Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Looking at 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

I am considering a 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37S with a Ford V10. It has been garaged its entire life with less than 6k miles on it. It has been exercised regularly and is in near show room condition. What should I be looking for that could be caused from sitting so much. I have already decided if I go for it I will have to buy tires immediately. Batteries are new. What else should I be aware of?

Thank you

Brutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking at 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Depends where it's been stored. Rubber rot on all kinds of seals is a big issue of things that have been sitting for years. That includes engine, transmission, water and sewer system, weatherstripping, etc.

So is the wire insulation possibly being dry and cracked, causing nearly untraceable electrical shorts. Anything in the vehicle that is suppose to move or flex and hasn't for years may very well just crack instead when moved.

I'd take it to a Ford truck dealership for a full check out, and then to a RV Tech for a check of all those systems before buying.

Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Completely flush the brake system by adding all new brake fluid.

Originally Posted by Brutas View Post
..... I have already decided if I go for it I will have to buy tires immediately. Batteries are new. What else should I be aware of?

Thank you
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Depends where it's been stored. Rubber rot on all kinds of seals is a big issue of things that have been sitting for years. That includes engine, transmission, water and sewer system, weatherstripping, etc.
X2 on bad seals - rubber that has not been splashed with lubricating fluids as intended can just disintegrate once you start using them.

What was the excercising ritual and schedule?
Worst thing you can do with any vehicle, Coaches in particular, is let them sit. Manufacturers recommend exercising all the engines and components on a coach at least one a month for the life of the coach. That means take it out for a drive once a month and run the generator and other systems when weather permits.

Definitely set aside a budget for mechanical repairs, if its a good deal on the coach it's still worth it to have to deal with small repairs here and there.

I would add that you should flush and change all fluids - only 6k miles in almost 2 decades, petroleum products break down just like most everything else.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G -> 06 Rubicon LJ
Mechanical and Electrical Engineer
Team 065 and 0232 "De Opresso Liber"
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maintenance items - your approaching what I would call "Mid Life" maintenance items (mileage), and also "end of life" (age) on some items:

• Serpentine belt - replace (inspect accessory's and pulleys when the belt is off)
  • Consider water pump replacement.
  • Brake hoses, brake pads? replace flush and re-bleed brakes.
  • front end - grease and inspect
  • front wheel bearings - repack - inspect king pins.
  • Inspect U joints, grease if they have fittings
  • Verify /replace fluid level in rear differential
  • Transmission - Flush, change filter if it has one.
  • fuel and air filters - replace
  • Oil change - install Fumoto valve if you plan on changing your own oil
  • Spark plugs - if they have never been changed, leave them along. If not sure, or have been changed - change them again - This is the important part - replace with OEM plugs only and verify the plugs are torqued to 160 inch - pounds
  • Tires - Check manufacture date for 6-8 years old - consider replacing
  • Perform CHF, inspect suspension links and torsion rod bushing inserts.
If all this stuff looks good, you should now be ready for another 70k miles of trouble free driving.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
All great suggestions given to you. I bought a 98 Pace Arrow on a 97 Ford chassis with right at 25,000 miles on it three years ago. Tires were my first priority as they were the original tires. Since I put new tires on it I had a front end alignment as well but with the few miles on the MH you are looking at I'd skip it. I then replaced all the v-belts and radiator hoses since they too were original. While having this done I had the radiator flushed and the coolant replaced which I would definitely recommend. How is the generator, if you have one, doubt if it has been exercised very much - probably need to take a good look at its operation. Three months after I had purchased my MH both rear jacks started leaking, so I had to remove them and have them re-sealed. A month later both hydraulic hoses started leaking; the hoses were in very bad condition so they had to be replaced. Good luck with your decisions.
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. The coach has been stored indoors and exercised on a monthly basis. I am quite certain of this as I know the current owner. The tires were definitely on my radar screen. My thought was to replace them immediately if I purchase it. Sounds like anything with seals or rubber of some kind could be a potential problem. Still haven't made up my mind yet. Thanks to all

Brutas is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, fleetwood, pace arrow