Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Low Mileage Question

So in looking at used class C RV's I see a good number that are 10 to 12 years old with 15,000 to 20,000 miles on them. Is this something to be concerned about?
Will I be chasing leaks, drips, deterioated (hardened) rubber componets and the like? I know this darn ethanol fuel plays heck with boat engines, motorcyles and atv's.
Not to mention an engine that has sat for many months without being started can be a real time bomb.

Grmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Grmart,
Lack of use, not abuse is the death of many motor coaches. You have a valid concern. The only thing I know you can do is have the automotive part of the coach checked out with a fine tooth comb. This includes a compression check on the engine cylinders, maintenance records, condition of all fluids, rubber parts and belts. This is not cheap. I will cost several hundred $s. Check the date code on the tires. New to you tires need to be replaced after 5 to 7 years.

For the coach, do what you said in the OP. In addition, make sure all appliances work. This includes filling the fresh water tank running all the plumbing, the WH, toilet and shower. Check all the batteries for proper water level and get a hydrometer and check each cell.

All this will lead you to understand what it will cost to make the coach like you want it. It will also determine how the price negotiations will begin.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
If the unit has a carburator, I would definately have it checked as it is one of the first things to fail with ethanol sitting around for weeks. Fuel injected engines have fewer issues with ethanol but are not immune. On the upside, the interior furnishings are likely to have much less wear and tear than a coach with lots of miles.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Mileage means nothing to me. Maintenance records mean everything. Appearence, is next, looking for the obvious neglect, leaks etc.Having a qualified mechanic do an inspection is important to check everything from belts to brakes and everything in between
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
back in May we bought our 2004 Bounder with just 6300 miles on it. The interior looked brand new and the oven, microwave, and sofa bed had never been used. We immediately changed out the tires and had a few minor issues on her maiden voyage but nothing critical. The only thing that didn't work was the washer/dryer combo water pump but I replaced that. My mechanic checked the engine and everything is fine. From my experience I say go for it especially if the price is right!
Richie, Rose and our Australian Terrier Harley
2004 Bounder 35R, 2012 ACME EZtow,2012 Kia Rio Hatchback
Gadget63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My feeling is once you start approaching the 10 year mark you need to treat each coach individually. 2K miles a year could mean the coach was for summer vacations and saw little use on all systems or half year snow birding with high house side use. Regardless of use at ten years anything made of rubber or such will need to be looked at closely. The key is continuous and proper maintenance by the past owners. A good example is if the roof seams look like either giant globs of sealant or what the original builder laid down years ago you might want to look somewhere else.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
A 10 year old coach if stored outside will likely have a lot of deterioration from sunlight and weather. This has little to do with mileage and can't be fixed with just a tire change and compression check, although those are important. Roof condition, seals and glass condition need to be evaluated.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Hey there Grmart! I just got a older model rv even know mine is much older than 10-12 years. From my experince recently i look at like this. It's old and just like when you buy anything older for that matter, some things are going to be wrong.( def look it over, make sure EVERYTHING WORKS, before you buy it.if you got that option. which you should. Don't take their word.Have them show you. (tip) go on a rainy day to see if there is any leaks.
You can chase all those things, with a newer model rv that was poorly taking care of too..do your research and Im sure you'll find a great rv!!

LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote