Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Irv Gordon is working on 3 million miles on his '65 1800s, I had the pleasure of meeting him at a Volvo club meeting in San Diego back in '04. He's only used dino' oil and changed it following the manufacturer's specs. No additives, no synthetics. He rebuilt the engine at ~ 680k (didn't need it) and again at 2.6 million miles (did need it).

That being said the guys over on the Jeep Cherokee forums swear by Lucas oil treatment to solve the low oil issue some of the 4.0L Jeep engines have when wheeling when it's hot out at higher mileage (200k+). I just switched both of mine over to Rotella 5w40 synthetic and got the same results.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kskibum View Post
Again? With the additive crap?! Really? Barnam was right.
Wow! What I'd like to say would probably get me an infraction notice. Grumpy.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #17

What I find so puzzling about additives, especially Lucas, is that it is the viscosity of gear oil. Yet somehow it is deemed to be great for engines designed to run on 5W20! So the 5W20 or even 15W40 for Diesels is deemed insufficient until the 70 or 80 weight Lucas is added, creating a viscosity that mo user will be able to tell what it is. Then all of a sudden, you will be "keeping that engine alive" just like it says on the bottle.
Modern gas engines of any brand except for Saturn, will easily give 500k service if maintained.
Bobsbeatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbeatter View Post
What I find so puzzling about additives, especially Lucas, is that it is the viscosity of gear oil. Yet somehow it is deemed to be great for engines designed to run on 5W20! So the 5W20 or even 15W40 for Diesels is deemed insufficient until the 70 or 80 weight Lucas is added, creating a viscosity that mo user will be able to tell what it is. Then all of a sudden, you will be "keeping that engine alive" just like it says on the bottle.
Modern gas engines of any brand except for Saturn, will easily give 500k service if maintained.
Maybe it's some genious at Lucas that just knows how some peoples minds work. In a lot of parts stores they have these little plexiglass boxes with 2 sets of plastic gears and a hand crank to turn each set. One side has just motor oil, the other side has motor oil treated with Lucas. When you turn the one on the oil side you see the oil lubricating the gears and running back to the bottom, but then turn the other crank on the treated oil side and the oil sticks to the gears better and runs down slower. Whether it's scientifically better I don't know, but it sure does look better with that oil staying on the gears longer. I bet that little box has convinced a lot of people to buy their product.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbeatter View Post

Bob,
That's why the guys on the Cherokee forums like it, my post above should have read "oil pressure loss" was typing too fast. It's pretty much like the old STP, a thick, slippery additive. Moving to a synthetic higher weight oil does the exact same thing in older engines.

And yes, just about any engine made in the last 20 years will go 300k+ with good old dino' oil changed regularly.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #20

It is my understanding that Lucas is straight up oil. No additives. It actually relies on the additive package in the oil it's being added to. The old STP actually contained a high dosage of zinc. Lucas does not.

So yes if a worn bottom end causes low oil PSI, 80W oil will boost it. Wonder what caused the low oil PSI in the first place? Lucas? I'm just asking.
Bobsbeatter is offline   Reply With Quote