Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Having been in heavy equipment maintenance i can testify to the breaker bar method. Just be sure you keep your face away from the bar. One of my crew has all new front teeth because he slipped and the bar sprung back. :eek
And .... "tight enough" is "tighten until it strips and back off a 1/4 turn" ..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought one similar for $160 a few years ago. It is 60:1 and comes with 4 sockets and a case. Now they only sell one that is 75:1 for the same price. When you get tired of the video, click on "buy it now" to see the price. I have used mine a few times and it works great. I have also used it on a friends 2 1/2 ton military vehicle and works as advertised. As far tightening, they show how to use the handle drawback to estimate torque. But still recommend using a real torque wrench for the final torque.

Welcome To Our Home Page!
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That same $99 will buy a year of CoachNet or GS ERS and get someone else to change the tire. After a year or so, I may or may not be able to find that darn tool I bought.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #18

You've gotta watch what you buy at Princess Auto. I bought a ball joint removal/installation tool recently to rebuild the front end of our truck. It cracked while using it. Was able to return it so it was like a free rental. I saw a vise sitting on the floor in their store once that it looked like somebody had dropped. It had a chunk broken off it and you could see porous metal inside. But for the price, and for occasional work, some of their stuff is okay. I just bought a 300 ft-lb torque wrench their which *seems* okay and should be fine for the occasional use it will get. I have to wonder how far off it might be if I got it calibrated? It did come with a certificate though of the guy in China that calibrated it!

I've heard a lot of gearheads rave about Harbor Freight stuff over the years. I dropped into one of their stores recently and was rather unimpressed. A salesman even said they are getting out of sockets and socket sets. I'd take Princess Auto any day Harbor freight.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harbor Freight and Princess Auto, along with many others, is just cheap "Chinesium" garbo. I wouldn't by precision tools like torque wrenches or micrometers from them. There are certain things I'll try. If they break take them back and get back your money and that's the end of it.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #20

If you want to go a little upscale try Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #21

I have the 4' pipe on a breaker bar. My old back does not like me breaking nuts loose that are tightened to 450 ft lbs.
Got a cheap torque multiplier off EBAY to remove nuts. So far it has worked well. Came with correct size socket for my lug nuts. Much easier to handle and operate than the 4' pipe and breaker bar. I have not removed them MH yet just in case torque amplifier fails.
I do not change tires myself. I have road service for that. But I do remove tires at home other maintenance on MH. Moving tires at home is not a problem with a tractor and front end loader.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
That same $99 will buy a year of CoachNet or GS ERS and get someone else to change the tire.
Exactly what I was thinking.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote