Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Local transportation options.

We're newbies trying to decide on the best choice for taking extra transportation with us. I love to hear some opinions and experience on the advantages and shortcomings of the various options, such as local car rental, 4 wheel car trailer, 2 wheel dolly, mopeds, bicycles, etc.
We are both about 60, so I'm pretty sure that bicycles aren't useful for more than pleasure riding.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on what vehicle you are talking about towing with you.
Bicycle's can be hung off the back on the ladder or if they fold up you can store them underneath in a bay.
If it is a vehicle that you can tow 4 down on the ground then no need for a dolly or trailer but you would require some modifications to the vehicle like a tow bar and/or a Remco pump.
If it is a motorcycle then you have several options and that would either a trailer or a lift of some sort to hook on the back of the RV. And depending on the weight of the bike it depends on if you could do that. Some RV's don't have the ability to take that much weight without some welding done to the RV.
Now you could get a Tandem Tow Dolly (about $6k and up) and then you could take both a bike/golf cart and car.
You could get a large trailer and take both a motorcycle and car like we do, ours is 20ft long. But then you would need to know how much weight you can tow to see if that is feasible.
Then there is the covered trailer option .....
As for renting that depends on how often you were gonna rent as to how expensive that ends up being.

As you can see there are lots to decide.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
It would certainly depend on how far you want to travel from your coach. If you are going to stay in the park then a bike or moped (if permitted) would be fine. However, if you want to venture out and about you will need a car. Before we started towing, early in our RV life, we would arrange to rent a car for our travels. That can become difficult if you go somewhere that rentals are not available and it can be expensive. I would suggest, it you have a car than can be towed to have it outfitted to do so. All cars cannot be towed 4 down and you might need to use a dolly....we never have. Once we began towing, we always bought our car with the option of towing 4 down. It can be expensive getting everything outfitted in the car (base plate install), but it is worth it in the long run. You will always have a car to get you from here to there and if you would need to make an "emergency" run anywhere your keys are in your pocket.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Raining Star,
Welcome to iRV2. When touring, we tow a GMC ENVOY XUV. In the back of the ENVOY is the wife's scooter. When we go to the Tampa RV Super Show (January of each year) the ENVOY is towed and a 1/2 size golf car goes in the back of the ENVOY. When parked at the resort where we own a lot (months at a time) The ENVOY is with us and a full size golf car for use in the resort. In all cases, the ENVOY is by our side. The secondary mode of transport depends on the type of trip.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
So what's a good source for finding out what cars can be towed four wheels on the road and what can't?
I assume my 06 Hyundai Tiburon can not. Don't know about the 02 Toyota Tacoma pickup. It's about to time replace the pickup so selecting a light truck that is a good towed vehicle.
My RV is a 36' Winnebago Chieftain with the Ford V10 engine. I assume it can handle the load.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's one source: http://towingworld.com/resources/201...ing_guide1.pdf

For what your RV can handle, check this information out and calculate. The rating of the hitch is NOT the capacity of what you can tow.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Motorhome Magazine MotorHome Magazine -- Motorhome Reviews - RV Camping puts out a dinghy towing guide every year. The one for 2013 just came out a few days ago. The current year's version is free but if you want the prior years then they cost $1.99. They used to not charge for you to download any year but 2 years ago that changed.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

If your mh is a gasser, chances are you cant tow more than 5000 lbs. Check your owners manual. This might limit what toad you can pull to a smaller car or suv.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can also go here to look up specific vehicles;
http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
My brother and I caravan in our own rigs. He has a scooter which he puts on a platform on the back of his rig. I tow a Honda FIT. I had to go a short time without a tow vehicle and will not be without one again. I rented a car a couple of times, but it's so much easier to just jump in the car to go to the grocery store or sightseeing. My brother uses his scooter in the RV parks and to go to the store if it is not far away.
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When I had my class A, I used a car hauler trailer, used axle straps and tie downs on all 4 corners. I could load and tie the car down in less time than it takes to install the brake buddy and tow bar. Another advantage is you can back up without unhooking, and also you can see the trailer in the mirrors. IMHO this is the only way to go, car hauling trailers can be had for $2000 or less, towed over 20,000 miles this way without a problem, old P30 gasser chassis.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #12

Trailers and dollies become additional maintenance items plus license plates plus, plus, plus.. Scooters are ok until it rains. You can pick up an inexpensive saturn or like vehicle to tow 4 wheels down.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #13

Check with the dealer of the brand vehicle that you wish to tow, they would be the ones I would trust to give me the correct answer. I happen to have a 1990
Isuzu Amigo and it can not be towed, must be trailered.

My motorhome is small enough to be easily driven and parked plus I only go for a few days at a time so I make sure I have what I need before I get to the campground. If I take the trailer then I have the truck to use.

This works for me but may not work for you.
msbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #14

Extended hitch holding a Vespa scooter, towing a Nissan Frontier 5 speed w/extra tall topper, holding a Segway & two bicycles. All bases covered.