Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #43
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The coach we just sold had the Onan 6.5 Propane genset and it seemed that each Spring I had to do points and condenser. If they aren't run for several months they corrode. The parts are the same as a John Deere 310 lawn tractor but still expensive.

We now have the Onan Quiet Diesel and so far am loving it. The LP genset was noisy.

Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #44
Hey Libero;of course my comment was not meant in a deragetory way.Some just like diesel others propane.Thanks for the explanation re freezing weather.
Cheers Gerald

Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #45
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
Hey Libero;of course my comment was not meant in a deragetory way.Some just like diesel others propane.Thanks for the explanation re freezing weather.
Cheers Gerald
No problem, I did not take your comment as derogatory at all, I just wanted to ensure I was understanding correctly, hence my qualification statement. Sorry if my response was perceived as being critical. Not intended at all.

I think as one reads all the posts on this subject, the general preference for gen fuel is diesel if that option is practical. For example, I would not expect to see a diesel gen in a gas coach.

I would not buy a coach with a propane gen because of the limited sized tanks and propane is not as readily available as diesel or gasoline. I want my limited supply of propane for cooking, refrigeration, HW and coach heating as required. But others might be quite happy with a propane gen. If one does not hardly use the gen, well does it really matter?

And indeed diesel engines need more heat to start than propane or even gas engines in cold temps.

In weather that we are normally using our RVs I had no problem with the usual glow plug warmup, but as temps get colder, well additional heat sources are required. I had pre warmup heaters installed in my diesel engines. The diesel gen for my S&B backup was 18kva (about 15kw with a PF of. 8) I had a thermostatically controlled block heater. Since it was on "autostart", I wanted it to go when I was not there anytime the main power failed. One time it totally failed when I was away and the cause was contaminated fuel. I changed to a propane gen for fuel management reasons only. The diesel in my opinion was better gen with better performance but all that is useless if the fuel goes bad and it will not start. (This is not normally an issue with RVs because the fuel supply is replentished quite often and fuel supplements are used.)

Hope my post provides usefull info. I always intend on being helpfull.
Libero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #46
Hallo again Libero; your last post really explained what I wanted to know.Thank you. BTW I also have a diesel coach and I love it. Cheers Gerald

Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, generator