Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Lotsa Little Problems!

This is our first trip of the season and I swear, it's like we're total newbies. We got the coach of her garage yesterday so I could finish loading and flush the lines of antifreeze. We put the jacks down because I needed to open the slides.

We're all loaded, engine running, jacks won't retract. Grrr! After trying various combinations of button punching and some "colorful" expletives, Gary remembers the proper sequence and the jacks retract just like they're supposed to.

The drive here was fairly uneventful which was to lull us into complacency. We get to our site, get parked and the first order of business is to get the satellite set up. We've never such a struggle to get a signal on the Winegard carryout! It was moved and moved and moved again. Finally, we got it situated and we had TV.

When we'd hooked up to water, I had to flip the switch from filling the fresh water tank to city water. Apparently, I didn't get it flipped as far as it should have been because I heard water pouring somewhere when I took the dogs out. That thing that hangs under the coach and we didn't know what it was must be the over flow. So now we have a very full tank of fresh water.

The weird thing is that the grey tank also reads full. It's never been right though. It tends to stay at 2/3 even after being dumped so I really don't think it is full.

There is no way the fresh tank can overflow into the grey can it?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

OHHH and perhaps the most serious "oops", at least according to Gary, is that he did not get his fishing vest and net packed! It nearly was the end of the world but he seems to have managed to find enough flys and other stuff one keeps in a vest so he can fish. Crisis averted!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
This is our first trip of the season and I swear, it's like we're total newbies. We got the coach of her garage yesterday so I could finish loading and flush the lines of antifreeze. We put the jacks down because I needed to open the slides.

We're all loaded, engine running, jacks won't retract. Grrr! After trying various combinations of button punching and some "colorful" expletives, Gary remembers the proper sequence and the jacks retract just like they're supposed to.

The drive here was fairly uneventful which was to lull us into complacency. We get to our site, get parked and the first order of business is to get the satellite set up. We've never such a struggle to get a signal on the Winegard carryout! It was moved and moved and moved again. Finally, we got it situated and we had TV.

When we'd hooked up to water, I had to flip the switch from filling the fresh water tank to city water. Apparently, I didn't get it flipped as far as it should have been because I heard water pouring somewhere when I took the dogs out. That thing that hangs under the coach and we didn't know what it was must be the over flow. So now we have a very full tank of fresh water.

The weird thing is that the grey tank also reads full. It's never been right though. It tends to stay at 2/3 even after being dumped so I really don't think it is full.

There is no way the fresh tank can overflow into the grey can it?
I can't think of anyway the fresh can bleed into the grey without water going down a drain. Are you hooked to sewer so you can open the valve and see if it is full? It wasn't left full from last year was it? That is doubtful but sometimes we do forget
Old 05-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
OHHH and perhaps the most serious "oops", at least according to Gary, is that he did not get his fishing vest and net packed! It nearly was the end of the world but he seems to have managed to find enough flys and other stuff one keeps in a vest so he can fish. Crisis averted!
Lol, that is equivalent to forgetting to bring the coffee pot
Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many times I've goofed up the water valves and I never have to flush antifreeze out of the lines. Keys in the ignition or failing to set the emergency brake will continue to haunt me. I tried to develop a check list but I continue to forget where I put the darned thing.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I can't think of anyway the fresh can bleed into the grey without water going down a drain. Are you hooked to sewer so you can open the valve and see if it is full? It wasn't left full from last year was it? That is doubtful but sometimes we do forget
Nope. We dumped on our last trip in the fall.

To actually see the tank (which probably wouldn't tell us much anyway) we have to take the pegboard in the tool bay out.

It'd be a PITA to have to unhook and go dump just for peace of mind!
Old 05-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:

To actually see the tank (which probably wouldn't tell us much anyway) we have to take the pegboard in the tool bay out.

It'd be a PITA to have to unhook and go dump just for peace of mind!
I agree, I thought maybe you might be on sewer. Probably just the sensors flunked up.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife and I have decided RVing isn't for sissies.

There is always something going wrong but we say that's why RVing is called an Adventure.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #9

Quote:
We had a Newmar and behind our pegboard was the fresh water tank, not the gray if that's what you were trying to see.

Also, we cut a narrow long slit about 1" wide down the pegboard so we could see the fresh water volume without having to remove anything from the pegboard. This was helpful when boondocking for a long time and we wanted to know exactly how much water was left.

When filling the fresh water tank we also used this slit as a way to know when the tank was 'just about' full so it didn't overflow while driving as we turned corners.

Hope things get back on track for you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:28 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:

Lol, I didn't mean visually see if it was full. They are always black or grey. I meant if you were hooked to sewer dump to see if it was full.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:31 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We had a Newmar and behind our pegboard was the fresh water tank, not the gray if that's what you were trying to see.

Also, we cut a narrow long slit about 1" wide down the pegboard so we could see the fresh water volume without having to remove anything from the pegboard. This was helpful when boondocking for a long time and we wanted to know exactly how much water was left.

When filling the fresh water tank we also used this slit as a way to know when the tank was 'just about' full so it didn't overflow while driving as we turned corners.

Hope things get back on track for you!
That is the first thing I always do with a new RV, add access to the fresh water tank. We also like to boondock and as you say it is nice to be able to visually see how much water you have over trusting the sensors.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #12

We're going to use out of the fresh tank this week so will empty most of it out. We haven't sanitized it yet so will have to truck out to the spigot to get water for coffee and to drink.

I was surprised to learn we can carry 105 gallons of fresh! I looked the capacities up on the brochure out of curiosity. I guess the 50 that I was remembering was in the G'town gasser.

Our grey tank is suspended from the floor by metal straps right behind the pegboard & the fresh is under it. We know this because we had a leak where the sink drained into the grey and had to remove the pegboard. Both tanks are visible when the pegboard is out and in the right light, we could see the water level in the fresh. If we could get to the grey, we might be able to knock on it to see if it's empty. I just don't see anyway that the fresh can over flow into the grey. At least IMO, it shouldn't be able to!

I may call Newmar this morning. I'm sure they've had sillier questions.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I think I am confused becase the sink should drain into the Grey. On a lot of Rv's they will drain the bath sink into the black to make sure it gets enough water. There should never be a direct connection between the grey and the fresh for sanitary reasons. I think your sensors are off. I would think you would notice if the toilet or sink faucets were leaking.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I think I am confused becase the sink should drain into the Grey. On a lot of Rv's they will drain the bath sink into the black to make sure it gets enough water. There should never be a direct connection between the grey and the fresh for sanitary reasons. I think your sensors are off. I would think you would notice if the toilet or sink faucets were leaking.
I KNOW the sensors are off but it's never shown full before. The kitchen sink drains into the grey but I was under the assumption that everything not toilet drained into the grey.

There are no faucets leaking which is the only way I could see water getting into the grey tank so we're going with the sensors being wrong.

My sis and I are always reminding each other that "Camping is Fun"!

I think I'll change my sig to include that.