Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Looking for mod to keep assist handle from being closed over door

I have searched the internet and the fourms,and have been unsucessful in finding info on a mod to the step assist handle to keep anyone from accidently moving the handle over the door when closed. The chance exists that people are able to be "locked in there unit" by some one outside moving the handle to the stowed position over the door.

Has anyone seen this thread or info for this mod?
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Highly unlikely to happen, and if it did on mine I could just open the window to move the handle. Now as to fixing it you can take a file or grinder and remove the sharp edge of the detent so pushing on the door from inside will cause it to go to the open position. This however can make the arm less stable while using it for support so be careful.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #3

I wonder if they make them where they fold in the opposite direction? Maybe search for one that folds opposite of your door if there is room.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

Not something that I would want to do, because I have two doors anyway.

Don't know if the screw holes would match up, but wonder if it could be flipped upside down?
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

Mount the door holder bracket (the female receiver that the "T" goes into) where it will contact the handle when moved into position over the door. It will hold it just far enough out of the detent it will not lock into place.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Can you drill a hole through mount and handle when it is open to allow for a pin to be inserted as a lock pin.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Can you drill a hole through mount and handle when it is open to allow for a pin to be inserted as a lock pin.
This made me realize an easier way-drill a hole through the actual handle pipe and mount a rubber furniture foot on the side facing the door. It will still let it swing towards the door but as long as the foot is tall enough (1/2 inch or so) it should keep it from locking up.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #8

As long as I have been on the internet forums, have never heard of anyone saying their assist handle was closed on the door by someone while they were inside. And, yes, we could reach it by opening the slide window/screen.
Tho it could happen, I think of this as a non-problem.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door