Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Believe it or not lightening goes from the ground UP. The' strike' you see is air heated to incandescence by incredible billions of electrons rushing through it. The 'strikes' can also be cloud to cloud, which accounts for the aerial displays you see. Tires are actually a big help in stopping or reducing the intensity of the strike. but with the voltages involved they can only do so much.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Question is what good is household surge protection at panel of lightning roaming through internal wiring?
I am certain that the "more is better" scenarios being described are better, but I am pretty lazy and prefer off the shelf solutions. I typically buy what the electric utility company calls a whole house surge protector. The utility then adds a small amount to your monthly electric bill. I then use local off the shelf surge protectors for expensive devices in the house - I try to buy what seems to be the better ones (and more expensive). Our stick and brick is now in Central Fl. We get a lot of lightening, some of which have been very close to us. The utility company provided protector worked when lightning struck a pole in front of the house. The surge protector and electric meter were fried but nothing in the house was damaged.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #17

My neighbor's property a few doors down the street took a bad strike a few days ago. I went down to take a look when I heard about it. I was stunned to see that the lightning came out of the ground and through their water pipe that leads into their house. The pipe had to be replaced. It was ruptured. They were without water for a few days. It was kind of weird because they are completely surrounded by tall trees. That lightning could have easily taken a path up a tree but instead came up out of the ground after blowing up their water pipe. It never touched a tree.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
My neighbor's property a few doors down the street took a bad strike a few days ago. I went down to take a look when I heard about it. I was stunned to see that the lightning came out of the ground and through their water pipe that leads into their house. The pipe had to be replaced. It was ruptured. They were without water for a few days. It was kind of weird because they are completely surrounded by tall trees. That lightning could have easily taken a path up a tree but instead came up out of the ground after blowing up their water pipe. It never touched a tree.
It always seeks metal if it can,

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I am certain that the "more is better" scenarios being described are better, but I am pretty lazy and prefer off the shelf solutions. I typically buy what the electric utility company calls a whole house surge protector. The utility then adds a small amount to your monthly electric bill. I then use local off the shelf surge protectors for expensive devices in the house - I try to buy what seems to be the better ones (and more expensive). Our stick and brick is now in Central Fl. We get a lot of lightening, some of which have been very close to us. The utility company provided protector worked when lightning struck a pole in front of the house. The surge protector and electric meter were fried but nothing in the house was damaged.
Ahhh - but you DID follow the "more is better" forrmula. You had the whole house unit (and the one put on by the electric company is good, plus they service it and replace it if hit) ... then you follow up with decent off the shelf units where needed. Your strike right by your house, which blew out the meter and main protector but nothing else, is a perfect example of how a system should work.

There really is a reason why here in Central Florida it is called "The Lightning Capital of the World"!, so be extra careful.

Kathryn

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Believe it or not lightening goes from the ground UP. The' strike' you see is air heated to incandescence by incredible billions of electrons rushing through it. The 'strikes' can also be cloud to cloud, which accounts for the aerial displays you see. Tires are actually a big help in stopping or reducing the intensity of the strike. but with the voltages involved they can only do so much.
Hmmm ... perhaps sometimes that is correct ... but often not. The electrical charge is in the atmosphere - that is why you CAN have cloud to cloud strikes, or strikes on airplanes, etc.

Here in Central Florida we are famous for golfers getting hit by lightning, sometimes even have pictures with the stories, and the doctor's descriptions, which the media LOVE, are very clear - it hit the upraised golf club, left burn marks as it traveled down the arm and leg, then blew out the foot and shoe as it went to ground.

And those strikes that hit ACs on the roofs of commercial buildings, or hit nearby power lines or transformers on the poles, all send that "hit" (giant surge) DOWN the power lines, an easy path to follow as it spends energy on its WAY to ground.

That is why surge protection is able to be so effective. It is almost impossible to protect from a hit coming UP - like on the water pipes.

Kathryn

Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I used to work on mt. Wilson near LA on TV transmitters and one lighting strike was so severe that it came into an equipment enclosure and vaporized the copper cladding from all the circuit boards in a paging system. After reading these posts I will add a surge protector to our MH.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Favorite Heavenly Body Site

This is not really the topic of this thread but check out today's APOD at the heavenly body site above.

It is a time lapse movie of a lightening bolt. Very interesting.

IF you are reading this tomorrow, or later, go to the bottom of the linked page and find the word CALENDAR.. Click on that choose 2012, July 23.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppolitis View Post
I heard about the lightning striking an RV in NY. Wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. Anything to do for this?
Here's a link to an interesting story....with pictures!

Zapped!