Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone brought up not lending their rv to their children. This I don't understand. My children are always more than welcome to borrow anything I have. I've raised them right and they know how to treat another's property and that it should be handled with greater care than one of their own possessions. Besides, my children are more important than any possession.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #58

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This works for me.
Sure you can borrow lt.
But you realize I am also lending you my insurance. And this will only happen when you produce insurance in your name for replacement costs.
I also require a damage deposite. 30 percent of replacement cost.
On its safe return i will have the unit professionly cleaned and will deduct a small fee for ongoing maintence and wear and tear. When i determine all is well i will return your damage deposit.
Now when would you like to borrow it?

I only had to do this once. My new to me brother in law borrowed my boat lost the key, tried to wire it up and burnt a relay and some wire.
After a lot of years it is known in our family that i will help do anything for them.
But nobody asks to borrow!
A word on insurance our Insurance will cover other drivers on our coach.
However when lending we assume all risks! That is why I dont lend.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #59

Our insurance would require a special addition to cover other people using it (motorhome), which is something that we didn't add because of the cost.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
She really asked you to sleep in the tent?
yes she really did ask that,after i told her NO! and that we bought the trailer so we wouldn't have to sleep in tents anymore,her response "i'm just joking" but we both could tell by her tone that she was not joking kinda like we were the bad guys for saying no(we looked at each other with the "is she serious" look in our eyes). we have told her several times that are insurance does not cover anyone else and the cost of the TV/TT.as far as the sister in laws(DW's sister)husband goes he is kinda oblivious and is more like a fly on a wall,he does have experience with trailers but that does not change things,the sil pretty much runs the show in that house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misn1 View Post
First of this week, the minister of music at my church (we are good friends) texted me and asked if he borrow my 5th wheel for an extra bedroom for the weekend. He said that both sets of their parents decided to come for a surprise visit and they don't have room at their house. I texted him back and told him that we had traded up for a Motorhome and that we are using it this weekend...going to out of town graduation ceremonies. But that since the house was open, that they were welcome to stay here. Guess what...I haven't heard anything back from him. He would have to know that I wasn't trying to blow him off since I offered the house instead. I went by his house earlier and saw another friend's TT parked by his house. I get the fact that it's nice to have everybody at the same location but a 'no reply' kinda bums me out.
I get it,i don't worry at all when the sil is staying at our house but the last 2 times she stayed with us at while we were at work she left house and left the garage door open or left the front door unlocked several times, the mail man called me and told my garage door was open(she still dosnt believe that the mail man called me and told the garage door was open). DW told her if she ever did that again she couldn't stay with us anymore.so i guess that is a good reason why they should never use our trailer.
We have a few months until they come out to stay with us,should be enough time to figure something else to do other than camping while they are here,maybe we will take them RV shopping,they might need it if she leaves our house unlocked again........

Thanks for all the great reply's,i love all the unique ways to handle this type of situation, someone suggested printing out this thread and letting the sil read it and get pictures while she reads it-if i did that i think i would get to use the trailer by myself for an extended stay in my driveway not sure if that's a good idea or not........
Old 05-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #61

First of all, I would ABSOLUTELY not loan my DP to ANY friends, kin, or otherwise (e.g. church ministers). Knowing me, nobody would even ask.

But,......I was reading through this whole thread (for amusement), and noticed that in one post OP said that he would loan his rig to his brother any time! That's where the trouble is. IF OPs brother CAN borrow it, it's not fair that OP's DW's sister can't. OP's wife owns half of that trailer by law. IF they both own it, he gives it to his brother, she should be able to give it to her sister as well.

It's only fair. If one wants to have "no lending/renting" policy on one's RV, one HAS TO be consistent.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
It's only fair. If one wants to have "no lending/renting" policy on one's RV, one HAS TO be consistent.
It's not a matter of fair. The devil resides comfortably in all of the details.

One relation might be an excellent, careful driver, and their record and the times that people have driven with them easily reflects that. Their life is a glowing example of personal responsibility and they never complain about having difficulty paying their bills or taking care of things that need to be done in their life. Might even have experience driving large vehicles, and is willing to pay to carry their own insurance.

Another relation might be an awful driver, has a recent DUI, has cracked up nearly every car they've ever owned, and gets a traffic ticket or two every year. Also complains of being frequently behind in their bills, and other personal problems.

Now explain to me what is fair and what isn't between the two.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #63

Quote:
First of all, I would ABSOLUTELY not loan my DP to ANY friends, kin, or otherwise (e.g. church ministers). Knowing me, nobody would even ask.

But,......I was reading through this whole thread (for amusement), and noticed that in one post OP said that he would loan his rig to his brother any time! That's where the trouble is. IF OPs brother CAN borrow it, it's not fair that OP's DW's sister can't. OP's wife owns half of that trailer by law. IF they both own it, he gives it to his brother, she should be able to give it to her sister as well.

I failed to mention that my brother owns a 5th wheel and we camp together a several times a year and he would never ask to us our trailer anyway funny how that works,we trust him and he would take care of any damages or issue's,the sil would not!!!!-huge difference between the 2.just so everyone knows my wife and I are on the same page with this,she doesn't want the sil to use or even stay in it with us,its not an issue of if we're gonna let them use it (we are NOT gonna let them use it)but more of how to get her to get her to understand she can't use it,which I think we are past that stage now anyway.I think it's clear that we are gonna have to be blunt and just say NO!!!!! and that it's not up for debate and to stop brining it up,being nice obviously isn't working anymore.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #64

Just say No.
My truck and trailer, no. I have shown folks how to hook up and use the systems and told them where I rented a travel trailer. Next month a friend is driving his truck to NC and picking up a rental down there and camping in the Smokies.
Losthikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #65

Post 62 is a good one. Anybody giving a guilt trip about loaning out a major and breakable piece of property is just plain goofy. Tell (don't ask) your bride to deal with the ultimate taker. It shouldn't have to be on you at all.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
While all the helpful hints on how to explain why the OP isn't willing to loan out his rig are cute - I think they're a little misguided. The root of this problem are family members who apparently feel entitled to use the OP's property.

The OP's conversation about this will continue for as long as he permits it to. The OP already knows what he needs to do to put an end to it - and knew it when he made his original post.

Dealing with folks like his sister in law is easy. You just tell 'em no. How they accept or don't accept that response is their problem.
SpaceNorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:29 AM   #67

Quote:

Danielsand, I have to disagree, other people's idea of what is and is not "fair" when discussing the lending out of MY property does not move me terribly since they have absolutely NO "right" or "authority" to decide if and/or how I share my property!

[/QUOTE]
It's only fair. If one wants to have "no lending/renting" policy on one's RV, one HAS TO be consistent.[/QUOTE]

No one does NOT have to be consistent, it's your property, you can decide to loan it to whomever you wish to, or not to, at least until it is codified into law that you have to loan it to your deadbeat SIL, that is. May cause family problems, but all things are relative (pun intended) and some relatives are better related to at a distance, perhaps on another continent.

As stated by the poster you referenced, the brother was responsible and considerate of the property involved, and others may or may not be total idiots/inconsiderate, HOWEVER that still has absolutely NO BEARING on whether or not we decide to loan anyone anything. You are mistaking "privilege" with "rights". That happens quite a lot in this day and age, on a personal level, and on a macro level for the country as a whole, but to get into that would verge into politics which is forbidden on this forum, as it should be.

If in-laws want things to be "fair" as you say it, than they are welcome to purchase a travel trailer with there own money/credit, invest a lot of time and effort to get it just the way they want it, and then lend it to whomever they want, or not as THEY chose . . . . want to make any bets as to whether they would loan it to an inconsiderate, self centered relative, and then go camping and sleep in a TENT just to be "fair" to the other people?!? I'll take that bet! (In all fairness, of course, since it wouldn't be "fair" to not take it!) Hmmmm?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #68

I'm loving the line about insurance. I will be using that for sure
Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #69

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdigger View Post
This is the second time my sister-in-law has asked or more so assumed they could borrow our travel travel when they are in town to take camping which would include the truck as well,last time i explained that since they have never used a travel trailer before and how much the trailer/truck costs that my wife and i are not comfortable letting them use it, she didn't take us seriously and was a little offended by our answer. this time they want to go camping with us next month but she was shocked when we said we don't have room for 3 more people in the trailer and that they can use our tent and blow mattresses,her response "can we sleep in the trailer and you guys sleep in the tent", i said hell no and that we got the trailer so we don't have to sleep in tents anymore. The DW and i want to go camping with them but not sure what else i can say to get through to them,normally i would say NO!!!!! and that's that but i'm trying to be a nice guy about this.I know this has been discussed on here before and i just curious how others on here have handled this type of situation
I really don't understand why people are so afraid of offending someone these days. It's YOUR truck and trailer, it's YOUR money, It's YOUR responsibility if something goes wrong. After the way she talked to you, I would have no qualms about telling her in no uncertain terms, NO!. AND THAT'S FINAL! Try it , might work for you.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #70

"No one" borrows my Fifth Wheel! I mean "NO ONE". You may go with me, if I invite you.