Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
Question Lock on the screen door HELP

I need to install a decent lock on my screen door. I have cats that have figured out how to open it and that isn't safe. But I need something sturdy. Has anyone installed any locks on the screen door? Thank you for any help!

*Diesel Girl*
*Yellow Lab -Ace *Two crazy cats- Kamie and Midnight*
*2004 Fleetwood Prowler*
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Many options like a sliding bolt for a couple bucks.

It all depends on if both sides need to control it.

Suggest visiting a couple well stocked hardware stores with one or more an ace or other possible mom and pop type place where the folks have some smarts.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Good idea. Just wanted to make it safer for all of us!
*Diesel Girl*
*2004 Fleetwood Prowler*
Old 01-06-2015, 05:04 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 2 one low one high and they are the type with a eyelet screwed into one or the other (Door,Frame),the other piece looks like a L and latches into the eyelet.I will try and find a picture.
They were used years ago. I have something like the top one. they are not real balky and stay out of the way. Has worked for us and the girls.

1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #5

Here's what I did to keep my Boxer from opening the screen door. Went to Ace Hardware and got fasteners that are used to secure old time screens in frames. Simple things really. Drilled thru screen door frame and secured fastener with small bolt and nut, added super glue to nut once I determined tightness, also added a few washers to bolt inside of door to bring out the fastener to correct width to allow fastener to be swung over door frame. Trial and error to get tightness right. I also put fastener midway on door to allow me to access it from outside of door so I could keep dog in the MH when I went outside. My door frame didn't allow for the simple bolt type of lock that I first thought of using.

Here is fastener in the closed position:

Here is what it looks like open, it stores well and does not get in the way of normal operation:

So far the dog has not been able to open door, but I'm waiting. LOL
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
I use one of these cam-type locks, just the cam of course http://www.amazon.com/Ives-Schlage-0...s=window+latch

It's pop-riveted to the inside of the screen door and when closed it bears against the door frame; I get to it by reaching through the slide cover.
CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wish I could post a photo here

What I did, the slider that covers the handle for the outer door.. i addd a wood block so if slider is closed it inhibits the outer door from latching

Then I added a dowel rod, and drilled a hole so the dowel, when the slider is fully closed, engages the frame,, Cats have not figured that out yet.

option 2 is easier.

Hook and eye type latch, put it inside (Or outside) where the slider is so you can slide the slider and access it from either side

A small block of wood (1x2 say 3 inches long) on the outside makes it easier to slide from that side.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
All of these ideas and photos are great! I really appreciate all your help!

*Diesel Girl*
*2004 Fleetwood Prowler*

door, scr