Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

lubricating slide out rail

can anyone give me some advice on lubricating my slide out rail on my
national seaview? it seems very noisy and i dont want anything to break or
have it stop working. is this a job that i can do myself or should i take my
motorhome to camping world and let them do it? thanks for any help or advice.
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can do it your self there is lube for the rails at the camping store but I've used white lithum grease run it out lube the arms you will see where it rubs then run it in and out a few times
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My favorite stuff is white lithium grease in a spray can. It sprays all watery-like thru the small hose like carb cleaner or WD40, and magically turns into grease a few seconds later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01749 (Custom).JPG
Views:	602
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	25495  
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The guy who did our PDI told us to never lube the slide rails; he said it wasn't needed and will just attract dirt. I have always thought this made very little sense, what do you guys think?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Community Administrator

What slideout system do you have? I have Power Gear Electric and they specifically advise AGAINST putting lube on the rails. There are some bushings that can be lubed on my system.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Power Gear manual says it is ok to lube the rollers and drive shaft with light weight oil but not to use grease. I suspect your noise is from a moving internal part, roller bearing or shaft etc;

I use a spray called Dry Lube which I think I purchased at CW. It has lasted a very long time, years. It's claim is that it is specifically for slide outs. It goes on wet but then dries and does not attract dust. When I use this spray on the rollers etc; I also have hit the underside of the slide rails where the track is and then wiped it down. My thinking was more to retard rust.

I apply wax to my rails when I wax my coach.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Back to spray cans, you can also get spray graphite lube (pretty sure that's aka "dry lube") and spray silicone lube.

Graphite is a fantastic lubricant, but being graphite it's 'dirty'. Probably not much of a problem in this case!

My first choice if grease is a no-go, is spray silicone, and I have a good reason:

About 3 years ago our now-19 year old but still like new Ridgeway grandfather clock started "hanging up", the chimes would run off slow, it would stop running after a couple of hours. I assumed years of dust had taken its toll. I tried gently blowing the movement out with compressed air, to no avail. Having used spray silicone a couple of times, I found it to evaporate nearly immediately, so I thought what the hey, and I just sprayed the entire movement's gear train and everything else in sight, rather liberally too- 30 seconds later there was no evidence I'd sprayed a thing inside the clock, and 3 years later its' still running perfectly--

If it won't hurt a $2500 grandfather clock movement, I doubt it'll do much harm to a motorhome slideout!

Walmart has it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01751.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	25500  
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To answer specifically-sure this is a job you can do and should do regularly. Put it on your routine maintenence schedule.

The actual rails and the track underneath may not be the source of the noise, however you have received some good suggestions for how to lubricate them short of putting grease on. You should be able to access the moving parts of your slide through the basement doors. I always cringe a bit because I have to do some contorsions (I'm 70 years old and not as limber as I once was); but the job goes quickly.

Squirt something in there run it out and back then let us know if this helped/ or what you did instead?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide