Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #1

I want to warn you all about Lyme disease. Be very careful when you are enjoying the great outdoors. I spent the night in the ER on an iv and have 2 wks left of antibiotics. I am in a lot of pain, running fever for 3 days now and very very tired. The doctor says that I have a few more days of this to look forward to. YAY me.

Please be careful and take precautions to prevent tick bites. There is a lot of info out there. You really don't want to go through this.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #2

I want to warn you all about Lyme disease. Be very careful when you are enjoying the great outdoors. I spent the night in the ER on an iv and have 2 wks left of antibiotics. I am in a lot of pain, running fever for 3 days now and very very tired. The doctor says that I have a few more days of this to look forward to. YAY me.

Please be careful and take precautions to prevent tick bites. There is a lot of info out there. You really don't want to go through this.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Mamaloya...
I am sorry to hear what you are going through...Any idea where you got the tick?

This may also serve as a reminder to make sure we treat our pets with something like "Frontline Plus" to keep them safe AND to keep them from passing the ticks onto our family...

Good Luck and get better soon....
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #4

You're lucky you found someone who diagnosed it right away. It's not easy to diagnose and many people have suffered a long time before discovering the problem.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #5

I am so sorry to hear about your tick bite. Thankfully you were treated. For people with Dogs, there is a special shot for lymes that our vet gives our dogs once a year. They won't get it then...too bad there isn;t one for people.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #6

WOW to sorry to hear that but fortuntely you were diagnosed quickly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mamaloya:

Please be careful and take precautions to prevent tick bites. There is a lot of info out there. You really don't want to go through this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #7

OK, I am back up and around now. I hated being sick that long.

As for where I got the tick, it was in Yorktown VA.

As for a lyme vaccine for people, there was one, but it was pulled from the market.

As for the frontline plus, I was under the impression that a 12 wk puppy was too young. He is 15 weeks now.

Funny thing is that I was the only one who did NOT go into the woods. I stayed around the campsite. Although, the dog does cuddle with me the most because I am "da mama".

Now that I am up and about, I will call the vet and talk about frontline.

Most of my time right now will be taken up putting my house back together. It is amazing how much damage can be done by 5 kids and a dog when dad is in charge. LOL We are also going out of town this coming weekend again (not really camping, but in the camper to a homeschool convention). So, I have to still go slow as I am still a little tired, put the house together, and finish fine tuning this trip. YIKES!!!

OH, also remember that even if you don't have a pet, you can still get a tick.

One other thing that we have decided is to switch to all white sheets in the camper that way we can check them for ticks when we are in an area that may have them.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm sorry to have to tell everyone this, But, Frontline will not spare your dog from Lymes disease. Frontline is a "systemic medication" meaning absorbed through the skin and into the system. When a tick bites yer animal it secretes the virus into the wound, and then takes up the frontline when it drinks the victems body fluids and dies. It may help by causing the tick to die sooner, but the damage has been done.
When we walk our dogs during tick season we spray them down with an aresol flea and tick repelant before walking in woods or high grass. This deters the ticks the minute they climb aboard. IMHO, hope this helps, oh by the way, vets will tell you no frontline until the pup has finished all it's shots 12 wks.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mamaloya,
Glad to hear you're on the mend. I've known some that have had a difficult time getting it diagnosed resulting in much pain and a long recovery.

Where I live ticks are plentiful and because of the mild winter this year is supposed to be worse. I swear I'm a tick magnet because I can be walking in my driveway or going to the mailbox and find a tick on me. At the end of April when we were getting the MH ready for our 1st trip this year I picked off 4 of them. Had a company spray for them while we were gone and so far I haven't seen anymore. I faithfully do tick checks.

On the lighter side, my DW received this e-mail today.

TICK WARNING!
I hate it when people forward bogus warnings, and I have even done it myself a couple times unintentionally. but this one is real, and it's
important. So please send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list.

If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks due to the warm weather and asks you to take your clothes off and dance
around with your arms up, DO NOT DO IT!! THIS IS A SCAM!! They only want to see you naked.

I wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so stupid.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry to hear of your illness... it sounds like it was awful. Glad you're feeling better now, though. We don't have ticks here but travel to places where they do, so I've started using the frontline when we're about to set off to an area that has them. So far, so good. Good to know about the aerosol repellant, though!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hey Brenda..
you may want to make sure you are using the Frontline PLUS...I cannot remember the difference between the two - but I knew I should use the Plus version (thought it was for ticks- but not sure..
..Okay... had to find the difference...

Frontline Plus...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">All the benefits of FRONTLINE Top Spot with an extra ingredient,
(S)-methoprene. Not only kills adult fleas, but also breaks the flea life cycle by killing their eggs and larvae, preventing re-infestation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you! Good info!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #13

That is great news you were able to get it diagnosed so quickly and placed on antibiotics. Many times people don't realize (nor do their GP's) that they have been infected and if it's too late, then they can have symptoms for years. Unfortunately people in this category often live in constant pain and are 'crippled' by the disease. My father passed away last year due to complications that started with a tick bite. His GP at the time did not consider Lyme disease and by the time he actually was tested, it wasn't detectible. We never got a chance to confirm it was Lyme but he had all the symptoms and several doctors were calling his illness, "the mystery disease".

Keep yourselves and your pets tick free. Check yourself and them routinely. Not all ticks have Lyme, but save the tick if you can if you are bitten (place it in baggie in the freezer) just in case. Even if a tick has Lyme and bites you, if you remove it quick enough the virus may not have been transmitted!

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #14

I received an emal the other day referrencing ticks. The advice was to use a swab staurated with dishwasher soap and place it on the tick. The email said it would back out in about 15 to 20 seconds. I haven't had to use this trick yet, thank goodness. However, my daughter said the tick would up-chuck and leave the saliva which causes the infection. So I do not know if this is a good way to remove a tick or not. s/Toby