Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #1

Has anyone found they have very insufficient lighting under their awning?? We like to sit out under the awning at night but we have no light on the outer wall of our motorhome. We have a yellow light above our entrance door but that's it. Has anyone out there installed lighting in the wall of the motorhome itself? We have a pull out grill, sink/countertop and can't see when grilling at night...any suggestions?? thank you--
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #2

Has anyone found they have very insufficient lighting under their awning?? We like to sit out under the awning at night but we have no light on the outer wall of our motorhome. We have a yellow light above our entrance door but that's it. Has anyone out there installed lighting in the wall of the motorhome itself? We have a pull out grill, sink/countertop and can't see when grilling at night...any suggestions?? thank you--
Old 04-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found that rope lighting is a simple solution. I can move it at will and provide task lighting wherever I desire it...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #4

The rope lighting works very well, some of the patio lights are ok too.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I "third" the rope lighting. It is easier to mount on the awning than alot of the string type lights, is less fragile, and can be moved around if necessary. We bought a dimmer type plug that plugs into the 110V outlet on the outside wall of the coach and plug the rope lighting into it. that way we can adjust depending on the "mood"!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I "fourth" the rope lighting suggestion.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #7

Why I thank you all for the above suggestions and I think I will try rope lighting! lol! Thank you all for your responses!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I too have used rope lighting and have also installed a security light on the wall of coaches when the refrigerator is on the patio side. You can carefully drill a hole thru the wall at the refrigerator location and use that vent chase as a means to get 12 volts for the light. A switch can be installed on the bottom edge of a vent cover recessed vent hole. Wished I had taken some pictures as it can discribe what would take many words. Oh well, like they say hind sight is 20/20.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:02 AM   #9

Heady,the rope lights are a great way to go. The clear ones give off more light then the color one. As mentioned if they are to bright you can use a dimmer.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #10

Camping World sells a ton of lights that run in the track of the awning. The wife wanted some lights that she could play cards outside at night. (Nevermind the tons of insects they draw) Not to be dissuaded, I got the "globe" lamps (all six) and installed 40 watt bulbs in them. The first time we turned them on it dimmed the power grid in the park! But she sure liked the light until the bugs came. We now have 10 watt bulbs. Just enough light to feel comfortable and just enough to find the rig at night.
Chet
Old 04-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #11

Well, it's definately off to Camping World for rope lighting! The responses were great, and thank you all...I guess they can just clip somehow...??
Old 04-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not to be dissuaded, I got the "globe" lamps (all six) and installed 40 watt bulbs in them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First time we used ours we put them on as we left our camper and went visiting a couple rows down, thinking we would have light when we came back. Once it got dark, the campground owner was afraid planes would land, (and he could see his electric bill going sky high) so he turned them down for us (Oh my goodness, when we tried them in the dark ourselves, we couldn't believe it LOL!). Since then, DJ, on this board, built us a dimmer, and we seldom have them on high. I love them, and I love that we can have them up bright to play games, and down dim for mood.
A friend bought us a gift of this gadget from Walmart which is the ultimate in laziness. We plug the lights into it, before the dimmer, and once we get in the trailer, we can click our lights off without going outside. We can also turn them on, if someone comes to the door. Our awning also came with lights that are always there, and they hook into own patio light..but we seldom bother to hook them up.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Use the plastic awning light holders that go in the awning track. I used the lartge "S" hooks. They will snap over the rope lighting and when you remove them, leave the snaps on the rope lighting and remove both from the plastic tabs. You still need to remove the plastic tabs before you put your awning up though.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #14
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
You got to have Tacky lights.......
We have Bud lights of bottles and frogs, and of course being honorary TX boomer's we have some flamingos too.

The lights will help, you dont want it to bright, or you can't see the stars.