Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #1

live in florida and for sure twice a year love bugs . I have had to use touch up paint as I did not get them off in time. Is there any thing that can be done like spray on befor a trip?
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #2

live in florida and for sure twice a year love bugs . I have had to use touch up paint as I did not get them off in time. Is there any thing that can be done like spray on befor a trip?
Jim

Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I haven't tried it, but I believe DupliColor makes a water-soluble spray-on shield for the front of cars and trucks that should work. I see it advertised on the satellite automotive channels all the time - it should be available at most auto parts stores. It washes off with soap and water after the trip.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live in Coastal Georgia and we get the little kritters to. I've found that a real good hard wax will protect the paint and they'll clean off with Windex or ammonia and water. Oh yea, and just a little elbow grease.

08 Mini Cooper Tow
T Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
paz

Has anyone ever heard of or tried RejeX? I've seen it advertised, but I've never tried it. Their ad says "so slick, bugs can't stick." Their web site says it works on love bugs.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Bounce fabric softener sheets. Wet down the areas with a hose, wet the sheet and just rub it over the windows and any other area affected. Works like a charm without harmful chemicals and very little effort. Just hose it off when done.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here in LA the love bugs are terrible this year. They are everwhere inside the MH.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lthrnk:
Bounce fabric softener sheets. Wet down the areas with a hose, wet the sheet and just rub it over the windows and any other area affected. Works like a charm without harmful chemicals and very little effort. Just hose it off when done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you do this befor going out on a trip? Then hose down after driving?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
No you use them after you have killed a million bugs. Really works well, will take the little carcasses off the paint, decals and glass surfaces. Leaves a little gray residue but that will rinse right off with a hose or bucket of water. You can even use them on a squeegee to reach upper windows. Down here in FL there are wash stations at the rest stops, just pull under and it's automatic (when they work).
Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second the motion on Bounce. I learned that secret from an avid RV'er years ago and have used them on all of my vehicles ever since. Seems the "softner" is the key. I soak them up with the bounce and once they are softened up they wash off very easily. And it seems the next round of bugs comes off easier after using Bounce once.

'04 HR Admiral SE 30' PDD P32 WCC
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #11

I've heard of the bounce also. Wax is still the best, but one year, before leaving on a 3 hour trip throught the middle of solid lovebugs, I spayed garlic Pam(I use it on my fishing lures) on the front of the coach...once I got home, a little soap ona bush and they slid...I mean came off, plus that we smelled like a pizza going down the road.
Shorty

'98 Dutch Star DP, Spartan, Cummins
Aarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I had used the Pam in the past but found if you didn't get it off soon enough it dried hard and was a real tough cleanup. GLWilliams58 is right, once you use the bounce it is even easier the next time. The great thing about it is you can keep a small box of the bounce sheets almost anywhere and they are always handy and ready to use.

Another thing about Bounce. If you are bothered by flying insects put a sheet or two in your pockets, dry unused, and it helps keep them away.

Mike
Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Okay, I'm specializing in stupid questions today. We live in Arizona, and right now we're traveling to Tennessee. We seem to be going through a lot of "bug storms". So, what is a Love Bug? Is this what we're running into?

Thanks...

Brenda, of
Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Love bugs are black bugs that fly, ummmm, shall we say linked in tandem. Thus, the name "love bug". They are extremely acidic and will eat pock-marks into the paint and/or gelcoat or will leave a dark stain if allowed to stay on the rig too long. I wash them off every morning when traveling if a dew falls overnight to soften them up. If not, out comes the bucket and brush anyway.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote