Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Licensing concern - GVWR 28k plus trailer

We just purchased Dynamax Force (28k GVWR with 10k towing capacity maxed at 33k GCVW). Whole purpose of this was to tow our 24 ft (20 ft covered cabin , 4 ft tongue) covered car carrier ( trailer rating is 8k total - Actual trailer weight is 3200 lbs and car is about 3500 lbs). Cross country trips to car shows, etc.

Before purchase we were told by LEO's we knew and some people in trucking industry ... Don't worry about it .... It's an RV ...

Well - a good friend who drag races ... He and a bunch of fellow racers traveling from VA to TN were pulled over in TN this Spring. The citations (issued by state police in TN) noted a class B CDL requirement (with passenger and air brake endorsements). Some guys had Super C's like us and other big A diesel pushers. Over 26k GVWR pulling less than 10k trailer .... Class B requirement as I see written on VA DMV site and DOT regs.

Caveat - yes ... I understand if you have the trailer and/or "RV" marked with companies and commercial entities - that itself can contistute a commercial vehicle.

Since, I've called several RV manufactures, sellers, etc ... And, not to their fault, but get same thing: "well, I've heard some people get hassled and some don't".

Some of fines for these guys were in the thousands ($100 per 1k lbs over 26k).

I know without the trailer ... It's ok. The VA DMV (and most state resources I found) stated specifically exemption for RV's ... It is when you add trailer and get into that higher weight that I find nothing specific ....

Anybody have any experience or concrete information?

I don't want our first trip to Toronto from VA (we used to pull trailer with our F350) to be an odyssey of dropping the trailer in some parking lot to drive back to get pick up or pay a couple grand in fines.

Thanks for help and insight!

Hope this was in posted in right place ... Wasn't sure ....
USMA88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My understanding of TN regs is that a GVWR over 26k requires a Class B CDL, but under 26k towing under 10k does not, but I'd love to hear other opinions on this. Page 2 of section 1 of the TN CDL manual has a flow chart to help determine the requirements (there are other factors such as # passengers).
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The problem isn't the weight of the RV or trailer. RVs don't require a CDL in Virgina, even if towing a trailer.

EXCEPT when used for commercial purposes. And many states are now interpreting use of the RV to tow race cars as commercial, because participating in the races can win you prize money. So it's the fact you've got a race car that's the issue, not the fact that it's being towed by an RV.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrask View Post
My understanding of TN regs is that a GVWR over 26k requires a Class B CDL, but under 26k towing under 10k does not, but I'd love to hear other opinions on this. Page 2 of section 1 of the TN CDL manual has a flow chart to help determine the requirements (there are other factors such as # passengers).
As long as it's not for commercial purposes, TN regs don't matter. He'd be legal with his VA license if it wasn't for the race trailer.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

Thanks Flying.

I can see the "rub" with the racing events and commercial inferences.

We would be towing some old hot rods and muscle cars for drive-in and fund raising events ... Not award shows or prize shows or things like that. And personally owned. Trailer is just black.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMA88 View Post
Thanks Flying.

I can see the "rub" with the racing events and commercial inferences.

We would be towing some old hot rods and muscle cars for drive-in and fund raising events ... Not award shows or prize shows or things like that. And personally owned. Trailer is just black.
Then you're probably all right. Lots of people tow enclosed trailers behind RVs, so you're unlikely to raise any LEO interest with an unmarked trailer.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Then you're probably all right. Lots of people tow enclosed trailers behind RVs, so you're unlikely to raise any LEO interest with an unmarked trailer.
. thx!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #8

Make an appointment at the dmv in your area to see a supervisor who can inspect and provide written clarification.

Ask specifics first to insure the supervisor knows exactly what you have and can look up code to confirm what you need.

In court the ruling for anything related to motor vehicles is based on what dmv states.

Had a ticket tossed out once because I asked the judge to define a headlight before I entered my plea.. (ticket for driving with fog lights on in heavy fog...)

Judge indicated the dmv does that and tossed the ticket.

In your case the dmv person will review your vehicle as setup and all weights and then look up code specific to license required to operate it as well as any restrictions and either you get the license upgrade if needed or ask for copies of all documents showing you are good along with his card and maybe a little note indicating he reviewed it and determined good.

In your documents you bring you should have scale reports and full all side photos that the dmv person can sign as seen.

It is their job to do this so just ask and be polite and friendly.

Ask about anything you can do to the rig to improve safety such as lighting or stickers for bonus points...

The dmv sets the rules and LEO enforces those rules.

Having a document from the dmv explaining how the rules apply to your specific rig and license should allow the LEO to give you a pass.

If not then send copies to court if cited...
Old 05-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
States have started to differ on these rules.

In Texas, over 26,000 pounds on the vehicle with the engine requires a Class B license; if the tow vehicle is over 10,000 that requires a Class A license. Texas does not require these to be Commercial Driver's Licenses, just regular residential/exempt driver's licenses (although they don't call them that, they call them Driver's Licenses). The process to upgrade from a standard Class C license is basically re-applying, taking a written test, and a driving test in your rig.

Be sure to check with your local DMV to find out what your state's rules are.
W0GER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Also its not actual weight that triggers the need for these class licenses but rather gvwr that triggers the need.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
I have a letter from Tn. dmv that states no special license required for a personal RV. I carry it with me to just be sure.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I have a letter from Tn. dmv that states no special license required for a personal RV. I carry it with me to just be sure.
Cool, Loisjop...what did it take to get that letter?
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Cool, Loisjop...what did it take to get that letter?
Call to the DMV plus if you look at all the web sites for license requirements all of them I've ever seen says no special license for Tn. Reason I called the DMV is my regular license does say<26000.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the help

I have a buddy who is VP of Ops for a transport company - I explained the situation and he offered to have his DoT guy look into it with their DMV rep. as well.

Nevertheless .. I like TQ's advice ... get it straight from DMV .. at least maybe my buddies inquiries will help me understand exactly what to expect, ask, etc. ..

All that being said ... I am going to eventually obtain my CDL Class A ... wife and I own our own business (nothing to do with trucking .. though in the Army I was .. ironically) - and I always wanted to obtain the license in case we sell business, need some extra income, etc. . I just love to drive ... lol ..

So now have just another reason - and it will un-complicate this RV issue for sure.