Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #1

Looking for Decent Diesel Fuel in Northern Michigan

We are currently planning a 2018 trip (mid-August through Mid-September) to Michigan and we are having difficulty finding decent diesel fuel stops. We like the big-rig diesel pumps/big truck lanes where we don't have to worry about trying to maneuver around to get diesel fuel. We are 38 feet long and are pulling a Honda CRV. Our total length is around 57 feet. Northern Michigan is hard to travel Lake Huron and Like Michigan coastlines due to two lane highways. So diesel fuel stops become an issue. I have searched "Allstays" and TruckMaster® Fuel Finder without any luck. I am hopeful that some of you veterans know the best places to refuel near the following cities.

Port Hope, MI
Tawas City, MI
Mackinaw City, MI
Ludington, MI

Thanks to all read and respond to our post, Dave
ohiowoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We spent last summer in the UP and though not quiet as long as you (we were 48 feet total length) and had a much smaller fuel tank, I assume, than you do (ours was 24 gallons or so) and never had a problem getting gas. I think you will be ok. Maybe when in the area of where you are going to set up camp you might want to unhook if necessary and fill up before setting up.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
When traveling to unfamiliar places I use Google Maps satellite view to scope out campgrounds and fuel stops. When you zoom in it automatically switches to the street view. Look at Port Hope Quick Stop gas station, there's not much there to get in your way.

don
bobbidonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

I use "The RVer's Friend" book of North American Diesel and Parking areas. It is a book of America's truck and travel plazas. It also lists places in Canada. I picked it up at a Flying J. It is a book of RV accessible diesel and service locations, and dump sites.
It does list some in Northern Michigan. It is what I use for planning fuel stops and then I use Google Earth to see where the pumps are located.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Never been to Michigan so can't answer your question! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Closest I've been to Michigan was Minnesota and we flew there.
Seems like I need to pick up some pointers on finding good fueling spots. Out here on the west coast there isn't any problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Use Truckers Path an android or iOS app. There is a truck stop in Whitehall (south of Ludington), one in Cheboygan near Mackinaw City and there are several truck stops as you travel the east coast. Don’t get below 1/2 tank before fueling. There are fueling stops but they are spaced out in Northern Michigan.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #8

Although our set up is truck/5th wheel truck is LONG and so is 5th wheel

We traveled FT for 7 yrs and only used a 'truck fuel station' a couple times......all the other fill ups where done at regular service stations as ae traveled secondary/back roads rarely using Interstates

I look at it this way........
Some CGs are tougher than ANY fuel station
A 5000 gallon semi truck/tanker services those stations
If I can safely pull in to fuel isle I AM going to get out

During those 7 yrs of FT traveling weekly point to point we went thru a lot of fuel and filled up at just about every type of service station out there.
A few of them were a bit of a challenge to get back out but it was done w/o damage
All part of the adventure.

Now CGs .....that is where it can get scary
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

You may want to look at Meijer Stores (a grocery chain with fuel stations). They typically have fill stations and pumps parallel to the store and not perpendicular. Easy drive straight through.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #10

We travel extensively in Michigan and Northern Wisconsin. We have two books that we take with us all over the US when towing our 5er. The first one is the "Next Exit" which covers interstates for diesel fuel requirements. The other is the "RVER's Friend" which has already been mention. Both of these books work for our diesel fuel needs. Although I tow a 5er when the 5er is attached I am still 55 feet long and 13'-6" tall so, I need truck friendly stations. So finding fuel station that will fit my rig and truck are essential.
Both books will specify which stations are RV friendly and what they have to offer has far as amenities at the station. They have served us will as we travel thru the US.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #11

Going around Mich you have some pretty good size towns that have decent local truck stops, Port Huron, Bay City, Mackinaw City, Petosky, and Traverse City. Diesel fuel for any big truck should not be a problem. The farther you go North of Bay City, the higher the $$. Check Gas Buddy, then google the station. Pilot's and Loves will be scarce, but the local stations usually have diesel pumps in back for semis to pull through. How much fuel do you need, maybe 2 fill ups? That trip should only be 600 miles following the shore line, it's not remote by any means, mostly cottages. Depending on your range, I would fill up at Port Huron (new at Pilot I-69, exit 196), Alpena, and Traverse City. My truck and FW are 61' long, the shore route is not a problem.
If you can, take the toad and drive the tunnel of trees, M119 from Cross Village (Polish Restaurant, Legs Inn) to Harbor Springs, not so good with a rig, curvey and trees (spectacular in mid Sept fall colors).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #12

At Ludington there is a Meijers right where 31 from the south connects in with 10. It is pretty much a drive through situation.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #13

You'll be fine. A lot of the gas stations are setup so you can pull through the outside pump in a u shape fashion or pull straight in and drive around the store to get out. Before my trip to the Upper Penninsula I used the Trucker Path app to find the truck stops and then used google maps to see the layout. I then bought a full size map and highlighted our route and marked the gas stations and stops so that if we lost cell coverage we had all of the gas stations I liked identified. Throughout our route we had plenty of places to stop for gas and the planning reduced my stress before and during the trip. Have fun!

mgw44
mgw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Logging is big business in Northern Michigan. There are usually truck friendly fuel stops in most towns that the loggers have no problem accessing.

We've traveled across Northern Michigan numerous times and have never had a problem finding fuel. I mostly look at Gasbuddy for fuel prices and go with the lowest price. If the station doesn't look like it has decent access I move on to the nest one. Works for me.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel