Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Magazine choice

Hey All,
Just curious if any one has a subspription to a Motorhome magazine. I would like to get one as I enjoy reading them while camping and when going to bed to help sleephehe..I am looking at either "Motorhome" or "Family Motor Coaching"..perhaps both. I did not see a real benifet in joining FMCA other then the mag and some medical evacuation plan. I already have the Good Sam Club with all the extra mail they send..

Thanks for any input.
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'd say save your money. MH Mag is not half the content it used to be. When we first suscribed (when we got our coach in 2006) it was over 100 pages. Now it hovers around 60 & is mainly ads. I let our subscription lapse when it came up for renewal over a year ago. Not worth the price they're asking for the subscription & I haven't missed it.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I'd say save your money. MH Mag is not half the content it used to be. When we first suscribed (when we got our coach in 2006) it was over 100 pages. Now it hovers around 60 & is mainly ads. I let our subscription lapse when it came up for renewal over a year ago. Not worth the price they're asking for the subscription & I haven't missed it.

L-
I second that. Our subscription runs thru next march. Will really think hard about renewing. We belong to FMCA when Good Sam expires it definitely is going to go away. I empty my shredder almost everyday because of their junk mail.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Barney,
I've never gotten the "spam" from FMCA that Good Sam sends out. I have been succesful in getting GS to stop sending all the junk mail. If it's a choice between the two, I'd go FMCA and Family Motor Coaching in heartbeat. As previously mentioned, Motorhome is not much of a magazine any more.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I get motorhome and agree with all the above.
Also get good sam, way too much junk mail, but the magazine isn't awful, and the $10 discount at good sam campgrounds more than makes up for it.
Just started getting FMCA, though I only rmemeber thinking I should join, not actually doing it.

Are there any others?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
With FMCA you get zero, zip, nada spam mail. Plus the magazine is better, you do get a campground discount at participating campgrounds, a medical evac program. Plus did I mention you don't get spam mail?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #7

I take Motorhome and will continue to do so. I believe it has been a victim of the economic downturn that the whole industry (or country) has faced. Most periodicals are supported more by ads than by subscriptions, so if the companies go in the drink, the ads dry up and the pages become fewer. As the economy recovers, this should take care of itself, and the magazine should also recover. I agree there is way too much junk sent out, but maybe the thinking is that if a few bite on the offers, they cover the cost of the mailings. (And surely the USPS appreciates the business.) I also get Highways/RV View, or whatever it's called now, from Camping World. That one seems to be expanding...or is consolidation a better term. Whatever is going on, I wish the best for the industry and for RVing in general. It's a great way of life.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks All,
Great input, I will join the FMCA now and and just pick up an issue of MH now and then. I would agree that the Highways/RV from CW is getting interesting and like to read as well.
Again Thanks
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Question

Retired & Happy.........
This if off topic, please forgive me..... but I've been wondering where you get the icons/avatars with the USA map to put the states you've been in. I like those and want to put up one of my own. Thanks!
Jim&Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #10

Cindy and Jim,

Try www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap It will give you a choice of US States, Mexican States, or Canadian Provinces. When you fill in your choices, you can save it, but it may have to to a separate file on your copmputer. It's been a while since I visited a new state and had to update my avatar. Let me know if you have a problem accessing it.

Edit: that's an epg in case the line obscures it.

Ken