Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Lug nuts on a 5th wheel

I read a lot of posts concerning tire pressures, wheel lug nut torque etc.
1. I have a 30 yr old 5er. There are no tire pressures stamped on the wheels. New tires (Carlisle) indicate 80psi, and Carlisle says they must be inflated to that. How do I know if those wheels will stand that pressure?
2. Is it advisable to use a torque wrench on these wheels? What would the amt of torque be?
3. I've read pros and cons on using never-sieze on the lugs. Any comments?
4. Just installed all new self adjusting brake assemblies. Is there a method of "burning them in"? Do I need to make a number of stops so they all self adjust prior to going on the road?
Obviously I'm new at this!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
I read a lot of posts concerning tire pressures, wheel lug nut torque etc.
1. I have a 30 yr old 5er. There are no tire pressures stamped on the wheels. New tires (Carlisle) indicate 80psi, and Carlisle says they must be inflated to that. How do I know if those wheels will stand that pressure?
2. Is it advisable to use a torque wrench on these wheels? What would the amt of torque be?
3. I've read pros and cons on using never-sieze on the lugs. Any comments?
4. Just installed all new self adjusting brake assemblies. Is there a method of "burning them in"? Do I need to make a number of stops so they all self adjust prior to going on the road?
Obviously I'm new at this!
1. If it says 80 lbs on the side of the tire, that is the max pressure which you would run if you were close to the max weight rating of the tire. Normally, you'll run less than that. The wheel, unless damaged, should take that pressure easily.
2. I always torqued my lug nuts, but lots of people don't with no ill effects. More important is to re-torque them after driving 50 miles or so.
3. I've never used an anti-seize compound on lug nuts. It will change the amount of torque you should put on the nuts because it also acts as a lubricant.
4. No burn in required.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

barmcd answered your questions correctly
Old 01-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

1. 80 lbs. should be fine.
2. Always use a torque wrench on all your wheels.
3. No to anti-sieze.
4. Yes, there is a burnishing process.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would expand a bit on question #1 - if your new tires are the same size and load rating as the OEM tires then the wheels will match the pressure rating. But if the tires and/or wheels have been replaced with non-OEM units than all bets are off. But, all is not lost - the wheels will have their pressure rating stamped on them. You just have to dismount a tire and look somewhere on the inside of the wheel to find it.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #6

1) Tires same as OEM then OK
2) Yes lug nuts should be torqued (trailers/cars/trucks etc)
https://www.etrailer.com/question-75604.html
3) No anti-seize, lubes, grease etc. just wire brush threads
4) Self adjusting trailer brakes should be 'manually adjusted' after install/repairs etc. so that they can begin working right away.
Then they need to be burnished in (broke in/set)

Good electric brake information.......pg. 11 breaking them in/pg. 12 syching tow-trailer/pg. 13 adjustment
http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...ric_Brakes.pdf

Tags
5th wheel