Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Question Liquid cleaner/wax

What do you recommend I use on my RV?

I just bought a 1999 Class A Tiffin Allegro which has a splotched top (I guess it is fiberglass and the splotches are mold?) and I need to do the outside (which is for sure fiberglass). It has all the common problems including just a few black smears, and mainly chalky white paint (oxidized). I don't know how to tell which phase of deterioration it has. It is in fairly good condition (over-all) and I don't intend to make it perfect but I'd like to make it look a little better and protect it from deteriorating further without doing an excessive amount of work.

I have heard there is a "One-Step" cleaner/waxer -- apply it and you don't need to polish. Is that true? What do I look for? Is it any good?

Also, I need some headlite adjustment things (which are black plastic and threaded on the inside. They go on the backside of fiberglass which is behind the headlights). Where can I get them and how do I adjust?

Thanks RPL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #2

McGuires sells an excellent line of boat/RV products in the blue bottle. It is four steps but your results will be worth it. Also Collinite makes an excellent wax. Many people are also touting how great floor polish is on the sides of their RV's. search Zep wet look or the more expensive Poliglow products. There will be no substitite for good hard work to get the finish back. What you use after that is up to you. Personally tried the acrilic finish stuff. Still paying for that mistake. There is no substitite for quality marine wax IMHO.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #3

There is a product, commonly found in the paint department called TSP. It is a very strong cleaner. I suggest to work from the bottom up. Clean streaks can be a problem too. Use lots of water, be careful and follow directions on the container. Rinse well!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
McGuires sells an excellent line of boat/RV products in the blue bottle. It is four steps but your results will be worth it. Also Collinite makes an excellent wax. Many people are also touting how great floor polish is on the sides of their RV's. search Zep wet look or the more expensive Poliglow products. There will be no substitite for good hard work to get the finish back. What you use after that is up to you. Personally tried the acrilic finish stuff. Still paying for that mistake. There is no substitite for quality marine wax IMHO.

Not to steal the thread but what was the price you paid for the acrylic (Zep)?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post

Not to steal the thread but what was the price you paid for the acrylic (Zep)?
It's in the area of $18 @ gallon at Home Depot. I put 5 coats on last year, probably 1 ot 2 more this year and I still have over 1/2 gal left. My '99 looks like new! I compare it to having it clear coated
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

Try using Bar Keepers friend then wax. I think you will be surprised.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 82 30 ft MH

My MH was Blk with tree sap, blk mold from the top to the bottom when I bought her last season. I wish I would have taken pictures of the before I
have the after one below.
I went to Home Depot and bought a house cleaner that goes on the end of a garden hose, (safe for fiberglass) I started @ the bottom and worked my way up do not let it dry on MH.I then used my pressure washer to take it off and along went the mold and everything else it took 8 hours. I the used McGuire's heavy oxygenation remover and my professional size buffer. I then applied a coat of McGuire's Next Generation wax. This season I put another coat of wax on her.
She looks like a new MH again. We went to a large MH sales lot south of the cites to empty the blk/gray tanks this week, (5 bucks) by the time I got to the rear of the MH 3-4 guys from the shop were out there looking @ the MH and were shocked when I told them it was a 82. They were impressed by the shine on her. I asked if I could trade it even for a 40 ft DP but they declined. Bummer...
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	41457  
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Suggest that you take a look at your Tiffin Owner's Manual Re: Exterior Care, before you purchase and apply just any type of cleaner or wax. Best of luck.

Charles G.
Charles G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It's in the area of $18 @ gallon at Home Depot. I put 5 coats on last year, probably 1 ot 2 more this year and I still have over 1/2 gal left. My '99 looks like new! I compare it to having it clear coated

I'm sorry.... my bad. I know the material cost and have the Zepp wet look on mine.

I was specifically asking 450donn about his comment " Personally tried the acrilic finish stuff. Still paying for that mistake." It sounds like he's had a problem with his finish. I hear so little negative info VS positive I was looking for input to his experience.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use the Mcquires cleaner wax 50. At the marine supplies store it's in a blue bottle. At an auto parts store or Walmart, it's in a red bottle. Same stuff, lower cost. It takes the black streaks out and leaves a sweet shine. If you need a restorer wax they make one too. A little more gritty but leaves a nice protective coating. I buy the quart bottle for about $8 at Autozone or Advanced Auto. Good luck!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
My MH was Blk with tree sap, blk mold from the top to the bottom when I bought her last season. I wish I would have taken pictures of the before I
have the after one below.
I went to Home Depot and bought a house cleaner that goes on the end of a garden hose, (safe for fiberglass) I started @ the bottom and worked my way up do not let it dry on MH.I then used my pressure washer to take it off and along went the mold and everything else it took 8 hours. I the used McGuire's heavy oxygenation remover and my professional size buffer. I then applied a coat of McGuire's Next Generation wax. This season I put another coat of wax on her.
She looks like a new MH again. We went to a large MH sales lot south of the cites to empty the blk/gray tanks this week, (5 bucks) by the time I got to the rear of the MH 3-4 guys from the shop were out there looking @ the MH and were shocked when I told them it was a 82. They were impressed by the shine on her. I asked if I could trade it even for a 40 ft DP but they declined. Bummer...
Tim
Nice job on your coach. What's all that white stuff?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you need to make sure you have a fiberglass roof. I had a 2003 Allegro Open Road that had a rubber roof.

When I have an area that is hard to clean I use Krud Kutter that I buy from Lowe's. A lot of painters use it to clean painted surfaces for repainting.

Original Krud Kutter, Stain Removal, Carpet Cleaning, Cleaning Products, Industrial Cleaning Products, Wipes, Spray, Cleaning And Pressure Washing Products, Janitorial Supplies, Carpet Stain Removal

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Nice job on your coach. What's all that white stuff?
What white stuff are you referring too?
Wheel covers?
Towels on dash

SNOW O I get it now... alittle slow on a Monday morning
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Take a peek... Wash/Wax