Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #1

I also posted this over at Escapees but since many of you don't go there, I thought I would post it here also as it's proven very helpful to me...

Since I have a bit of a bad memory, I have found a way to keep up with the routes that we travel fairly often. I use a Michelin Road Altas (spiral wire bound) that is slightly larger than the size of a regular 3 ring notebook. I bought a package (10 sheets/pkg) of 8.5X11" overhead transparency sheets for inkjet printers (found in Wal-Mart with the computer paper). I trimmed off the paper leader strip and then taped the sheet (shiny side up) to the pages with the routes we tend to travel often. I then used a wet-erase marker (Expo Vis-a-Vis brand... also from WM) to trace out our route (different route = different colour marker). I then wrote a short description for that particular page's route segment on a index card including left or right turns, names of streets and exit numbers with a notation for the next page of the trip. The index card is slipped under the transparency sheet and secured with a paper clip. I also include a small map that I got from the Bank of America's website for the banking centers that we need to use (tucked under the transparency and paper clipped in place so I don't lose it).

I have noted down the various Interstate By Pass routes (some are a little tricky like the one for I-75 Macon By Pass since I forget until the last minute to take the By Pass).

A damp paper towel will wipe the sheet clean (or Q-Tip for the finer editing) should I need to change it.

This way I can flip open my map and have my route laid out complete with my notes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #2

I also posted this over at Escapees but since many of you don't go there, I thought I would post it here also as it's proven very helpful to me...

Since I have a bit of a bad memory, I have found a way to keep up with the routes that we travel fairly often. I use a Michelin Road Altas (spiral wire bound) that is slightly larger than the size of a regular 3 ring notebook. I bought a package (10 sheets/pkg) of 8.5X11" overhead transparency sheets for inkjet printers (found in Wal-Mart with the computer paper). I trimmed off the paper leader strip and then taped the sheet (shiny side up) to the pages with the routes we tend to travel often. I then used a wet-erase marker (Expo Vis-a-Vis brand... also from WM) to trace out our route (different route = different colour marker). I then wrote a short description for that particular page's route segment on a index card including left or right turns, names of streets and exit numbers with a notation for the next page of the trip. The index card is slipped under the transparency sheet and secured with a paper clip. I also include a small map that I got from the Bank of America's website for the banking centers that we need to use (tucked under the transparency and paper clipped in place so I don't lose it).

I have noted down the various Interstate By Pass routes (some are a little tricky like the one for I-75 Macon By Pass since I forget until the last minute to take the By Pass).

A damp paper towel will wipe the sheet clean (or Q-Tip for the finer editing) should I need to change it.

This way I can flip open my map and have my route laid out complete with my notes.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #3

Hi Lorna:

That's a gread idea!

There is an easier method which is much the same, but accomplished with the computer. I have Rand McNally's TripMaker (got it on the Internet for about $13). You put in your starting point and ending point, add any stopovers (you can force it to take a particular route) and it will give you all the maps with text directions. There's a lot more that can be done with it including an estimated cost of your trip. It also gives you the amount of time it will take. Also, it has notes as to what page to look at in the Rand McNally map book.

I've used it for several trips including the one I'm taking to Apache Flats in a couple weeks.

I also have an old briefcase for which I don't have a need for any longer seeing as I'm retired so that is my trip case (just like an airline pilot). I have the trip report, all the campground directories, notes, and some 3x5 cards if I want to make some notations. I also have the RV Journal which I just purchased from a post on IRV2. This way, the briefcase gets from the RV to the house easily.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. My DeLorme GPS LT-20 arrives next Monday and I'm excited about it. It's certainly low-cost at $99.95. It comes with the Atlas 2006 software as well.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #4

Webster,

Could you tell me where you bought
your DeLorme GPS for $99.95??

Thanks for the info.

Billie
bhappy@texxa.net
Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #5

Sure...www.DeLorme.com

You can also go to Google and put in DeLorme GPS LT20 for other places to get it. I'm waiting for mine to be delivered today.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 03-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
George, did you look at the Co-pillot system for the laptop ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #7

No, guess not...not sure what you're talking about. I already have a laptop (HP). We're going to Palo Alto next week and will be practicing with it.

Tell me more about the co-pilot laptop....

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 03-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Check this GPS out, read all the way through their thread, it's pretty amazing. It has a lot of RV specific functions. It is pricey $299. I do believe I'm gonna buy one. Just wish I could play with it first.

http://www.alk.com/copilot/laptop.asp

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote