Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #1

LOW Voltage output of Generator

I just purchased a used 2004 Gulfstream Crescendo with a Genrac Guardian 75D (42702) Generator. It all was working fine as I did my test out in the driveway until last night... all of the Gen power dropped. I had both ACs and TVs on. Now I am only seeing 42V AC at the Transfer Switch. CB1 is on. I should state that when I started it yesterday the 14A fuse blew and I replaced it. All was fine for 2 hours then it dropped out.

Any ideas on what to look at or how to proceed?

KJ
Johnsonacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #2

Sorry you're having trouble.
Did the 14A fuse blow again?
CB1 is on, what about CB2?
Was your voltage the same on both sides of the transfer switch, or off the generators two 35A breakers, to each other and to neutral? Rule out the transfer as they can be a common source of issues. Thump it with a rubber mallet. check the connection terminals, contact points and springs, coil, etc.
That control circuit fuse blowing cause for concern, as that is the exciter circuit for the alternator voltage regulator controls.
Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generac.png
Views:	111
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	132265  
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

Thank you for your response.

Fuse did not blow again. It appeared to have failed due to pressure as the glass was cracked and bottom metal end was stuck in holder.

CB1 on

CB2 closed

42V on each leg at transfer. Not enough V to trip Transfer. Removed wires from Transfer. Still 42V

Have gone through the testing procedures in this manual.
https://generator-parts.com/manuals/...-rv/0F4996.pdf

Diagnosed as V Regulator. One on order. Will report after I install.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Are you able to check the frequency?

Unless you have some linkage that is seriously binding and preventing the engine from running correctly it sounds like something died.

Keep in mind I have Onan's not the generator you have.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

Nice comprehensive troubleshooting manual! Definitely not a job for armchair / keyboard techs.
Yeah, the "transfer" should have a potential activation, meaning that it would want there to be correct voltage present to switch over to.

Often the dealer has the luxury of trends that they see, as well as a cheaper parts changing options for trouble checking those pricy PC boards.

Please let us know how it works out.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #6

I ordered a V Reg from iowa generators. 10 minute install and voltage adjustment. All is working great. I appreciate the assistance from the forum and would highly recommend anyone with a Genarac to review the manual I posted and if they have questions call the guys at Iowa Generators. Very helpful and considerate organization.

Thanks again!

Happy Travels everyone...
Old 07-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

Great news.
Thanks for the update! We all learn something.

Happy motoring

Tags
generator