Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #1

We're about a year away from selling the sticks/bricks & replacing it with a 30 ft 5er to FT. We've been doing massive research, making lists, pitching etc. I've read a couple of books by FT'ers & was shocked when one woman said they have ONE set of sheets & ONE set of towels....???
OK, so I admit I'm probably not the norm....we live near Chicago & I have winter flannels--3 sets & summer cottons--3/4 sets. I can't imagine being out there with ONE set--I don't plan to go to the laundromat that often for one thing.
How about towels too? We are spoiled with bath sheets.... Larry has said he can go back to regular sized, I don't want to give them up.

So what DO you all have out there? I've seen the "kitchen essentials" lists here, but nothing on this topic.

Linda
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #2

We're about a year away from selling the sticks/bricks & replacing it with a 30 ft 5er to FT. We've been doing massive research, making lists, pitching etc. I've read a couple of books by FT'ers & was shocked when one woman said they have ONE set of sheets & ONE set of towels....???
OK, so I admit I'm probably not the norm....we live near Chicago & I have winter flannels--3 sets & summer cottons--3/4 sets. I can't imagine being out there with ONE set--I don't plan to go to the laundromat that often for one thing.
How about towels too? We are spoiled with bath sheets.... Larry has said he can go back to regular sized, I don't want to give them up.

So what DO you all have out there? I've seen the "kitchen essentials" lists here, but nothing on this topic.

Linda
Old 06-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As a single guy, I had to make those tough decisions myself.

I have 2 sets of cotton sheets and 2 sets of towels. I have no plans to be anywhere that would require flannel sheets.

I have oversized bath towels, close to a bath sheet in size.

These matters are determined by personal preference, space considerations, and whether you have a W/D onboard.

There are no rules and you can do whatever you like.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
As Dirk said, take as many sets as you want and have room (and weight capacity) for. Unless you're planning on doing some winter camping (shudder!), ditch the flannel sheets.

We DO carry only one set of sheets and one set of towels. However, we also do laundry once a week, so it's not a big deal. Certainly, if we were going to go two or three weeks between doing laundry, we'd have more sets of each.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #5

One factor to consider is where will you store the dirty set of linens and dirty towels. I carry 2 sets of each. When I change them I put on the second set/towels and do laundry putting the clean ones in the cupboard. One set of each would wear out pretty quickly and then what would you do IF you happend to have guests?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I put my dirty clothes, towels, etc. in the washer until wash day. No hamper needed.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I respectfully disagree with LindaH in regards to the Flannel sheets . You will be full timing so you never know where you might end up and at what time of the year you might be there.
I personally won't be without my flannel sheets in the coach...but then.. that is MY own opinion!

My thoughts..I will always have 2 sets of both-you cannot see into the future...so you never know when you may need that second set... It isn't like you have easy access to laundry chores if you don't have a built in "laundry center"

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #8

Well you know those opinions....We always used flannel sheets in our house year round because we love that soft feel they have. However we have ditched them for living full time in the motor home because you cannot wash the whole thing in one session in a Splendide. We have moved to the jersey knit sheets. This gave us the best compromise on the "feel" issue and the fitted bottom, top sheet and two pillow cases (queen) can all be washed and dried in one load. Lots of sheets went to Goodwill & Salvation Army when we moved into the MH.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #9

We are fulltime and use flannel sheets year round. We find them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I carry two sets of sheets and three sets of towels. The towels are a tad smaller than bathsheets.

We also have the newest Splendide so can wash the whole set of flannel sheets or four of the towels. I only dry them alittle then take the stuff out of the machine and put on a dryer rack. If I can't use the dryer rack I do then wash smaller loads so the load can be dried completely in the dryer.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #10

2 sets of bath towels. They are large, thick and take a while to dry, especially in humid summers or rainy times. Sometimes I have to line dry clothes. Sometimes it rains when I need to line dry clothes. Sometimes I don't feel like washing clothes. This is why I have a second set. I have had to use them both.

3 sets of sheets (300 thread count minimum will wear longer). I had a large dog who liked to crawl in bed when she was cold (with wet, muddy paws). She liked to sleep under the covers on the sheets. I have used all 3 sets (rained for a week straight) before getting to a washer/dryer. Dog passed away but I still kept the 3 sheet sets.

I no longer use my flannel sheets, they are for a waterbed and I have a regular bed in the RV. I trashed my "T-Shirt"/knit jersey sheets. They were terrible.

I also use a sleeping bag as a comforter that I slip inside a duvet cover. The cover is alot easier to wash than the sleeping bag.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed and Cheryl:
One set of each would wear out pretty quickly and then what would you do IF you happend to have guests? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like in OVERNIGHT guest??? I don't know about you, but we only have one bed and no room for overnight guests. If someone wants to come and visit us, they can get a motel room someplace nearby.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We aren't full timers but keep 1 set of flannel sheets and an extra set of regular sheets on board.It would be bad for one of us to get sick during the night,upchuck and have no clean linens for the bed. I have an extra set or two of towels and many extra hand towels as they get more use and have to be replaced more often. The longest we are out is usually a month,but not always convenient to wash.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #13

I could have used my flannel sheets (if I had brought them) in Florida this past fall. It dropped down to 18 degrees. Bring what makes you feel comfortable on those nights you would need them. We carry two sets for our bed and one set for a quest. Six towels and many dish towels. Consider your weight in everything you bring.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #14

Hi
I have just spent the last month debating should I buy a C or A Class after going for the A class I thought I was done.

As a single I never even thought about bedding etc I have no idea what a flannel sheet is the wife used to do everything lol.I may have to make a list of all the stuff I need.

Regards Paul
The Limey is offline   Reply With Quote