Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #85

Me"
none
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #86

Quote:
Me"
none
Put me in the 55MPH groupe
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #87

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Robert,

I think your groupings need a little adjustment. How about 1) up to 55 2) 56-63 3) 64 and up to the pedal to metal.

I'll fall into #2 with 0 accidents.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't been in an accident in 40 years. My wife was hit by a drunk driver 13 years ago. We drive 60 to 65 in CA. The road conditions won't allow you to drive any faster. Practice defensive driving, you can't control what the other driver will do. Always leave yourself and out. If someone pulls in front of you, back off and regain your space cushion.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #89

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No accidents unless you count The Texas Javelina
Put me in the "Drive whatever I want catagory"
Actually I try to keep with the speed limit or 5 over until the limit gets to 65, thats my max.

Lee

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #90

1 accident, rear ended at light, 1970. "edit" forgot, my reckless ticket, age 17 (squealing tires)

1 ticket, 5 over, 1985

Driven across county, numerous times, military retired.

Licensed at age 13, yr 1956. Age 65

Drive with traffic or 5 to 9 mph over the limit.

I feel I drive defensively, so say, my wife and friends. Maybe I've been lucky! I make a-point to stay AWAY from SLOW MOVERS, and drivers whom I can't see over the front seat and/or with wrap-a-round glasses.

I feel much more comfortable in and around the fast movers. I feel the driving ability of those individuals, overall, are much better in emergency/defensive conditions. IMO, most will drive around a hazardous condition instead of into it.

Many classify the fast drives into one group, there is a difference. The fast, reckless driver is usually the one which causes a wreck. I seen it MANY times in my travels.
Backwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #91

Quote:
I think your groupings need a little adjustment. How about 1) up to 55 2) 56-63 3) 64 and up to the pedal to metal
Agreed great idea
Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #92

Every time I see one of these speed limit forums I just chuckle! As a former police office I can tell you the most dangerous person on the road is the very slow driver. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! Traffic has a self controlling speed, sometimes too fast, others, too slow.
Want to be safe; run with the traffic, if possible.
As for gas,fuel milage, if you are that concerned about a quarter mile per gallon, Sell The rig!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #93

Vintage RV Owners Club
Put us in the no accident group. Both of us drive for a living. We run with the flow of traffic where we can which is most states. Only a few like Arkansas, California, Ohio, Illinois , and Indiana , have split speed limits for trucks.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally posted by robert h:
It:s interesting,
After reading all the posts on this subject it looks like 30% agree with the 55MPH; 30% say 55 to 60MPH and the rest want to go as fast there motorhomes will go.
It might be interesting to find out which groupe are involved in the most accidents.
OK folks; lets here from you all as to your accident record.
Question?
how many accident have you been involved in; in the last 10 years?
Comon folks; no fudging.
Last ten years? Not counting my F-350 getting a mirror knocked off while parked, five: rear-ended (stopped) four times (driving, in order, an F-350 tow truck, a shuttle bus, an F-650 box truck, and my Dodge Magnum), and sent spinning off the highway in heavy rain by a green SUV (my Cadillac) when he tried to merge into my left quarter panel. I was going between 50 and 55 at the time (65MPH limit); he was obviously going faster, since he overtook me.

I average about 75,000 miles a year.

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #95

Mid Atlantic Campers
55mph was bad before, it will be bad again. 60 - 65 is just fine. If you like 55, then it is your choice to go 55, but please stay in the granny lane.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #96

Quote:
55mph was bad before, it will be bad again. 60 - 65 is just fine. If you like 55, then it is your choice to go 55, but please stay in the granny lane
My guess is that when the speed limit was 55 most drivers were going 60 t0 65. put the speed limit at 70 and the drivers will go 80MPH. no matter what the limit is most drivers will exceed it.
I live next to a four lane road in the city limit; the speed limit is 40MPH, I know the officers that patrol this strip of road; the say they don"t give citations unless the speed of a car is in excess of 60 MPH (theres a grade school right up the road) these police write tickets all day long.
If they were to raise the speed limit; the cars would only go faster; do you all see where I"m going with this?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #97

Quote:
55mph was bad before, it will be bad again. 60 - 65 is just fine. If you like 55, then it is your choice to go 55, but please stay in the granny lane
And yes I do stay in the granny lane.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 AM   #98

Texas Boomers Club
The fundamental question to me is, do I have the right to make a personal decision on the value of my time versus how much I spend on fuel, or do I need/want the government to make it for me? Personally, I'll subscribe to the former philosophy.

I normally tow around 62-63 MPH on highways with 70 MPH speed limits. However, if I'm not towing, driving a car or riding my motorcycle, I'll run with the prevailing speed of traffic.

Because of the distances involved in West Texas, we take a little different approach :

By the way, the 80 MPH speed limit applies to "light trucks pulling trailers".

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote