Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Listening to myself

In the midst of this incredibly hot summer here in the Chicago area, last night brought some nasty thunderstorms about 9:30. We lost power at 9:45. Needing to be at work at 6:30 am, I went to bed hoping that the power would come back on and went to sleep. At 11:30 I woke up very hot and thought to myself "Self, this is going to be a long night." Then self said "Hey idiot, your Fleetwood Bounder is sitting out in the driveway with a generator and air conditioning. Why don't you get up and get in there?"

After a good night's sleep I'm thankful for my self.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That is great! Lol

Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Years ago (1996) when we moved into our present home, we down sized into a place that would hold a lesser amount of clutter . The "guest" bedroom has become the TV/Cat's room and the other bedroom is our office, so we haven't done much hosting of visitors. After we got our MH, which is parked in the back yard and has shore power from my shop (50A), we realized that we now have a self contained suite for any guests (or a refuge in case of power outage, as in your case).
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That storm was north of us when i went to bed, after going out on the porch and feeling the breeze and watching the lightning. Thought about opening the house up, but it was still kinda humid and stuffy outside.

About 2 am it came through for real. I got up and watched and listened for awhile. Turned off the a/c and opened the windows. Fell asleep listening to the storm, and woke up loistening to the birds.

It was nice. We've been sealed in our coccoon in the a/c for months, i hate it.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

2nd Night here in Port Charlotte Florida without A/C ( two yr old Trane Unit ) Power surge took out the compressor. One more good reason the Tiffin Red is in the back yard plugged and A/C on.
PS: ran the generator for a total of 5 hrs last night with a filled to the brim fuel tank. Ran both A/C's, tv, micro and computer, then filled again to the brim and it took just 4 gallons. Pretty accurate when Manual said it would use 7/10s of a gallon an hr under this load with an 8000 Onan
Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
That storm was north of us when i went to bed, after going out on the porch and feeling the breeze and watching the lightning. Thought about opening the house up, but it was still kinda humid and stuffy outside.

About 2 am it came through for real. I got up and watched and listened for awhile. Turned off the a/c and opened the windows. Fell asleep listening to the storm, and woke up loistening to the birds.

It was nice. We've been sealed in our coccoon in the a/c for months, i hate it.
Ain't that the truth! Here in Florida, you can tell the tourists easily - they are the ones outside! Otherwise, once the hot HUMID weather starts (May thru November!) we live inside air conditioned houses, ride in air conditioned cars, and work and shop in air conditioned buildings - the only time we go outside is to jump in the pool!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This usually wont' work with Central air but here is what i did. (Worked great when needed, but that was furnace time)

I had a licensed electrician install an approved GENERATOR TRANSFER switch panel in my basement next to the main service enterance, He also installed an "INLET" and upgraded my mains at the same time.

I installed a 30 amp twist lock outlet in one of my cargo bays out of the weather, protected, (I also put in a pair of TT-30 pigtails but that is for other use, same cirtuit you use one or the other)

I made up an extension cord (Twist lock) long enough to go from RV to House.

And when I came home one New Year's Eve and found Frosty the air-blown inflatable snowman sleeping on the job.. Down to the basement get cable.

Plug in outlet end

Plug in plug end

Install Gen-Turi on Generator exhaust.

PUSH buttons

Back to house, Switch switches

CLick: LIght
Click: Furnace
CLick: Freezer
CLICK: Fridge
CLICK:Microwave
CLICK, CLick, CLick etc, Radios, televisions, computers and the like.

Back in business.