Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #15
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Bought a 2011 class C gasser with 3k miles on it in 2014. Changed the tires, oil and filter and have been rolling since. No big deal.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Agree, the low mileage thing is way overblown.

My 2000 class C had 16,000 miles, when I bought it in 2014. Brake calipers ( reused the brake pads ), the first year, tires the second year, and front shocks last year. Everything else is original, as far as I can tell.

I'm nearing 50,000 miles and should do the trans fluid and rear shocks. Maybe next year.
Bought ours new in February 2003 and it only has 17,000 miles on it at this time. Genset has right at 100 hours. I can't imagine anyone being scared of it since I keep it under cover and service it regularly.

Sitting out in the weather, in one spot for years would be something to look at more closely. As implied in my other post,, my main concern would be the effects the weather had on the rig. Water entry and delamination would be the main things i'd be looking for. Access the roof to check caulk and for other issues. Then look inside cabinets and in every corner for anything that looks like a water stain, wrinkle, and/or soft spot.. There's a decent chance there's something bad going on behind a water stained ceiling or wall and I wouldn't want to deal with that.

To be honest, I would not expect to find tires and batteries in good shape on a rig that had been sitting out like this. Those, along with other items mechanical, can be replaced or repaired. The engine itself would probably be fine, but again, check oil and coolant levels and at least eyeball them see if they show tell tales of a problem. Transmission, make sure the fluid is up and doesn't show contamination or have a burnt smell. Brakes are easy enough to service and would most likely need to be cleaned up at each wheel and brake fluid flushed.

A person just has to really think it out, be ready to take on any problems found, and be prepared for problems that may come up down the road.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #17

I think a fluid analysis is more of a diesel thing than gas. Like most posts, other than the tires the rig should be good to go if everything shows it has been well cared for. My brother in law is a scuba diver. A couple of years back he was diving in the Niagara River (Niagara Falls Anyone?) with fellow divers. They found what looked like a brand new ski boat at the bottom of the river about one mile from the falls. They salvaged the boat (floated it to the surface with essentially large balloons) and re-fitted what need replacing. The fuel injected Ford 351 V8 common in ski boats was in perfect order being completely sealed with a fuel injection system. Border officials said it is common for drug smugglers to steal boats, run a load of drugs across the river from Canada, then scuttle the boats.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote