Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Long Trip Toll Road Question

I am leaving from Colorado in September to go to Cape Cod by way of OHIO.
Should I buy toll passes ahead of time for the Eastern states or just pay as I go?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Having a toll transponder will speed your passage through toll barriers and in many cases give you discounts on the tolls. In my mind it is a no-brainer. It saves money and adds convenience. You can buy one EZ-Pass that will work in all the states on your route. The cost varies depending on what state you buy it in but In most cases it is zero if you choose automatic credit card billing. I have mine from Mass. but if I were doing it again I might go New York because theirs gives special motorhome discounts on the NY Thruway. Check out E-ZPass: Discount Plans - New York State Thruway. NY does have a $1 per month administrative fee that Mass does not charge.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Having a toll transponder will speed your passage through toll barriers and in many cases give you discounts on the tolls. In my mind it is a no-brainer. It saves money and adds convenience. You can buy one EZ-Pass that will work in all the states on your route. The cost varies depending on what state you buy it in but I think it is close to zero. I have mine from Mass. but if I were doing it again I would probably go New York because theirs gives special motorhome discounts on the NY Thruway. Check out E-ZPass: Discount Plans - New York State Thruway.
Marc hit the nail on the head. The NY EZPass is free and it will save you money on the NY Thruway by only charging you auto rates. It will work on all the toll roads that you will be traveling from Ohio through NY and into Mass. If you decide to go back a different way it will also work through Indiana and Illinois. The time savings by having the EZPass will make your trip more enjoyable.

As a side note, watch the toll booths in Ohio. They tend to be pretty narrow!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion65 View Post
I am leaving from Colorado in September to go to Cape Cod by way of OHIO.
Should I buy toll passes ahead of time for the Eastern states or just pay as I go?
Illinois used to be the cheapest transponder to maintain. The tolls are cheaper with the transponder.

X2 on the narrow turnpike lanes. I used the far right lane when ever possible and still hit the mirrors going through (More than once). Sometimes there are pass through lanes on the left.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

Yup, got my EZ-Pass a few years ago from NH and I have been very happy with the savings and convenience.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
What are you driving? OH computes tolls based on drive axle height. a tall fiver will pay the same rate as an 18 wheeler.. GULP....
Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
ut if I were doing it again I might go New York because theirs gives special motorhome discounts on the NY Thruway. Check out E-ZPass: Discount Plans - New York State Thruway. NY does have a $1 per month administrative fee that Mass does not charge.
I got the NY EZ-Pass to get the motorhome discount, but have found out that there are two different "authorities" that issue a NY EZ-Pass. One charges a $1 monthly fee, and the other doesn't. I didn't know there were two different ones and inadvertently signed up for the one that does have the fee, without realizing it.

So bleh on the NY EZ-Pass. Since I'll go many months without using it, I'll stick with a state that has just one EZ-Pass and no monthly administrative fee. I don't mind a deposit--I can get that back.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I got the NY EZ-Pass to get the motorhome discount, but have found out that there are two different "authorities" that issue a NY EZ-Pass. One charges a $1 monthly fee, and the other doesn't. I didn't know there were two different ones and inadvertently signed up for the one that does have the fee, without realizing it.

So bleh on the NY EZ-Pass. Since I'll go many months without using it, I'll stick with a state that has just one EZ-Pass and no monthly administrative fee. I don't mind a deposit--I can get that back.
Illinois iPass works in EZ-Pass states and I believe you just have to maintain a minimum balance. Tolls through Illinois are double without iPass.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...on/about-ipass
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 AM   #9

We did that trip from California in June. Did not buy a pass, just hit the toll booths on the way. Read the warnings, originally planned our route to go 500 miles longer but ignore the toll roads. Once we were running behind, found out (by looking online) the tolls for our 36' MH were much lower than I thought. Changed our route to include the OH turnpike because of that.

We had no problems using cash, no problems using any toll booth at any spot. I was tense and nervous on the way east. On the way home, no sweat.

While going westbound through New York, watched several high-end super-expensive racing boats on wide trailers going through the tolls. Man, they looked tight to the edges! I'm sure the boat itself cost more than my motorhome. But if they didn't worry about the width, than neither should I.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #10

we've been 75,000 + miles over 3 years including all the states, NYC, NJ, etc and have never had any need to 'purchase' any type of pass or transponder - why would we?

I've seen few toll roads that you couldnt' pay cash or with a credit card. Any that are only 'toll by plate' now will send you a bill, but only if you are from a neighboring state that they have an agreement with - I've never yet received one.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all US states, including Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote