Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
I am getting a new coach and thought I would add a macerator system. I need one for some location that I plan to stay frequently, like at a relatives house. We have a 50 amp hookup, water, but no sewer.

We use the macerator and hose to pump our waste into the septic tank (150' from the coach). I used a portable macerator on my old coach for this, but it is not rated for that long distance, even though it did work.

I am looking for the best system available that really does a good job of macerating the wast better than the current one, and pumping the waste to a greater distance.

Do you have any recommendations on a brand &/or model that I should consider having installed?
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My 2005 Monaco Diplomat came with a SaniCon system which I really liked. We bought a new coach last week and before we even took delivery, I ordered another SaniCon system for it.

Tip.....The SaniCon's come mounted in a grey plastic box that is very bulky. On both the previous coach and my new coach, I tossed the box and mounted just the macerator. Getting rid of the box gives you many more ways to mount the unit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using the RV Macerator Pump & RV Waste Disposal Accessories system (Clean Dump) for 3 plus years and am very happy. I chose it because of the quality of the hose and fittings.

I believe they all use more or less the same pump / macerator.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another recommendation for Clean Dump.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Far as I know they all use more or less the same pump motor, And the same pump, only the macerator and connections are different.

(The macerator is different than the pump? As a matter of fact, yes)

If you look down the "throat" of the unit, you see some blades of some kind, That is the macerator, Designed to stir things up and perhaps break (Macerate) the larger chunks of whatever is chunky.
Below that is a metal plate
Below that is the pump.

I use a Flo-Jet portable.. When I need it it is great
When I do not need it the 3 hose is a lot faster.

ONE problem since I only use it when needed.. The blasted pump sizes up on me.. Well on the bottom end of the motor is the shaft with a slot in it, Turn it in the proper direction (Easily figured out) for one revolution before connecting and it works great.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I use a Flo-Jet portable.. When I need it it is great
When I do not need it the 3 hose is a lot faster.

ONE problem since I only use it when needed.. The blasted pump sizes up on me.. Well on the bottom end of the motor is the shaft with a slot in it, Turn it in the proper direction (Easily figured out) for one revolution before connecting and it works great.
Same with our Flo-Jet. A decent size flat screw driver gets it going. There is also a fuse hidden in the handle of the control I found the hard way after removing all the screws and finding there is a small cover you can remove to get at it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tedgard01,
2x on the Sani-Con. I've had my unit since about 07. It works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again. My installation looks like this:
Tetford Sani-Con Macerator - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
I got the unit with grey water bypass. For me, the grey water bypass is a must have feature.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
Thanks to all that responded.

I will look up the suggested macerators and see if I should stay with what I have or upgrade it.

Thanks again,
Ted
Old 03-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
I decided on the Sani-Con, box mount, permanent installation.

I like the fact that with the unit attached via the shorter 3" hose, I can easily disconnect it when I wish to switch over and use the Rhino hose.

I especially need to have the 150' pumping capability, and up to a 9' incline. One place I park regularly requires this. I have been using the portable Flow-Jet, and it is only rated for 50'. Regardless, even at the 150' it worked fine, but only for a temporarily solution.

I hope the Sani-Con is a better solution.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #10

Macerators hate hair, make sure you install hair screens on your shower drain.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Macerators hate hair, make sure you install hair screens on your shower drain. Steve
Which macerator do you have?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #12

Sani-con, although it is several years old. The issue with mine happens in the transition between the large diameter waste hose and the input end of the sani-con. Hair will back up there and eventually create a wonderful filter! There have been several discussions on this.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Sani-con, although it is several years old. The issue with mine happens in the transition between the large diameter waste hose and the input end of the sani-con. Hair will back up there and eventually create a wonderful filter! There have been several discussions on this.
I see. Well in-spite of the hair issue, would you rather use the macerator most of the time or use the regular 3" hose?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #14

So the hair issues can be controlled by using screens, easy fix.

Recently there was a very long thread on irv2 debating macerator versus stinky slinky. Each side had great points and personal preferences, some had very legitimate reasons for a macerator (uphill drains, long runs, etc).

When I first bought my coach (used) the macerator was plugged so until I was able to get it cleared I used a Drain-Master 3". In the 18 months since I have been very happy with the Drain Master and even though the macerator is fixed I have continued to use the 3 inch. I think however this is a personal preference and one system is as good as the other.

Now, being a person always looking for fallback and redundant systems I converted all the fittings on both the SaniCon and extensions to the same cam-loc system that Drainmaster uses. Makes switching between either system very easy and leak proof! Did it to the fresh water system as well, much better than the quick connects usually used for water lines.

Steve