Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lug nut torque multiplier wrench!

Just bought one of these to carry in the coach. Good deal for $99.00 I think.
Lug Nut Torque Multiplier | Princess Auto

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

Dummy me, I went in and bought a 600ftlb torque wrench , 3/4" drive. 4ft long and heavy. But , it's chrome and very impressive.
Good old Princess Auto, the place I miss the most when I'm south of the border.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #3

The use of a Multiplier, and a Torque Wrench, are each to it's own, and compatible. Though neither are really necessary even on my 500 ft/lb requirement.

Ed
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
The use of a Multiplier, and a Torque Wrench, are each to it's own, and compatible. Though neither are really necessary even on my 500 ft/lb requirement.

Ed
What do you use?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

I looked around the net & found much discussion among mechanics of Princess Auto & Power Fist brands, generally considered to be cheap at best, junk at worst. I have no experience w/either.

I carry a SnapOn brand multiplier for 22.5" tire changes when needed (& we have needed to change a tire on occasion). I got it used off eBay, ~$150 iirc. Works great, I replace the 475 ft-lb lug nuts using a quality torque wrench on the multiplier. I'm not a large guy, but can manage the chore w/the 3.33X multiplier. I recommend carrying a multiplier & torque wrench; you'll find that some tire service outfits show up unable to deal w/500ft-lbs, and want to put lug nuts back on using an air gun w/zero calibration (i.e. they want to guess on the lug nut torque).

You can accomplish the same thing w/a long, heavy duty, "cheater" bar as long as you have a pivot support that will adjust for lug nut height. Here is a thread entitled "How to replace hubs, calipers, rotors, bearings, & seals" that details the "special tools" a decent DIY'er can make to accomplish the job (and more).
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I looked around the net & found much discussion among mechanics of Princess Auto & Power Fist brands, generally considered to be cheap at best, junk at worst. I have no experience w/either.

I carry a SnapOn brand multiplier for 22.5" tire changes when needed (& we have needed to change a tire on occasion). I got it used off eBay, ~$150 iirc. Works great, I replace the 475 ft-lb lug nuts using a quality torque wrench on the multiplier. I'm not a large guy, but can manage the chore w/the 3.33X multiplier. I recommend carrying a multiplier & torque wrench; you'll find that some tire service outfits show up unable to deal w/500ft-lbs, and want to put lug nuts back on using an air gun w/zero calibration (i.e. they want to guess on the lug nut torque).

You can accomplish the same thing w/a long, heavy duty, "cheater" bar as long as you have a pivot support that will adjust for lug nut height. Here is a thread entitled "How to replace hubs, calipers, rotors, bearings, & seals" that details the "special tools" a decent DIY'er can make to accomplish the job (and more).
Wow that's some inovative stuff on that link. I usually don't buy Princess Auto tools but $99.00 wasn't a great investment. The tool is a 56 to 1 reduction. I fugured good to "break loose" the nuts. The unique design of anchoring off the nut beside is a little user freindly.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post

I bought a similar one off ebay awhile back for a few more dollars. Came with four sockets and a plastic carrying case. I used it once to give it a try. Sure did break the lug nut loose without effort.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

On the farm we just use a breaker bar and a 4 foot piece or pipe.

Of course that was in the old days. These days we have impact wrenches but, I understand you don't have impact wrenches on the go.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
On the farm we just use a breaker bar and a 4 foot piece or pipe.

Of course that was in the old days. These days we have impact wrenches but, I understand you don't have impact wrenches on the go.
I have a pipe named Jethro. Yep! It's from the farm.
Also still have PAT, a 6 lb ball peen. Stands for Permanent Adjusting Tool.
If you were under a car you could just hollar for the tools by name.
I don't require any upgrades. But, then, I don't change any tires. Nononono!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
These days we have impact wrenches but, I understand you don't have impact wrenches on the go.
I must have missed that memo as I carry one that's rated for 650 ft lbs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
This is a very poor quality unit that is sold by lots of outlets. You may be able to get the lug nut off but do not use it for tightening the nut if you want it to be any where close to the correct torque. You must use a certified multiplier and torque wrench
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #12

The ad didn't have the multiplier ratio, so I sent an email to Princess, they responded w/ 1 : 55.7, and said they modified the ad to show this. It also isn't in the PDF manual they post. That's some pretty screaming high multiplication. But it also means you have to wrap the handle 55.7 times the needed rotation. If a lug nut takes 1/2 turn to break free, that's 27.8 rounds of the handle.

The other thing about using a multiplier is the gear wind up. Takes some rotation to get the gears to mesh. Its a long time ago I last used mine (thanks be), but I'll guess it took 1/4 turn to wind up 4X (3.33 net after friction losses, about 17%) to where turning the input would turn the output. Guessing again, that the Princess unit takes the same wind up ratio, that'd be 55.7/4 x .25turns = 3.5 full wraps of the handle to wind up the gears. I can see that trying to install lug nuts to a closely specified torque w/that would be tricky. Definitely great for busting them loose & working up a sweat rotating the handle tho.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
What do you use?

A GOOD breaker bar with a thick wall pipe extension (cheater bar).

To torque down, my weight times length of cheater bar to bring me to my toes equals torque needed. In my case, needing 500 foot pounds, 500 divided by my weight equals hand placement point on the cheater bar.

Remember that the need for torquing came before the torque wrench!

Ed
Navy Retired
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #14

Having been in heavy equipment maintenance i can testify to the breaker bar method. Just be sure you keep your face away from the bar. One of my crew has all new front teeth because he slipped and the bar sprung back. :eek