Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #15

Literally thousands of posts onthis discussion. Use the search function above for hours of reading. BTW myfiver came with LT tires. Will never go back to ST junk.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #16

This thread needs to be closed before somebody post something good about an ST tire.
Something other than they make good bumpers on a boat dock.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
This thread needs to be closed before somebody post something good about an ST tire.
Something other than they make good bumpers on a boat dock.
I just HAD to do it. The ST tires on our TT are about 12yrs. old and no problems. They may be from before China and the TT is about 1500lbs under the GVWR when loaded.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #18

With load range "E" rated ST tires, I was over 2000lbs under gross weight rating and still had problems with ST tires. One guy at Discount Tire tried to tell me that ST tires dissipate the heat better than LT tires.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #19

I don't care where they came from, if you're traveling on 12 year old tires, you're a tire problem waiting to happen and it might not be pretty when it does.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I don't care where they came from, if you're traveling on 12 year old tires, you're a tire problem waiting to happen and it might not be pretty when it does.
You may be right but the TT we traded in about 15yrs ago had tires that had been on it for 25 years and were used when I put them on.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #21

You have to actually move the vehicle to have them go bad.

In my shed, I have the tires off of the trailer that brought us from Ohio to AZ some 60 years ago, and they are still holding air. Wanna buy them CD?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
CD

Quote:
You have to actually move the vehicle to have them go bad.

In my shed, I have the tires off of the trailer that brought us from Ohio to AZ some 60 years ago, and they are still holding air. Wanna buy them CD?
I have some of those too. They are on a tractor that sat out in the eastern Wa. sun for 25 yrs. Even though they still hold air, I won't even drive it out of the barn. The TT we have now has been used every year. Some things that I think make a difference. We don't have the sun and heat that some of you have, the TT is 1500 lbs under the GVWR (less heat) and I don't drive 65/70 like some do. (less heat) It is stored in the barn or in the shade of a building with a cover so the tires are not exposed to the sun so much.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #23

Ozone is everywhere. ST tires are only rated for 65 MPH. I drove at 72(motor got happy at 72), but I had a TPMS on the trailer tires and truck tires and the trailer tires never got hotter than the truck tires.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:42 AM   #24

As one "new" to RV/Trailer living, I am somewhat mystified as to the mistrust of "ST" tires.

Would not the manufacturer assume some liability for poor/substandard tires in the event of a catastrophic failure?

Other than the production savings, what would a manufacturer gain by using unsuitable tires?

My new trailer [LivinLite/Camplite QBB16] came with 185/75D13 ST tires, six ply. I am sure that they are "foreign" made but am I to conclude that the tires are a hazard from the manufacture and change them?

IF, I change them, should I petition the manufacturer for replacement cost based on perceived hazard of the tires.

My intention is to tow at 55, which I think is the legal limit in most states for trailer tow. I have a sufficient vehicle to go faster but I am in no hurry
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #25

Denman paid for my trailer and fender damage to my 5er.

I was able to rebuild the fenders when the Titan tires blew.

An unconfirmed source told me that when Carlisle started having their tires made in China, they lasted longer than the ones made in the US.

You could go with Michelin, but don't expect them to stand behind their tires.

It's a known fact that ST tires, in general, do not last as long as you would think they should.

As always, YMMV.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
You could go with Michelin, but don't expect them to stand behind their tires.
That's an interesting statement. We've had catastrophic tire failures with the Goodyear Marathons (Jayco 3030RKSS 5th wheel) and Goodyear G614 RSTs (current 5th wheel), and Goodyear in both cases replaced the tires and paid to repair the damage to the RVs.

Conversely, we switched to Michelin XPS Ribs on our previous Jayco 3610RLTS 5th wheel before the OEM Goodyear Wrangler HTs failed, and we've switched to 17.5" Michelin XTAs on our Mobile Suites. I've never had the first problem with any of our Michelins.

The choice for us, then, was to stay with Goodyear knowing that they would stand behind their tire failures or to go with Michelins and not have the failures in the first place. We chose the latter.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #27

When two Michelin tires on my truck blew at different times, Janet Stevens at Michelin said it was "Run Flat" and didn't cover my $1000 deductible. The second time, I had an independent company evaluate the tire and stuck it to Michelin. Tires that go boom with 80 PSI and destroy the side of the bed and exhaust pipe are not run flat, at least not before they blow.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OEM truck tires (LTX-type Michelin included) are generally of fabric/steel construction (fabric body plies, steel belt[s]). The Michelin tires I've used on my 5th wheels are commercial-type tires of steel/steel construction. They run much cooler than the fabric/steel tires and, to me, are worth the extra cost. Of course, its up to each individual - your money and your choice.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires