RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 04:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Low Water Pressure?

At the last few campgrounds I had low pressure at my Watts water pressure regulator which was the campgrounds pressure. But this stop I have 60 pounds of pressure on my gauge and the water pressure inside is still low. It comes out high when the water is first turned on, but it reduces quickly at all faucets and the shower.

Is this my water pressure regulator or my water filter? If it is the filter can I use water without a filter for a stop or two until I can get another filter?

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 AM   #2

Probably the filter.
You should be fine using it with out one for a while.or just get one of the cheap blue ones for now on Amazon. I paid 2 for seventeen with free 2day shipping right to the campground. Just my opinion. I am sure others will tell you differently.

Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:36 AM   #3

I forget to change our whole house filter once and after about 18 months there was a noticeable drop in water pressure inside when we knew the park had good water pressure. So yes, it can be your filter. I don't see why you couldn't run with the filter housing empty for as long as needed. I know Amazon Prime can send mine in one day.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
At the last few campgrounds I had low pressure at my Watts water pressure regulator which was the campgrounds pressure. But this stop I have 60 pounds of pressure on my gauge and the water pressure inside is still low. It comes out high when the water is first turned on, but it reduces quickly at all faucets and the shower.

Is this my water pressure regulator or my water filter? If it is the filter can I use water without a filter for a stop or two until I can get another filter?
Could be a clogged mesh screen either at the sink or your regulator.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #5

Try it without the filter if it's better Great.if not look for other restrictions.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The pressure drops because the flow cannot keep up with demand, i.e. there is a constriction somewhere. The filter cartridge and the city inlet screen are the two most common places and easily fixed (replaced).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

Whole house filters can sometime clog very quickly. I always let the CG water run for a while to flush stuff out of the lines that may have accumulated silt since that site was last used. If you just hook up and turn on the water then all that accumulated silt can plug a filter in short order.

As others have said, you have a restriction somewhere and you need to find it. I use the cheap $10 regulators and usually have to change it out every couple of years due to failures. I carry a new spare just for the occassion. The more expensive regulators may not suffer the same fate but I suspect they do. Trash in the water can mess up a regulator pretty quick.

As far as using the RV without a filter, I imagine the vast majority of RV's don't even have a filter on the inlet.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ray.....the filters are cheap....you can buy them at any Home Depot or Lowes. I carry a couple of extra filters. I buy basic filters, as I just want basic crud filtered out of the system. I replace mine every 6-9 months depending on how much camping we're doing. It also prevents mold from building up when the coach sits for awhile.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I checked my aerators and my screen mesh at my regulator. There are all good. I am in Gettysburg for a few days, so I will look for a filter here. If I cannot find one I will take the old one out. The water pressure here is pretty bad, so I don't want to make it worse.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Just remove the filter cartridge for a day and give it a try. If the pressure improves noticeably, you know you need a new cartridge. If not, back to the drawing boards.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Another 2 cents worth: Be sure to run the CG water for a short time to flush dirt, spiders, roaches or whatever BEFORE hooking up your hose.

Ray
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Streetglide
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Just remove the filter cartridge for a day and give it a try. If the pressure improves noticeably, you know you need a new cartridge. If not, back to the drawing boards.
I plan on doing this in a few days when I get to a campground that has full hookups and good water.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I removed the filter today and the pressure increased a lot.

Tags
water, water pressure