Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Locked Compartment

We have an outside compartment that is locked and will not unlock. Yes, we are using the correct key! We've locked this compartment in the past, the same key will lock and unlock the other compartments. Any ideas besides drilling out the lock????

calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #2

take a screw driver or knife blade slide the little cover over if it has one spray wd-40 or something similar in lock work key back and forth try this several times may loosen up tumblers letting lock work.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #3

I have one that tends to be a pain sometimes also. My solution is to use my knee to put a little pressure against it while turning the key. This and the suggestion to lube it should do the trick.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is a product called Lock Ease that we used to use on our trucks prior to winter setting in. The door locks always turned easily and never siezed up due to the elements. It should be available at your local hardware or automotive store.

Amazon.com: Graphited Fluid Lock Ease, 3.4 oz: Automotive
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

I'd suggest spraying a WD-40 or Lock ease or a similar lubricant into the key hole and on the key itself and insert the key and wiggle it back and forth and in & out. Do this several times. If the tumblers are a little corroded and sticking this may break them lose. This has worked for me in the past with a stubborn lock.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Graphite in powder form can be obtained at most auto stores. Be careful as when you squirt it into the lock it will go "everywhere" if you do not do it gently. Just a puff will lubricate your lock. All of the liquids mentioned will most likely lubricate, but they have a tendency to gum up after a period of time.

Next step is a locksmith.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF the lock will not turn WD-40 or Cyclo Break-away or PB-Blaster may be the best choice

Soot it in (you can pull the sprayer off many cans and press the stem up against the lock and spray directly into it, or use a can with a "Wand"

Wait a few mintues and then work the key in and out several time, Repete may take a few tries.

Once it is working lubricate with a proper lock lube (Graphite is good (Lock Ease), or Dri Slide)

If the lock turns but it just won't open .. Take a pic of the lock and I may be able to adivse further.. Tri-Mark locks often do this (Lock works, handle pulls out but striker bolt does not retract so door does not open) that has a different fix.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If the lock turns but it just won't open .. Take a pic of the lock and I may be able to adivse further.. Tri-Mark locks often do this (Lock works, handle pulls out but striker bolt does not retract so door does not open) that has a different fix.
This is the problem I am having. I also have one that does not lock when the key is turned. Any help would be appreciated on this issues also.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, so we know the lock part works.. Now I need to see the thing to tell more.

I'm good with Tri-Mark locks. That's what I cuss out from time to time on my coach.

Others can cover the other makes.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

I was lucky, that the basement compartment that would not unlock after several lube attemps as described above, happened to be a pass thtough. The 13 year old grandson and I unloaded it from the other side and he climbed through with my screw gun and took the entire paddle lock assembly out. I lifted the door , out he popped, we took the lock all apart, lubed it, and it worked fine when we reassembled it into the door. Then with his help we removed all of the other locks and did a little PM work, good luck, Ken......
Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
! have had problems with things shiftinng inside the comperments and wedging the lock. Sometimes if you "rap" soundly right at the lock thsy will shift enough to release the lock, other times I need to move the trailer to raise the side the jammed compartment is on the high side then try to shift whatever is jamming the lock. Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are these Tri-Mark locks? I know I keep asking but you have yet to answer.

Tri-mark the striker bolt is low quality metal, they tend to break, I've figured out how t fix 'em.

Also the rocker thing (The proper name is a walking beam) inside the lock the screw gets a bit loose and the beam no longer engages the striker bolt, this was likely your problem. Regular tightening or a drop of locktie (I think Green is best here though I use blue) may help.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Thumbs up Locked Compartment

Thanks for all the suggestions. We got the compartment opened by giving it a shot of Tri-Flow (from Ace Hardware) and pushing on the door while turning the key. Took a couple tries, but it finally released the lock!

calico is offline   Reply With Quote