Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #1

This is something we do that my wife started a couple of years ago. She saves all the lint collected by the dryer into bags. We take a bag with us when we go camping and use a small amount to start our campfires. The beauty of it is there is no residue. Unlike paper that will fly around after burning,it burns completly. The wife saves it all winter.

Thought I would pass this along.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #2

This is something we do that my wife started a couple of years ago. She saves all the lint collected by the dryer into bags. We take a bag with us when we go camping and use a small amount to start our campfires. The beauty of it is there is no residue. Unlike paper that will fly around after burning,it burns completly. The wife saves it all winter.

Thought I would pass this along.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #3

Your right we did that years ago also. It also helps start your fire if it has been raining recently and things are damp but not soaked. Put the lint into the cardboard egg cups, pour on some parafin wax and you have a sustained flame when you light it. Cheap and effective.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #4

That is good advice. How much is a small amount? Thanks for sharing

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #5

Great idea ...and too, the price is right.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:48 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
You can also stick a candle stub in the middle of the egg carton spot so that you have a wick. They work well. I learned about these fire starters when I was a Girl Scout leader.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #7

I have never thought of saving my dryer lint! Always knew that it would be good for something. I will be taking it along for the next trip!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #8

Very Interesting! We will give it a try! I often wondered if there was a good use for the lint!

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allegro Happy:
That is good advice. How much is a small amount? Thanks for sharing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A small amount would be a little more than a fist full for me. It really doesn't take much. A small fist full and a few twigs for kindling and it takes right off. We currently have three bags of it saved at this point. All ready for the camping season...
Old 05-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #10

regarding how much, we filled the egg cups of the one dozen cardboard ( not styrofoam) egg carton poured melted paraffin wax on each little cup. Break off 1-2 for starting each fire, easy to carry and store and cheap. The candle is a good idea too. DW used to do preserving so we just recyled the wax at no cost.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #11

I use the lint trick too - however, I soak my lint in lamp oil and store it bulk in a recycled plastic peanut butter jar. Just a chunk the size of a golf ball will start the wettest wood. I use it at home to get my family room wood stove lit. No kindling - just the wood and a pinch of soaked lint. Works every time!
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #12

.....your wives don't have a lot to do with their spare time do they?....I'd make then get a part time job just to keep things quiet around the RV for a while each day.....so I could get a nap without being disturbed....this Martha Stewart thing is getting out of hand......geofkaye
Old 05-15-2005, 03:43 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
.....your wives don't have a lot to do with their spare time do they?....I'd make then get a part time job just to keep things quiet around the RV for a while each day.....so I could get a nap without being disturbed....this Martha Stewart thing is getting out of hand......geofkaye </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not much to do?? My wife washes clothes for 7 people.. She can't find time for herself half the time. We really pile up the lint with that kind of washing. Hey, maybe I could market my lint..!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Believe it or not, there is a market for dryer lint.

Ebay. Ya! I know!! Hey, what the heck, if they're having fun, who cares?

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote