Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #15

Tell them yes they can use it. Just have to have a cash deposit of the value of the TT plus contents and truck up front.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #16

You have a real challenge on your hands there, jsdigger. But stick to your guns. I don't think you have to explain your answer, either, even though you have. You may want to go camping with them, but I'm not so sure they will be guests you really want to have.

No way I would consider loaning someone my TV and TT. Without checking into it, I have this feeling that there may be insurance coverage issues. And if something does happen, God forbid, who covers deductibles?? As for them sleeping in the trailer and pushing you outside, that's another big nope. You've already made a very generous offer, and most likely would be providing food at the very least. Good luck!

Roger

Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Heck no! Our family always wants to "camp" with us. The problem is they look at us as the fall back rain shelter. So it rains and oh boy! You're MH is suddenly full of people oh and since it's raining....can't we just crash here? Oh sure. But OP I'm with you. Stand your ground. People have no idea all the tiny little things that go into ownership. Oh and you loan it out and they return... "this thingy broke off" or "We couldn't get the thingy to move so we pushed and this grinding sound..."
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
It sounds to me like she knows exactly what she is doing and is one of those people that likes to torture you and watch you squirm. I used to be married to one of those. We have a small house in NC that the "kids" wanted to use when we weren't there. (not so interested in visiting when we were there...) I told my 2nd wife to just say "we love that house and would never consider treating it like a rental." At least they got the picture.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #19

I would just add that it would be ideal if this is sister to sister/brother not in-law to sister etc......
Sometimes when we in-laws get involved other in-laws end up not liking us when we've really done nothing wrong. Hope this makes sense.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Write up a 20 page contract, including fine print, say your insurance requires it, along with a deposit of the cost of the unit.
Then go and have fun!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #21

The DW feels the same way i do but she wants try i t and see how it goes, i told her i have a bad feeling about camping with them and i can see the sil causing problems(i say this from past experiences with the sil). DW and i both agree that they are not gonna sleep in the trailer no matter how hard she try's to guilt us, so i might look into camping where there are cabins or rooms that they can stay in. i guess if it goes bad enough and i have to be the bad guy than they will never asked about the trailer again.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #22

Family and Friends.. are 2 thing you never lend/rent/let use...

unless you are willing to loose everything and them....
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unfortunately you are between a rock and a hard place.

If she thinks she can ask to use it, she surely won't understand why you are saying "no"..

She will be mad, but you can live wiith it.

Maybe emphasize how many things that can happen, and that you dont want to strsin the "wonderful" relationship that you now have

Dan
Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdigger View Post
The DW feels the same way i do but she wants try i t and see how it goes, i told her i have a bad feeling about camping with them and i can see the sil causing problems(i say this from past experiences with the sil). DW and i both agree that they are not gonna sleep in the trailer no matter how hard she try's to guilt us, so i might look into camping where there are cabins or rooms that they can stay in. i guess if it goes bad enough and i have to be the bad guy than they will never asked about the trailer again.

You are awfully accommodating to this person. Even after previous bad experiences. I would not change any plan. But I would tell her to rent one if she wants one so bad.

I would not even think twice about hurting her feelings as she obviously has no concern for your feelings.

Tell her heck no and that no matter how many times she asks, the answer is still and always will be NO.

Man up!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdigger View Post
This is the second time my sister-in-law has asked or more so assumed they could borrow our travel travel when they are in town to take camping which would include the truck as well,last time i explained that since they have never used a travel trailer before and how much the trailer/truck costs that my wife and i are not comfortable letting them use it, she didn't take us seriously and was a little offended by our answer. this time they want to go camping with us next month but she was shocked when we said we don't have room for 3 more people in the trailer and that they can use our tent and blow mattresses,her response "can we sleep in the trailer and you guys sleep in the tent", i said hell no and that we got the trailer so we don't have to sleep in tents anymore. The DW and i want to go camping with them but not sure what else i can say to get through to them,normally i would say NO!!!!! and that's that but i'm trying to be a nice guy about this.I know this has been discussed on here before and i just curious how others on here have handled this type of situation
Politely give her a hug and in her year say, Absolutely not! Sharing time is not a happy time. Don't understand why you would want to go camping with them with their attitude anyway.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #26

Many folks assume when they visit some place the "host" has certian responsibilities and that is fine.

Like taking out to dinner or a tour of the area and so on.

Often loaning a car for transportation is just fine.

But loaning a trailer and tv to a non - experienced person is same as loaning car to non - licensed driver.

First simply state insurance strictly forbids it so no.

If they come back with their insurance covers whatever they drive then counter that it only covers reasonable similar vehicles so their Toyota coverage not adequate for your vehicle as it is dependent on you to insure reasonable care to have competent drivers had a yada.

I would plan on either not camping during their stay as "camping" is your personal escape from everyone and time to enjoy "family" time and having to put up with someone who is too good to sleep in the tent (does not really understand camping) would be too much stress and distraction for anyone to enjoy.

Suggest a tour of the area by car or hand them a map and plan on good eats...

Just do NOT go camping while they visit.

You could flip a couple breakers and be "passed that the thing is broken " and be tinkering to fix it the whole time...exit with tools and escape to trailer to "work on it"...;-)
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
What part of "NO" do they not understand?
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post

You could flip a couple breakers and be "passed that the thing is broken " and be tinkering to fix it the whole time...exit with tools and escape to trailer to "work on it"...;-)
Now THAT is a wonderful idea... especially the second part!

blang is offline   Reply With Quote