Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Lowering Electrical Demand

In an effort to lower my electrical demand I have done several things. I gave my son the all in one Dometic microwave/range exhaust fan/light for his new kitchen. It drew 1500 watts. I replaced it with a shelf upon which my new Kenmore microwave sits. 1000 watts. Under the shelf is a new stainless steel range hood with fan and light that is 12 volt. 0.9 watts. It matches my range and sink. The 12 volt hood is so I do not have to have my inverter on just to use the light and fan. The inverter draws 2.5 amps or 30 watts. I found an auto heater fan 3 speed switch and added it to the hood. The knob says heat. What me worry? Now I have a 3 speed fan motor.

I changed my water heater electric element from 1450 watts to 1000 watts. If I need faster hot water I can always turn on the gas too.

Now when on 30 amp shore power I can run the water heater, microwave, refrigerator and 1500 watt electric heater all on 30 amps with a small dash to spare.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Awesome modifications!! I'm taking notes... When do the solar panels go in?? LOL!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #3

One could argue that it takes the same amount of power to cook food to a specific temp, and a 1KW microwave will take 30% longer to get there over the 1.5KW.

Same for the water heater.. It's not about faster, it's the wattage required to get there. And at the end of the day it's exactly the same, and that much longer the load on the 30A waiting for the MW or WH to finish to start the next load intensive task.. :(

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

The solar panels and system, such as it was, were part of the original 5'er. In 11/09 I renovated it and made it work as it should have originally. I now have all the power I need except for A/C. I do not have a generator nor do I want one. Since the renovation of my solar system I charge my 6 -T105 batteries with solar only even when on shore power.

My object was to lower the demand or power being used at the time. Yes I will use the same total amount of power but spread out over a longer time. My goal was to be able to use everything I wanted at the same time without having to turn off one appliance to use another.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Reducing the wattage allows other appliances to operate in combinations that weren't possible with the higher wattage appliances. So you may be able to operate the microwave and electric heater or water heater at the same time where that wasn't possible before. Good Job!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
One could argue that it takes the same amount of power to cook food to a specific temp, and a 1KW microwave will take 30% longer to get there over the 1.5KW.
:(
I agree it takes the same amount of enegery, (perhaps a bit more in fact) to cook or heat water at 1,000 watts instead of 1500.

But his intent was to keep the rate of consumption down, not total consumption.

Two 1500 watt loads and your 30 amp is ... all used up

But if you can cut it down to two 1,000 watts. You have room for one more.

So he changed is rules

The old rule for 30 amps was 2 big ticket items

The new one... is 3.

Tags
electrical