Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Love and Hate Frameless Windows

My class c has the black, frameless windows. I love the look of them!

But, I hate that water easily sits on the top of them. A couple of mine are leaking and I'm sure it's because of some small gaps in the seals. This is easily fixed and I'll do that this weekend. But, the fix still leaves the fact water will sit on top of them.

I'm thinking about installing black window deflectors on the tops of the windows. These are the normal deflectors you can get for cars and trucks. Since the windows open from the top and hinge outward, a deflector wouldn't impede opening the window. Or, maybe I use a sunroof deflector such as in this picture below.

Any thoughts? Is there a better solution? Or, just a dumb idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	90301  
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anywhere water sits, a problem will follow. I think you might have a good idea.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The deflectors kind of defeat the design of a FRAMELESS window! How about a bead of silicone across the top.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #4

this is actually a great idea for my front two driver and passenger sliding windows on my Palazzo - one problem we've encountered is not only rain, but the a/c 'drip' always seems to find it's way here! Because the windows slide open rear-to-front when you want to have a breeze, the a/c drip lands right on the base of the window frame- not only collecting in the bottom of the window frame(inside), but splattering in the coach too.

thanks!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #5

We have had the same problem in the past and a bead of silicon corrected the problem. Like any sealing agent, it must be checked and refreshed periodically.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

I think that frameless windows are actually a cost reduction by the manufacturer. And, they are being "sold" to the RV buying public as the next "gotta have" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The deflectors kind of defeat the design of a FRAMELESS window! How about a bead of silicone across the top.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I think that frameless windows are actually a cost reduction by the manufacturer. And, they are being "sold" to the RV buying public as the next "gotta have" thing.
Yes. I'm really glad we got a 2014 as my model went to frameless windows in 2015. They do look nice but I've heard lots of complaints about leaking.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #8

Sounds like it falls into the category of "just because you can ... doesn't mean you should"
The deflector idea mite be the ticket ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Do dual pane windows come in frameless?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the frameless windows look nice and a lot of the new RV's come that way, but they don't flow air as well as having the sliding type that many of us are use to. We bought our coach off the lot new and it had the frameless windows as an upgrade. We've gotten use to them, but there were times when we use to slide open the window and screen on our previous coach and get an unobstructed view or pass items through the window. We miss that.

The frameless have a gap at the top, but you can easily run a bead of silicone around the top and a couple of inches down the side and solve the drip issue. Installing the deflectors may cause some unintended issues. I'm guessing the only way to install them would be to drill and screw them on or take a chance they get blown off in the wind. Now you chance a leak issue. The other problem could be wind noise, especially near the driver's window.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #11

Yes the frameless windows come in dual pane.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Yes the frameless windows come in dual pane.
Darn. Thank you!
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

I have never noticed water collecting at the top of the windows. We like ours, easy to open and no rain gets in if we are away. That said, we do not open the windows to often as it is even easier to turn on the fan.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a couple wire cages that attach over a windows for the cats to go outside in. Would have needed to figure out a way to do it with the frameless windows and rebuild the cages to fit. Didn't look real promising due to the operating arms in the way.
Solved the problem by buying an older rig that has the framed windows but I still need to get cages mounted.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window