Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
additives are sure making someone rich! Some of my more mechanically inclined friends have tried some things outta desperation. (barrs stop leak, seafoam, etc) The less mechanically inclined will profess with all the salesmanship they were born with how "that stuff is great" or "never had a problem" to various "pour in" treatments.
Cant say with any definite conviction Ive had an "oil" related failure. The days of keeping 40 types of oils around for various machines have passed. 1 oil works in everything. Makes life so much easier from a "fleet" standpoint.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
The days of keeping 40 types of oils around for various machines have passed. 1 oil works in everything. Makes life so much easier from a "fleet" standpoint.
Not sure I agree with this statement. Wet clutch motorcycles with shared transmissions specify either a MA/MA2 high zinc 10w30 (newer Hondas), 10w40 (most metric motorcycles/ATVs), 20w50 newer Harleys/BMW's, SAE 60 older Harleys.

Small engine gasoline lawnmowers/generators specify SAE30, preferably synthetic.

Air compressors often specify synthetic compressor oil.

Many Toyota's/Honda's specify API SN 0w20 synthetic, many Honda's/Fords specify API SN 5w20, many Chevy's specify API SN Dexos1 5w30, many European cars specify European spec oils, brand dependent.

2007 and newer diesels specify API CJ4+ 15w40, soon 10w30 likely with a new API spec.

Boats specify marine oils.

Classic cars specify high zinc oils.

Race cars specify race oils.

Follow very carefully the recommended viscosity, API spec, and any other manufacturers spec and you will be fine. But you could end up with a different oil for each application. I pretty much have, with no more than 2 in my "fleet" sharing the same oil.

If you have a question about a specific engine, I can look up most and see what the oil specs are.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #17

Here is a tech service bulletin from the leader in warranted extended interval synthetic lubricants and what they have to say about oil additives from http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...pdf?zo=1181889 .

" Aftermarket oil additives are not necessary in fully-formulat-
ed oils. Fully-formulated, high-quality engine oils are blend-
ed with additives that are carefully balanced to be synergistic,
performing well together. Tampering with the balance by
adding other chemicals can adversely affect overall oil perfor-
mance, sometimes dramatically."

REFERENCES:
1. Rudnick, Leslie R. Lubricant Additives Chemistry and
Applications. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2003.
2. Prolong Super Lubricants, Inc.
3. QUAKER STATE SUBSIDIARIES SETTLE FTC CHARGES AGAINST SLICK 50
4. FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary
5. http://www.ftc.gov/os/1999/05/duralubecmp.pdf
6. shellcastrol.htm
7. ASHLAND, INC
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Here is a tech service bulletin from the leader in warranted extended interval synthetic lubricants and what they have to say about oil additives from http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...pdf?zo=1181889 ....
Pretty much EXACTLY the bias we EXPECT to hear from a manufacturer of these additives, especially Amsoil. Something about the inate need to perpetuate the species, as Darwin would say.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
Pretty much EXACTLY the bias we EXPECT to hear from a manufacturer of these additives, especially Amsoil. Something about the inate need to perpetuate the species, as Darwin would say.
Umm...AMSOIL "The First in Synthetics" does not make nor recommend motor oil additives. As a retired Shell Oil chemist, I would have to agree.

I guess you didn't read the references from the Federal Trade Commission...
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I used some of that stuff in my car about 40 years ago, and both of my kids were born naked. I ain't doin' that no more!
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think most additives are a big rip off. The only one I agree with is Shaeffer oil. They manufacture a high quality motor oil and lubricants. If you use only the best, you should have no problems.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I think most additives are a big rip off. The only one I agree with is Shaeffer oil. They manufacture a high quality motor oil and lubricants. If you use only the best, you should have no problems.
I don't think Schaeffer's makes pour-in motor oil additives either. Most motor oil and auto companies don't. And in fact, recommend against them.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #23

Before using an oil additive check the FTC website and you will find just about every oil additive on the market has been sued for false advertisement. Schaffer Oil and many other oils are good oil, but several years ago I ran a controlled test on 15 school buses with Mobil petroleum oil, Schaffer synthetic oil, and AMSOIL. We did oil analysis every 5,000 miles to determine the quality of the oil, metal wear, total base number, and looked at several other specifications. During the test it was determined the Mobile oil was breaking down between 5,000 - 10,000 miles, the viscosity changed and the TBN dropped very low. The Schaffer oil was breaking down between 15,000 - 20,000 miles and showing high metal wear, change in viscosity, and the TBN was very low in all the buses. The school board stopped the test when the AMSOIL buses had 50,000 miles on the oil. Oil analysis showed the oil was still suitable for continued use. The oil was still in same viscosity, there was very little metal wear, and the TBN was still very high. Today the school buses are going over 100,000 miles on oil changes.
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #24

Welcome to irv2.com Alpinecummin! We look forward to more of your real world fleet experience.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
I used some of that stuff in my car about 40 years ago, and both of my kids were born naked. I ain't doin' that no more!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Welcome to irv2.com Alpinecummin! We look forward to more of your real world fleet experience.
That another Amsoil buddy?

Without some form of proof, its all hearsay.. I can find at least 2 studies right now that say Mobil came out on top..

Wasnt this thread about oil 'additives' and not the oil itself?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
The thread was originally about oil additives. I know because I started the thread. I like the comments and perspectives on motor oil also though.

Very interesting about the school buses using Amsoil. I've always known that Amsoil was a very good product, that is impressive though!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
That another Amsoil buddy?
Sorry, I don't think I know him. But I do know a lot of school buses run AMSOIL to extend their oil change intervals to save time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Without some form of proof, its all hearsay.. I can find at least 2 studies right now that say Mobil came out on top..
I'd also like to see more info on his testing. I'd like to read those professional "studies" you mentioned. Some of the amateur "studies" I've seen later had retractions.

If Mobil was a better oil, you would think they would recommend/warranty extended oil change intervals during the factory warranty period or extend oil changes for severe operating conditions like motorhomes. They don't. Only AMSOIL does. And has done so for 40 years. With no proven oil failures.

And AMSOIL has always shown it outperforms Mobil and the others. Exxon and the others do not dispute that. Exxon and the others would sue if it was not true. They haven't.