Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #29
As my mom said "life is so much more peaceful now that my sister refuses to talk to me anymore." Or my favorite quote "Christmas is the time of year that reminds us why we avoid our relatives the rest of the year."

Never give reasons why you're saying no, as that makes it seem like it's open to debate. They're not young children that you're attempting to teach a life lesson.

My response to repeated inquires is generally "What part of NO don't you understand?"

cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #30
Take them with you once and announce that the a/c, the frig and the toilet/shower are broken. Find a good mosquito ridden cg with no pool and wait til it's really hot and muggy. You'll suffer too but they will not ask again. (Just kidding of course)
Hope you get it resolved.

2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #31
I could always piss the sil off well in advance and then we would not have to worry camping with them,trust me I've thought about but I keep hearing my inner voice saying "a happy wife is a happy life!!!" Trust me I've learned not to be so rude and abrupt when it comes to things like this,it just makes things harder if ya know what I mean. we have camped many times with my side of the family and had fun,(I would let my brother take the trailer anytime if he asked)I've also told others NO you can't use our trailer and they understood why, it's always one bad apple in the bunch that tries to mess things up
jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #32
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First of this week, the minister of music at my church (we are good friends) texted me and asked if he borrow my 5th wheel for an extra bedroom for the weekend. He said that both sets of their parents decided to come for a surprise visit and they don't have room at their house. I texted him back and told him that we had traded up for a Motorhome and that we are using it this weekend...going to out of town graduation ceremonies. But that since the house was open, that they were welcome to stay here. Guess what...I haven't heard anything back from him. He would have to know that I wasn't trying to blow him off since I offered the house instead. I went by his house earlier and saw another friend's TT parked by his house. I get the fact that it's nice to have everybody at the same location but a 'no reply' kinda bums me out.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
W22 Workhorse, 8.1L, Allison Tranny
Misn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #33
I would just say, and have said, I'm sorry but I make it a practice not to loan my rig out. And I will never plan to sleep in a tent again.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #34
Fleetwood Owners Club
I do not have any relatives including my kids that I would let use my MH. In fact I wouldn't let most of them even the door.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #35
I just thought of another great answer. "Sure, if I can borrow all of your credit cards and your checkbook for a weekend."
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #36
Originally Posted by jsdigger View Post
This is the second time my sister-in-law has asked or more so assumed they could borrow our travel travel when they are in town to take camping which would include the truck as well,last time i explained that since they have never used a travel trailer before and how much the trailer/truck costs that my wife and i are not comfortable letting them use it, she didn't take us seriously and was a little offended by our answer. this time they want to go camping with us next month but she was shocked when we said we don't have room for 3 more people in the trailer and that they can use our tent and blow mattresses,her response "can we sleep in the trailer and you guys sleep in the tent", i said hell no and that we got the trailer so we don't have to sleep in tents anymore. The DW and i want to go camping with them but not sure what else i can say to get through to them,normally i would say NO!!!!! and that's that but i'm trying to be a nice guy about this.I know this has been discussed on here before and i just curious how others on here have handled this type of situation
Your sister in law sounds like the kind of person that has the natural ability to piss people off with out even trying. She is inconsiderate and self centered and I personally would not even want to go camping with them even if they had their own rig. Especially since you have already addressed this situation at least once before. You have no reason to be a nice guy to her at this point because she is not worth it.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #37
Do you have room to put the blow up mattress in the floor or you could move over or take her camper shopping.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #38
I think this is funny.... I am a teacher and when you tell a kid NO! It' sometimes ends up in a long drawn out reason why.... because kids of today don't think anyone should tell them NO. How dare you???? Entitlement generation??? I think you clearly stated NO and you don't have to give a reason, anymore then I need to give a reason. A simple I am not comfortable lending something I've worked really hard for should suffice. GOOD LUCK.
Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #39

Looking for a polite way to say NO

Get a quote for a rental of an equal setup of TT and truck, with the same terms, conditions, insurance, penalties, etc. That's the price!
If they say yes, tell them they will need to pay for the setup of your LLC.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #40
Go to a campground that also has cabins.
Bobcat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #41
I can't get past the fact that she actually asked YOU to sleep in a tent and let HER sleep in the camper. She's one nervy, self-centered woman.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
I can't get past the fact that she actually asked YOU to sleep in a tent and let HER sleep in the camper. She's one nervy, self-centered woman.
No kidding! That takes some gall.....

2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx T28RKX
USMC/USNR Seabee (SCW/FMF) Retired
VFW Life Member
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote