesn't work that way. Although recently a Senator from Massachusettes who also ran for President got his hands caught in the cookie jar when he licensed his yacht in Rhode Island to avoid the taxes in Mass. For most of us the rules that apply to us are not the same rules that our "Honorable" leaders follow. It's funny how we all complain about Congress and the same people get elected year after year after year. I guess it's everyone else's Congressperson who is bad, but not mine, right?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #52

Hey, I am not talking about insurance or the company policy. I am talking about a stupid rule tha Texas states the owners have to be insured on the policy to get thier license plates, when one of the owners is not going to drive the M/H!! The M/H is insured, with certificate of proof. But it wasn't stated who the drivers was.
I think that is up to the drivers license department, not the registration department.
Anyway, headed to the hospital this AM, won't return until about 10 days to read posts!!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #53

Texas doesn't have a state income tax, but they are going to get it from you some other way. You just found one of them.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife does not drive the motorhome either but her name is on the insurance bill along with an addendum to the fact that she is NOT a driver nor can she drive it.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
Hey, I am not talking about insurance or the company policy. I am talking about a stupid rule tha Texas states the owners have to be insured on the policy to get thier license plates, when one of the owners is not going to drive the M/H!! The M/H is insured, with certificate of proof. But it wasn't stated who the drivers was.
I think that is up to the drivers license department, not the registration department.
Anyway, headed to the hospital this AM, won't return until about 10 days to read posts!!
The issue is the law. The law states that the owner or owners of the vehicle will have liability insurance, it's that simple. The state has no way to verify whether one of the owners will also be a driver.

Sorry to hear of your hospital stay; best wishes to you for a speedy recovery so you can return to post!!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
Wayne M. Your talking about "Insurance Companies". I'm talking about the vehicle registration department requiring a person to have insurance that won't drive. They should be able to own the vehicle or partner in it without the registration department foolishly requiring insurance on a person for no reason!! The vehicle is what is being insured to get the registration & plates. It is the insurance company that insures both the driver {for rate purposes} and the vehicle.
The reason the State (TX) requires both owners to be insured is that if there is a liability claim, the claimant has the right to pursue actions, regardless of who was driving, against all owners. Just obey the State laws and you will be fine.

Tags
texas