Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lost key insurance

When I was at Ace Hardware recently having extra keys made, I spotted a display of custom made tags. Since I am paranoid about losing the keys to the RV and being stranded, I had them make me 2 tags with: CALL (my cellphone number) FOR REWARD. One for each the regular and spare set of keys.

Hopefully, if I do misplace them, someone will call me quickly. Also, on my Ford, the keyless entry and the key can be separated. I read somewhere not to leave them together as a pickpocket can locate your vehicle using the panic button and make off with it before you even know your keys are gone.

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FMCA offers that as a free service to members through Kiley Mold company. Just order the key fobs, anybody finding them can drop them in the mail. They're sent to FMCA HQ and yoiu can have them send them to you.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
FMCA offers that as a free service to members through Kiley Mold company. Just order the key fobs, anybody finding them can drop them in the mail. They're sent to FMCA HQ and yoiu can have them send them to you.
I am hoping to get them back much quicker than what the US Postal service could manage. Being a full-timer, my snail mail address is a mail forwarding service in SD. It would take 3 trips thru the USPS to find me and that could take weeks. Hence, my paranoia.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep a set of spare keys duct taped to the frame on all my vehicles.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do for the MH, except I used a nylon zip tie through the hole in the keys. So far I've never needed them!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you offer a reward for something as cheap as a key? At less than $2 each I have several spares for every vehicle I own. If I lose a key, I really don't care. I have more, and there is nothing on the key to identify me or what it fits, so there is no security problem. I get out my spare and life goes on uninterrupted, and I have another spare made for a dollar or two before the day is over.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you offer a reward for something as cheap as a key? At less than $2 each I have several spares for every vehicle I own. If I lose a key, I really don't care. I have more, and there is nothing on the key to identify me or what it fits, so there is no security problem. I get out my spare and life goes on uninterrupted, and I have another spare made for a dollar or two before the day is over.
I have keys, such as my scooter keys, that cannot be made but must be ordered and it could take weeks. AND... I have lost many sets in recent years
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I wish we had key insurance. My wife lost the key to our VW Jetta. It is a laser cut electronic key, cost $400. We elected just to use our second key and she is very careful not to lose it.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Key insurance

I have found that the best form of key insurance is:
IF YOU HAVE A SECOND SET WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES, YOU WILL NEVER LOOSE THE FIRST SET.
I always keep a spare set wire tied to a hidden spot on the unit. I put a little spray lube on them to keep them from getting corrosion on them.

WORKS FOR ME!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #10

I have a set in one of the locked compartments. I have a second key to the locked compartment in an unlocked coompartment.If someone finds the second key it willl not open the door.I don't think they will take the time to unlock all the compartments looking for another key.
I guess the insurance fob would be good for the expensive keys .
Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Maybe I'm missing it too, but I don't get the big deal.

Our MH has a different key for the cab doors. I keep a complete spare set hidden inside the coach, and a spare door key hidden outside the coach. So if I ever loose my keys, I just get the spare door key to get in, then I have the spare complete set for whatever is needed.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, so I'm paranoid. I'd prefer to get my keys returned in a matter of minutes as opposed to weeks or never. I have lost some very expensive car keys, some key rings I really liked, and fear that I might lose an irreplaceable key some day.

How I wish I had thought of putting my cell phone number on my keys years ago. I put the reward on there as a motive for those who would need the incentive to help a stranger. But would you accept money for making a phone call? I wouldn't, and nowadays, the folks I hang out around wouldn't either.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem with most hiding places for spare keys is the crooks know where they are. The trick to making a hidden key practical is to make it as inconvenient to get to as possible. Putting it someplace that may require partial disassmbly of something or getting filthy to get to it will discourage most casual thieves.

Wiring the key to the frame is a good idea if you cover the key with a layer of caulking. You will have to scrape off the caulk to get to the key but a thief is not likely to think to look there. If the caulk gets too hard to scrape off with your fingers, a rock will knock it off.

If replacement keys take a long time to order in, now is the best time to get those replacements, not when you have already lost it.

$400 for a key? The chipped keys on my F150 cost only $35 from the dealer. They cost more elsewhere but the highest price I encountered was only $60 at Ace Hardware.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Magnetic Hide A Key on the generator frame

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote