Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
I'm loving the line about insurance. I will be using that for sure
You don't need a "Line". All you need is the gumption to stand up and say NO. Check with your insurance provider. If they would be covered you have lied to the SIL. Don't bring yourself down to that level.
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #72

Jayco Owners Club
My response would be.......... We've had this conversation. The answer was and is still... no. Please don't bother asking again, as the answer will never change.

Yes, I've used those very words.... but only had to use them once.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #73

I read all the replies to this thread. Remember that the last line of the OP was "I know this has been discussed on here before and i just curious how others on here have handled this type of situation."

The replies suggest that many have been asked this very question.

Taking a slightly different view, I think that it is wonderful if you have family and friends that are close enough to even ASK to borrow your MH or travel trailer rig.

If you have both family AND friends (who have the nerve to ask) you are even more blessed than most.

But, yes, you know the answer is no.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
There are several things at work here.

Simply saying "NO" may be effective but they will always think of new ways to ask the same question . . . . repeatedly.

I prefer the "NO" followed by a short rationale that forever halts them from asking the question again. "NO - I do not lend out my motorhome to friends or relatives"

Using the same procedure that you use to train your children. Simply saying no does not provide them any information or training to advance their education so they will understand what is happening. Having an educator say simply no somehow defeats the purpose of their career. The important part to teach children is I will give you a reason but I will not argue about it. If you do not understand the reason ask me and I will explain the reason.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:06 AM   #75

We would rather friends and family use our bedroom and we sleep in the RV. It is not only a big investment, but things work differently and are easier to break. I had my brother come to Vermont for a winter vacation while we were on a trip. They were welcome to use our house, but we denied their request to use our vehicles, ski clothing and ski gear. I told him we would all be a lot happier if they rented. We saved them a bundle on lodging.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #76

Looking for a polite way to say NO

Sorry. I do not loan or borrow vehicles, period!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:10 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
They aren't being nice about it in my opinion, so maybe you need to stop being nice about it, too.
^^ This. 'Nuff said.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:35 AM   #78

Thor Owners Club
No, hell no, nope, no way, not a chance, not gonna happen, uh-eh, you're dreaming, you're high, don't be a mooch, buy your own, the wife said no, say what?, it's broke, are all things I could think of to tell someone who wants to use the RV.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #79

Choose a resort or campground that offers cabin or on-site rv rental. It's a great option....the families get to camp together however they have their own sleeping quarters. Some of the campgrounds in our area offer sleeping only cabins that are dispersed throughout the campground. Socialize and eat at our site.... sleep, shower and relieve themselves elsewhere. Works for me!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #80

"NO" is usually the first word we learn, obviously they still haven't!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #81

I've never lent my sailboat and will never lend my RV. I just say "sorry, I don't lend it".
I've never had anybody ask twice.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #82

Sounds like my family. Ughh. My mom was always telling my family members you should call them and borrow their trailer and truck!! We said NO WAY. Go rent one. This is not a rental. This is OUR vacation home! And we worked very hard to be able to buy it. Some people. Ugh!

Not all who wander are lost
Old 05-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
Choose a resort or campground that offers cabin or on-site rv rental. It's a great option....the families get to camp together however they have their own sleeping quarters. Some of the campgrounds in our area offer sleeping only cabins that are dispersed throughout the campground. Socialize and eat at our site.... sleep, shower and relieve themselves elsewhere. Works for me!
While this would certainly be an option - were I in the OP's shoes - I'm not sure there's a solution that would involve me spending much if any of my free time with somebody like his SIL who seems to figure she's got any say in what I do with my RV.

I've always found that distance - and lots of it! - is the best way to deal with folks who possess his SIL's mindset. But, hey, that's just me!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:35 AM   #84

If I don't go, my MH doesn't go. And my bedroom is MY BEDROOM. We waited a long time and saved for this adventure. They can do the same......sorry but they sound like free loaders.