Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I have a real dilemma, one that is keeping me up at nights (like now).

My dad, who is now 70, is retiring this fall and plans to move somewhere warmer than Ohio. He doesn't really know where, but was planning to rent a condo or house for the winter somewhere in Georgia and see if he likes it.

Well, I mentioned that my wife and I do not us our 2002 35' gas chassis motor home from November to April, and if he took the motor home he could travel around and try a number of different areas and have more to choose from. He in turn would pick up the payments, and provide his own insurance for the duration (about 5 months).

Since this is a serious decision, I said suggested we should think about it and talk more in the future. We are camping in about 4 weeks together, and will probably talk more then.

The dilemma is: do I send my motor home off with my dad for 5 months. I have complete confidence in his ability to drive and maintain it. We had a 25' motor home when I was growing up so he knows a bit about the beasts. Also he is a very trustworthy individual, and I know he would bend over backwards to take care of the coach.

I know that the motor home will come back worse for wear. It currently has 6,800 miles on it, and has been mostly used for weekends. Two people (Dad and his fiancĂ©) living in it full time will definitely take its toll on the interior. Also I have suggested that he take it out to my sisters in Arizona for a visit. Those alone will double the mileage. But on the plus side, money is tight right now, and "leasing" it out for 5 months will really help our finances.

Do you think this is a crazy idea? Would you trust you motor home to a trusted family member for the whole winter? Is there any considerations I should take into account before I make a decision on this?

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Sleepless in Columbus Ohio,
Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I have a real dilemma, one that is keeping me up at nights (like now).

My dad, who is now 70, is retiring this fall and plans to move somewhere warmer than Ohio. He doesn't really know where, but was planning to rent a condo or house for the winter somewhere in Georgia and see if he likes it.

Well, I mentioned that my wife and I do not us our 2002 35' gas chassis motor home from November to April, and if he took the motor home he could travel around and try a number of different areas and have more to choose from. He in turn would pick up the payments, and provide his own insurance for the duration (about 5 months).

Since this is a serious decision, I said suggested we should think about it and talk more in the future. We are camping in about 4 weeks together, and will probably talk more then.

The dilemma is: do I send my motor home off with my dad for 5 months. I have complete confidence in his ability to drive and maintain it. We had a 25' motor home when I was growing up so he knows a bit about the beasts. Also he is a very trustworthy individual, and I know he would bend over backwards to take care of the coach.

I know that the motor home will come back worse for wear. It currently has 6,800 miles on it, and has been mostly used for weekends. Two people (Dad and his fiancĂ©) living in it full time will definitely take its toll on the interior. Also I have suggested that he take it out to my sisters in Arizona for a visit. Those alone will double the mileage. But on the plus side, money is tight right now, and "leasing" it out for 5 months will really help our finances.

Do you think this is a crazy idea? Would you trust you motor home to a trusted family member for the whole winter? Is there any considerations I should take into account before I make a decision on this?

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Sleepless in Columbus Ohio,
Mark

Old 06-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Mark, you should check into the fact that if the unit is not titled to your dad he may not be able to insure it in his name in some states. Other than that I think the decision to help your dad is admirable. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark,
Did your dad have any sleepless nights in Columbus 25 / 30 years ago?
Go for it, in another 25 / 30 years you may wish you had. Keep the insurance in your name, make sure he covered and let him pick up the tab.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:58 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mark,

I can only speak for me, but if my Dad wanted my truck and trailer (I don't have a motorhome)I would give it to him. It's only a thing, and can be replaced or repaired should something go wrong. Besides, it's actually easier on the machinery to be used than to sit idle all winter.

L8r,
Steve
Old 06-19-2005, 05:31 AM   #6
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I would love to be able to loan my Dad and Mom my rig at my expense, by the way for as long as they would need it, but I can't as they both passed away in 1985.

Shoe on the other foot - if either of my 2 sons ever needed to use my rig for any reason, they would be welcome to it, no questions asked.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You indicated you have a real dilemma.

If I understand your post correctly, you're worried about making a choice between preserving a motor home or letting your dad (seemingly loved and trusted by you) take advantage of something you offered.

Please - tell me again what your dilemma is?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:44 AM   #8

I know I'm new here but still a piece of advice. Loan Dad what ever he needs and if you can afford to, pay for it for him. Chances to share our Love as well as the Blessings we have been given with our parents end way before you know it.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #9

Ditto ALL the above ...do it without hesitation! You will sleep well.

Rich

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #10

I don't understand your "dilemma" either. Obviously you have already decided or you wouldn't have offered in the first place. Unless you offered influenced by emotions, and now are considering the practicalities of the offer. Which by the way should be throughly weighed also. A catastrophic crash involving your RV while in the possession of(or driven by) someone else can expose your immediate family to financial ruin for many years, if your insurance cap is exceeded by the financial obligations of the crash. That is the other side of the coin. Best wishes to you, and a safe journey to your Dad.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I don't understand your "dilemma"... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few responders have stated this.
But I think that Mark has done an interesting thing here. He has perhaps shown his love and respect for Marie, his wife, by showing concern about loaning out THEIR trailer and asked if he could talk more about it with her. If i interpreted his feeling correctly, their marriage is probably on very strong grounds. Good for Mark. The trailer belongs to THAT immediate family and one of them shows tremendous respect to the other by 'running the idea up the flagpole', of course I'm sure we all hope our spouse would insist upon helping 'Dad' out.
But I also think that everyone else here wonderfully stated their feelings as well - all of our Good Ol' Dads deserve nothing but our love and anything we can do for him. My Pa would have the trailer.
(Check up on that insurance question.)
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:53 PM   #12

......I'd give anything to have my dad/mom back......anything! Instantly!.....geofkaye
Old 06-23-2005, 04:24 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have to say that I agree with the majority of the posters...Wish him well on his journey.
A good point WAS made about your 'running it up the flagpole' with your wife. Trust and communication between spouses is a very important quality to a relationship and an agreement is needed in this matter.
As to the liability and insurance, I am not currently up to date on all the specifics, but it may be entirely possible to make sure your dad is listed as an operator on your policy...would make no difference who paid the premium...and then he might be able to purchase an umbrella policy with a high cap and deductible for a very reasonable rate. Just need to check with your agent to see what is available in Ohio. Be VERY honest with your agent and they should make every effort to make sure you are covered.
Good Luck....You know what your dad would do if the situation were reversed.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:33 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My insurance covers the MH, me as a driver as well as anyone that drives my MH. Just the way it is set up. I have no dad to loan to but I would if he was here, but I got three kids that would love to use it. I think they are afraid to ask, but I would. I have no doubt if one did use it they would understand and accept the responsibilities of using it.

YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote