Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Life style changes

My DH has MS. Currently the MS is in remission with some recurring flair ups. That being said we found that a Class C was not working for us. We bought the Thor Ace 29.1 and it is working much better for us. His mobility scooter fits in the rear storage compartment. He has also had a knee replacement and the MS toe drop causes him to trip himself. He can currently drive without any problems but the size of the Ace makes me comfortable if I would have to drive. I did take a drivers confidence course in which I learned a great deal.
So much for us. Please share your story.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Judy - thanks for sharing your story. I had read your earlier posts about changing out the TV in the C and when you moved to the Thor 29.1. I was not familiar with the model so I jumped over to RV.com and took a look They look like nice rigs and that is indeed a big back storage area. One thing I did not notice in your previous posts was the mention of DH's MS. So it looks like the idea of having a private forum for related topics opened you up a bit more to the entire group.

You may recall my post regarding privacy concerns and the small bit of privacy a dedicated forum would provide. Well - you really put it out there and so have some others. I'm really glad to see it and hope your post will bring us out of the woodwork and we can share ideas and tips and tricks for dealing with various situations.

So while I still want to hold on to some of my privacy for a while longer (I have shared my story with a few in PMs and talked around the edges) and I owe ya one. My privacy thoughts aren't due to not wanting share so much as it is safety and identification.

Folks I have never met - may have never even posted to me etc - already know where I live - what I drive - and how I feel about a lot of things. To go much further I might as well post my picture. For the same reasons, I pay for licensee plates when I could have DAV plates for free. Maybe that's crazy but I just don't want a sign on my MH or car that says - hey I'm disabled. I can't run from you. I don't know if anyone else feels that way or not. Believe me - I've had 38 years to think about it so it's not like I'm having a transition or acceptance problem.

I hope I can help someone dealing with things and will do what I can to support the cause. Thanks again for sharing your story. This whole discussion of RVing with or in service to one with disabilities has me thinking more about how to give back and help others. And that's a good thing.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Steve and Annie,

I agree about not having disability license plates. I fear it would advertise me as an easy target, but I must carry my power wheelchair on a carrier above my towbar. At least when I'm out in the toad I don't display my lessened ability to fight back or get away.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve & Annie,
Thanks for your reply. We have a handicap plate on our car. We currently do not have a toad. The MH does not have a handicap plate, for what it is worth we just carry the hang tag. Some camp grounds do have handicap sites and we do not like to use them if we do not display the hand tag. As for the plates have you really looked at the number of people that have the plates and look like the most fit person you know. Now don't start on the "not all disabilities can be seen". I know that, as the kids say "just saying". As for "I can't run from you" I couldn't either but I can stay and fight. Notice I didn't say stand and fight. "just saying" Maybe I'm just naive.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972
Steve & Annie,
Thanks for your reply. We have a handicap plate on our car. We currently do not have a toad. The MH does not have a handicap plate, for what it is worth we just carry the hang tag. Some camp grounds do have handicap sites and we do not like to use them if we do not display the hand tag. As for the plates have you really looked at the number of people that have the plates and look like the most fit person you know. Now don't start on the "not all disabilities can be seen". I know that, as the kids say "just saying". As for "I can't run from you" I couldn't either but I can stay and fight. Notice I didn't say stand and fight. "just saying" Maybe I'm just naive.
I would not say you are naive at all. And I never suggest my way is anything but that! Lol. I have a placard as well. And I did avoid the defense topic that shall not be named... But the truth is you come looking for it - you will certainly find it. I don't advertise that either lol. And I'm with you on properly displaying the placard in the appropriate surroundings. I just choose to pick the time and place to "display" my badge.

When using the car we generally use the placard and parking but have not used the "accessible" spaces at a CG. That usually means close to the laundry / showers and we prefer to choose - when given the choice - our space based on other factors like trees - site condition etc. I rarely if ever use CG showers - and we have W/D on board so we have limited laundry needs. Plus Annie likes to stroll her way to the CG office or laundry, etc. Now I will say - if I find a situation where "the site" is next to a great pool I may just take it.

I also avoided heaping praise upon you for your pursuits. I'm personally uncomfortable with folks making a big deal about things and have heard that from some others as well. So at the risk of offense - Tip of the Hat to you both. I really hope we cross paths one day. We'd love to meet ya and take a gander at that 29.1. Hope I did not offend in any way. Not my intent.

Safe travels.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not take offense on things that are said with good intentions, nor am I looking for or expect praise for my pursuits. I too hope to meet not only you but also others on this forum in our and or your travels.
Hugs
Home base Phoenix Az