Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #1

Lots of RV Sites Available in FL 2019?

So we've got at least 20 Canadians who won't be returning next year to the RV park we're at in FL. Apparently, the unfavorable exchange rate has reached the tipping point and they're leaving. I'm assuming this is not limited to our park, nor just the state of FL. Not entirely sure if they're going to stay home in the snowy north or try to find cheaper parks down here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

I don't have any idea what park or area you're talking about but I had a hard time finding a place in Ft Myers Beach and I booked in August. I booked in the Titusville area a month ago for 18 days and got the last site and I have to spend the first 3 nights in the overflow area with only electric hookups. Took me forever to get 6 days a Ft. Wilderness in mid January and I'm still looking for something in the Keys for a couple of weeks in mid to late March.

I guess I'm just trying to book in the wrong places or at least places where Canadians weren't going anyway.

The exchange rate on 1/18/17 was .78 and today (1/17/18) it was .75 so I doubt the exchange rate has much to do with anything. Maybe they all decided that southern Canada was warm enough. You know, with global warming and everything they might not need to go to Florida anymore.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

For most snowbirds, I dont think a few cents on the dollar is going to sway their decision to come south. Let me assure you that global warming is not helping with keeping us warm up here in the Great North. We have had two feet of snow since the first of December here in Muskoka. Just like the price of fuel, the exchange rate isnt going to stop most from getting away from the cold if they were planning on going anyway. I know it wouldnt change my mind.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that at Twin Lakes Travel Park near Ft Lauderdale ?

It is pretty much all French speaking people from Quebec. I don't speak French....guess what.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #5

Where are the snow birds going to go?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #6

Yes, the dollar fluctuates daily, but you only need to look at the difference in absolute dollars from one year to the next.
So an entire Winter get-a-way might only be a couple of hundred dollars more this year versus last.
Is this really enough reason to "cancel" your vacation plans?
Certainly not for us.
If indeed 20 people are not returning to a specific RV park I would suggest it might be the park and not the dollar!
Southern Florida is in big demand and the rates do reflect this, but not all parks keep up in terms of improvements and amenities etc.
Texas is definitely a bargain in comparison, and offers a change to the same old.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

Every RV resort around Ft. Myers Beach I contacted, was fully-booked last summer for Jan, Feb, Mar 2019; and was maintaining a waiting list. Finally obtained a site at Gulf Air RV resort in Ft. Myers Beach only to be forced to cancel last Oct. due to health issue.

I began to apologize for cancelling when the desk clerk said their waiting list full, they weren't taking more names. not to worry.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Met a snowbird who did a smart thing a few years back. They bought a house in a retirement community in Indio, California. When the exchange rates were even, they moved some of their money to a U.S. bank and pay their bills and mortgage with that money. Has saved them quite a bit in exchange rates.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #9

I found Arizona to be a much better place than overpopulated, run down, beat up Florida. South Texas is a close 2nd.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've spent many hours and days searching for weekly spots along both Florida coasts. Lucky if you can find a weekly for less than $300.
Started back in mid summer looking. Had to make many compromises and changes.
Now mid Dec. Only 2 more weeks to fill in til mid April.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #11

To be clear, the Canadians are here this season (most have been here for several years), it's next season 2019-2020 they are NOT returning. They specifically told the management their decision was solely the exchange rate. The park is maybe 20% Canadians.

I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
To be clear, the Canadians are here this season (most have been here for several years), it's next season 2019-2020 they are NOT returning. They specifically told the management their decision was solely the exchange rate. The park is maybe 20% Canadians.

I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me.
Which park are you referring to? We will be looking for some place to spend the winter next year.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #13

We are down here off the coast of Cape Coral, on Pine Island. This is the second year we've come down here. Last year before we left on April 1st we made our reservations for this winter season. The park is currently only about half full but was told they are completely booked January through the end of February.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
So we've got at least 20 Canadians who won't be returning next year to the RV park we're at in FL. Apparently, the unfavorable exchange rate has reached the tipping point and they're leaving. I'm assuming this is not limited to our park, nor just the state of FL. Not entirely sure if they're going to stay home in the snowy north or try to find cheaper parks down here.
Can you spread the word to exclude Arizona also?

There are quite a few here now, including the ones that speak a strange language - not Spanish.
MaryKay2 is offline   Reply With Quote