Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon_fwa View Post
Select comfort makes a very nice product, and customer service is excellent. Not to mention infinitely adjustable, so whoever sleeps on it can adjust it to their preference. Little pricey, but spending thousands on a rolling house, what's a few hindred more.. Lol
Just a warning about the select comfort. It is a great bed if you are a reasonably normal sized person. I'm not and ours did not work for me. The reason is that the air bags in a select comfort bed are sized for the width of most people. My spouse and I were both larger than that and we could not get the adjustment right. Since we both frequently spread out into the other person's zone, one or the other would always feel like they were "falling" into the side of the bed with the lower pressure. Had we been able to use a king sized mattress, the results might have been better. If you're a big guy as you stated, please make sure you can sleep with your sleep partner on one of these beds before you buy it. We got rid of ours and bought a Temper-Pedic and we are much, much happier.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoffat View Post
it is my understanding that RV mattresses are not standard size rather they are 2-3 in shorter than standard.
Not always true - depends on the RV. Many (including ours) have standard mattress sizes. Those that don't usually have dual slide outs in the bedroom where the mattress ends up under a set of dressers at the foot, or like our former TT & 5-r, just put the shorter versions in so there's seem to be more room to maneuver around the bed in the bedroom. The only way to know is to measure the mattress you have.

That said, mattresses are a personal preference & it's difficult to recommend something for another person. You could try a memory foam topper to start. That's what we did & it made world of difference for us. At least with the topper, you aren't out several hundred or thousands of dollars. Then if that doesn't work, go the new mattress route. If you like what you have at home, start with getting one like that.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #17

If you've never tried a Tempur-Pedic, do yourself a favor and check it out. Have one at home but didn't want to spend that much again for motorhome, so went to Denver Mattress and checked out their cheaper memory foam mattresses. Found one we like and it is VERY close to our Tempur-Pedic. Good thing is if you have a coach that requires a "shorter" queen mattress, you could cut it with an electric knife to custom fit. Fortunately, we didn't have to.
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at Serta. Serta is designed for rigid box springs, so they work well on your rigid RV platform.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post
Sleep Number, you either love them or hate them. We are in the later category. We replaced our Sleep Number with a memory foam mattress (not a temperpedic) and are very happy. Anyone want to buy an RV king sleep number?
You might as well buy a Aero bed from Walmart as a sleep number. Nothing but a high priced air mattress. We have three temperpedics at our Kansas home, one just for the cats, one for the MH and one for us. In our new Vegas home we just bought four Temperpedics and got it over with. Although to be fair, the only place we ever slept on a Sleep number bed was in a hotel, and the controls wouldn't work. I think its more of a personal preference thing. We love our Temperpedics and our Norcold. As long as the shop doesn't burn down. The Norcold has been on for almost two years now with a hiccup or fire. by the way our Newmar uses a standard queen size mattress.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
We love our Temperpedics and our Norcold. As long as the shop doesn't burn down. The Norcold has been on for almost two years now with a hiccup or fire.
The Norcolds usually wait until about 5-7 years old before the cyclic thermal stresses on the boiler turn them into a blowtorch. You have at least a few more years until it burns your coach down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I had one of these for ten years and loved it. All the comfort of a Sleep Comfort bed (I have one of them too) and much lower cost.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #22

We just bought a new 2013 Wildcat Stering Edition that came with a "Trump" mattress. I won't get into the politics of the name, but it is one of the most comfortable mattress we have ever had.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Like Jeeptrekker, we got rid of the SelectComfort and opted for a memory foam/gel mattress. Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the memory foam family of mattresses have a nice warmth to them once you have laid down for about 30 minutes. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I just purchased the 8 inch Luxury Cool-Max Gel Foam RV Mattress II from MattressInsider.

I have slept on it for one week now and it's GREAT!

They have a 100 day full refund warranty that doesn't require you to return the mattress which would be VERY costly to do.

However, I don't believe I will be asking for a refund.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #25

Mattress choice is subjective. Go to a good mattress store and try them out. We chose a foam mattress because it was lighter (still pretty darned heavy) and they are pricey. A good mattress is worth the investment to me. We spend at least 1/3 of our lives sleeping so why not be comfortable.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #26

Mattresses are so personal that only you can decide what is right. My SO and I hate the sleep number beds and remove them from the coaches, others love them. We have been very happy with bed in the box memory foam mattresses but as I said before only YOU can decide what is right for you.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #27

Denver Mattress with Furniture Row store is a good place to look.We just got a foam rv king and it is what we needed,very comfortable.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Like Jeeptrekker, we got rid of the SelectComfort and opted for a memory foam/gel mattress. Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the memory foam family of mattresses have a nice warmth to them once you have laid down for about 30 minutes. \ken
That nice warmth from a memory foam mattress may be fine in some locations but in the Deep South , it's borderline torture. We tried the memory foam and I've never sweated that much and worked so hard to turn over. I wish I still had my grandmothers feather mattress She died when I as very young but that mattress is one of the few memories I can recall of her house.