Well, after 8 months I finally have functioning levelers!
Seems like this must be a unique problem, since no one joined the discussion but you, Bob. So as you asked, I'm posting.
Using the voltages in the diagram on page 17 of the Power Gear manual that I attached on the first post, I began checking all the voltages. Everything checked out.
What complicated things was that the pins on the new controls, both control box and touchpad, were not configured to accept the plug on the original wiring bundle that connected the two original controls. Each control was shipped as a "kit" that included a short adaptive connector. (A couple of the wires in the connector didn't match the colors on the original, but as it turned out that was OK. Not sure why they did that.)
This is where I got lucky. As I was plugging the harness from the touchpad into the control box...the green ground wire fell out! It didn't break, i.e. there were no wire strands left inside the connector, the whole wire just fell out! I was able to make a reasonably good connection (this is VERY small gauge wire) and will try to get another adapter from Lippert. (wish me luck)
The anticlimactic story is...I turned the system on at the touchpad...and it worked!
We've all had those jobs where we fix something, and then scratch our head and wonder what the problem really was. The bad ground connection was on the adapter that shipped with the new control box. So that was A
problem, but not the original one.
Changing out the touchpad didn't help. (the tech at the dealer told me is was definitely the touchpad.)The Power Gear tech confirmed that if all the lights on the touchpad are "on solid" that is, not blinking, then it definitely indicates a defective control box. Mine had been on solid. (Note: if they are all blinking it usually means that the control box needs to be calibrated, and that's not a big job)
Maybe the ground connection on the adapter harness was hanging by a thread when I connected the box the first time. Lippert said the box was OK. So I can only assume that the original control box was was indeed the culprit, and the defective harness just complicated my misery. At any rate, things are working!
A couple of comments for the next guy:
1. In my testing, some of the grounds were not perfect. Some were showing a few ohms. That turned out not to be a problem - with one glaring exception - so check all the plugs/harnesses.
2. Oddly enough, the primary source of ground for the control box is pin #1
on the pump harness connector
. (item 4 on the .pdf noted above) Be sure to check it.
3. Touch pad harness connector is item #2
4. The control box is installed by the RV manufacturer and in the case of my Damon, was mounted on the belly board between the frame rails, about midway down, covered by a plastic enclosure. I understand that some manufacturers mount them on the inside top of one of the storage bins.
Their orientation is important, and they have to be mounted upside down and an arrow facing to the front of the rig. (for the self-leveling feature)
5. PDF that I included in the first post has a wealth of information about the leveling systems, and includes a range of years (and controls) AND some great troubleshooting helps.
Hope someone can benefit from my travails - and education