Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Light truck tires

I would like to get your opinion on the use of light truck tires instead of trailer tires on travel trailers and 5er's. My friend has been going this route for many years and feels that you can purchase a better quality tire, with a lot better selection of brands and load ratings. As well the pricing is better as you seldom see trailer tires go on sale. His idea makes some sense to me, but I am not sure.
As well I have spoken to a gentleman that has been in the tire business for over 40 years and he as well feels this is the way to go.
This all said, there is no greater experience that what is available on this forum.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Akibase that sounds alot like asking if you can use semi tires instead of RV tires on your motorhome. I don't see a problem as long as they are the right size and load range for the weight. Of course, i'm a long way from being a tire expert.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We had a Keystone Montana for five years. The owner's manual said either ST or LT tires would work as long as they meet the cargo capacity requirement. After some tire problems we got rid of our Chinese ST Missions and put on Bridgestones...problems gone.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just be sure that your wheels can take the air preasure used in LT tires. Some have to change the wheels also. Just a thought.............
Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #5

I switched about 3 years ago from ST to LT and will not go back. I prefer the LT, much better built tire.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Supposedly the sidewalls in trailer tires are stiffer, to compensate for turning. Because trailer axles are stationary and don't turn, the tires are subjected to increased friction when turning, hence the stiffer side walls, which supposedly reduces the amount of sideways "roll" when turning.
At least that's what I heard.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
CD

I went that way in 1970 on a single axle TT. I went from 14" 4ply trailer tires to 15" LT 6 ply tires. 25 years later when I traded it in, the tires were still on it. The only problem was with the wheels (Ford car wheels) but that is another story.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my 2006 cedar creek fiver came from the factory with LT series tires.
they worked quite well
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #9

LT tires on ALL my trailers...NEVER any issues, unlike the "ST" trailer specific tires.
I have used LT tires since 93 and towed all over the country, with thousands of trouble free miles
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #10

I had 12.1K, 33' 5er and went thru about 5 brands and load rated 15" ST tires with blow outs and separations. I changed to Yokohama 215/85-R16 LT tires and never looked back. So did several friends with toy haulers and enclosed trailer with the same results. Do it, you won't regret it one bit.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
I've never had ST tires that didn't have tread separation problems (I'm classifying the Goodyear G614 RST trailer specific tire as an ST even though its sidewall designation is LT235/85R-16). On a previous 5th wheel, I switched to LT Michelin XPS Ribs and never had another problem. On my current 5th wheel, I've switched to 17.5" Michelin XTS load range J tires, and they've been trouble-free as well.

One thing to watch, though, is the load rating on the LT tires. Some ST tires have higher maximum load ratings than the equivalent size and load range LT tire. You might have to go up on size and/or load range when substituting an LT tire - if you go up on load range, then you have to ensure that your wheels are good for the higher inflation pressures.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #12

I put ST tires on my 7000# rated enclosed, but my loaded weight is only 5280 with full fluids. I also put TPMS sensors on it. If one blows or separates, I'm going with LT tires.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Changed to Lt tires on my 28 ft enclosed as soon as oem tires failed did not take long. The truck tires are way better the only problem is when you do have a failure the truck tires are steel belted and will sometimes damage the rig where trailer tires are mostly fiberglass belted and won't tear the trailer sides up. At least that is how mine worked.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
I would like to get your opinion on the use of light truck tires instead of trailer tires on travel trailers and 5er's. My friend has been going this route for many years and feels that you can purchase a better quality tire, with a lot better selection of brands and load ratings. As well the pricing is better as you seldom see trailer tires go on sale. His idea makes some sense to me, but I am not sure.
As well I have spoken to a gentleman that has been in the tire business for over 40 years and he as well feels this is the way to go.
This all said, there is no greater experience that what is available on this forum.
ST tires are all made in China.
Chinese trailer tires = JUNK!
Use LT tires with the correct rating = HAPPY
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires