Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Low Clearance Devices or Publications Recommended

Would like to obtain some sort of info concerning low clearance alerts, weather that be by means of GPS or some publication that would list the low clearances for overpasses, bridges,etc. Plan to do off Interstate driving this Summer on state and county roads. Thanks for any response.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a listing for Truckers, also maps for truckers will list clearances. Available at truck stops..
Low Clearances

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #3

I just purchased this Rand McNally RV 7720 GPS. You can enter you rv height and it is supposed to let you know when there is a low clearance. Am going to test it without the trailer soon.
RVND 7720
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

Low Clearances iPhone iPad Android Application - AllStays

Allstays has a nice app for finding Camp/RV sites and the low clearance info is also included in that.

You can also find the low clearances through the website at:
Low Clearance Stores and Location Directory | Low Clearance Locations
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Loaded this low clearance database on to my RVND 7720.

Low Clearance GPS Data
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #6

I will load that to my 7720 when it comes back to me.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFireMedic View Post
I will load that to my 7720 when it comes back to me.
When you load the POI file on to your 7720 the manage custom POI function will let you select an icon for the bridges/overpasses (I selected the red skull and crossed bones).

When you encounter a low clearance in the area of your travel the bottom of the 7720 screen where you would normally see, current road, cross street or current city will turn yellow to inform you of a potential clearance issue. When the particular bridge or overpass shows in your map view touch it and it will display the height on the top line of the 7720 screen.

For my 7720 I downloaded the Garmin version as it is supplied in CSV format. You will receive several files to choose from. I selected the single file with all low clearance data. SInce it's an excel file you can filter it in Excel, once filtered I sorted the dat by height and deleted all data with heights greater than the height of my MH plus 6".
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Duggie,

Just about all the devices have some POI files that will alert to low clearances. However, what is the probability that it will be 100% up-to-date. I also enjoy such devices, but there is one thing that I have trained my mind to do.

Look for the yellow triangular signs and watch the overhead height measurements on structures. My personal experience is to not trust an electronic device for "all" of those warning.

One day we were on a rural country road just touring around in the TOAD. Many, many miles later where I could just turn around or go forward - no other options - I came to a railroad trestle over the road. There was a sign, and the trestle was clearly marked, 7'6". Needless to say I was very happy we were not in the motorhome.

Train yourself to look at the roadside markings. When we first started out it was a contest by me that every time we came to an overhead structure that was marked, I would ask DW, "What was the height on that bridge?" It kept me attentive and it got her to really thinking and she started reporting the heights back to me.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Agree - those devices are updated by humans and just like the gps maps, they are out of date as soon as you update them...

Wayne, we played the same 'game' when we first got the 5er

and unfortunately I always 'won' so decided I best stay alert !

SO easy to be lulled into months and miles of driving and no longer noticing...
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
And don't forget that if there had been some repair work done (ie resurfacing) the height will be off so be careful and if it seems it might be a tight fit then either find another way or go in the middle of the road and go slow as the middle might be just a tinge higher.

There is one road in a small city in MI that has a wicked curve with a railroad above it. While the height says it's high enough it was not uncommon about once a month to see a semi either stuck or trying to back up cause they were almost stuck. There was an easy way around on a different road but unless you were told about the wicked curve you would think you could make it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #11

Appreciate all the great advice. raytronx, I downloaded a couple apps from Allstay, these could just be the way to go. I think like some say, just watch for signage and be smart in that respect. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
POI Factory has a low clearance file for GPSs too. Well they have A LOT of POI files for everyone and they are free.
POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS