Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

Logistics of buying from an out-of-state private party?

I've tried to research this and ended up bewildered. The coach that I am looking at is in Missouri. I am a Michigan resident. I've never purchased a vehicle from a private party before, much less from another state. How does one go about it? After inspection, when price is agreed on, how does it go from there?

I have approved financing through USAA. The title is supposedly clear, although I haven't run a title check yet. My biggest concerns are title transfer, licensing, and possible sales tax. How does that work? How do I legally get the MH and title from MO to MI to register and license it? How do I insure a vehicle that I don't yet own, so that I can drive it home? I've heard that there is no sales tax on private party sales, is this true?

I appreciate any info. Thank you!
Circejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tax will be based on and levied where you register the coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It is not hard(Seemed like it was going to be)......, when we bought ours, it was 925 miles from home. The owner sent me a ton of photos, top to bottom , and pictures of all/any defects, then his bottom line price, over the phone. I took a "Corporate Check" from my financial institution, less 5k(in cash) for price wiggle room. When the deal was done after inspection by me, we were off to the Michigan DMV/notary office, Done the paper work, title transfer, and I received a 30 day temporary tag along with a sales receipt. He then took me to a u-haul rental dealer and towed a dolly back to his house so I could load my car on it so I could tow it home. After back home, up to the local notary office, paid sales tax on the purchase price, given a license plate.......done. Hope this helps you out and settles your nerves..........
Old 03-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

So the seller had to meet you in MI to transfer the title?
Circejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circejane View Post
So the seller had to meet you in MI to transfer the title?
I arrived at the sellers house where the Coach was stored in a garage........and went from there......
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Normally you will transfer the title at the DMV in the state where the vehicle is currently titled. They will provide you with a temporary tag for a nominal fee, usually good for 30 days. That gets you home legally. Your insurance will start the moment you pass the papers, and should be prearranged by you beforehand. Then you drive home and take the sales invoice to your Michigan DMV, who will collect license fees and sales tax and issue a permanent registation.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
You are going to get lots of different answers here. I recommend you talk with your state's DMV and see what they say.

Mine was a private party purchase in another state. What I experienced may or may not be applicable to you.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
You are going to get lots of different answers here. I recommend you talk with your state's DMV and see what they say.
..X2..
Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #9

MRUSA14, gave you an accurate answer. Take all paperwork into Michigan DMV and they will do the rest. Collect all tax due, register the RV, issue a title and a plate. Very simple.
You need Bill of sale, proof of insurance, drivers license, and your check book. No inspection required in Michigan or special license to operate.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circejane View Post
I've tried to research this and ended up bewildered. The coach that I am looking at is in Missouri. I am a Michigan resident. I've never purchased a vehicle from a private party before, much less from another state. How does one go about it? After inspection, when price is agreed on, how does it go from there?

I have approved financing through USAA. The title is supposedly clear, although I haven't run a title check yet. My biggest concerns are title transfer, licensing, and possible sales tax. How does that work? How do I legally get the MH and title from MO to MI to register and license it? How do I insure a vehicle that I don't yet own, so that I can drive it home? I've heard that there is no sales tax on private party sales, is this true?

I appreciate any info. Thank you!
Just a heads up CirceJane

As both a USAA bank customer and insurer be advised USAA does not insure RVs anymore. I had my former Monaco insured with them (10 years, no claims) but when I traded up into my Entegra they said they no longer insure RVs, at least MHs, because they consider them "too much risk". They will ship you over to their satellite company Progressive. I obtained insurance thru Safeco at a reasonable rate but recently got a quote from Progressive. Flo was about 3 times as much. My only insurance claim on any of my vehicles has been a windshield chip repair on the RV 2 years ago. Research your insurance before you buy! Most insurance companies can quote you with just a VIN number of your new RV.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #11

In my experience-

You can insure it ahead of time with the coach's make model and serial number.

When you're a Mi. resident, and you're buying a coach out of state, you can't take the paperwork to the Mi DMV until you get home...

I would bring the coach home without a plate. If stopped, a bill of sale dated VERY recently, along with a heads up regarding what you are doing, is generally acceptable by anyone asking while on your way home.

The concern here is over title work. That's where you really need to be concerned IMHO. If the name(s) on the title is not the same as the verified names of those you are handing your check/money to, I wouldn't be handing over that money. Liens, DBA/company names, executor's, or any owner representatives can all spell trouble...... no matter what they are telling you. If there are 2 names on that title, you need 2 signatures! If you can't get the Mi. DMV to believe that the person signing off on the title, that the person you are handing your check/money to is not the rightful owner, you can be in for months of paperwork, or possible lawsuits. Short version, you want to make sure the title is in the name of the person selling you the coach. I think it might be fair to have a copy of the title emailed/faxed to you so you can verify prior to launching on your road trip.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #12

We bought our new to us coach from an individual 2 states away. We had lots of pics and many many emails, then made a trip to look at it (about 500 miles one way) & left a deposit. The financial part was handled between our CU and hers and there were lots of faxed and scanned paperwork flying between all of us.

We drove out in our toad with a substantial cash down payment to make up for the loan amount (probably the most stressful part). We left with the title & bill of sale and the Jeep tagging along behind us. We had to have it inspected before being able to hand over another big check for taxes and licensing.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I had a relative without a plate on his way 5 mi home stopped by a Barney Fife type cop trying to make a point. When writing the ticket I asked how does one move a vehicle after purchase. We were on our way to the DMV with receipt in hand. He said we should've borrowed the old owners plate, to which I said was illegal. He insisted on jacking us up. Turns out you can buy a temporary plate from you DMV for this purpose.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #14

Not sure you can get a temp plate for something that's not already in your name. Good idea though. Might be worth checking into further.